Parkwood springs

Hi, thanks for the prompt replies.

The exact area of the site the corner highlighted.

parkwoodsprings4fh.th.jpg

Very interesting info about the chipshop, was it on that corner? There is a lot of brick rubble in the undergrowth that suggested to me the possibility of previous housing.

Any other information would be brilliant.

No the chip shop was at the top of Vale.

The area you have ringed was terraced housing and a grocery shop on the corner. Here are the residents.

Vale Road 1948

(Douglas Road)

page 2

2 THOMPSON WALTER, GREENGROCER*

8 SAYLES CYRIL, VARNISH MAKER*

10 ALDRED KENNETH, PAINTER & DECORATOR*

12 BARNETT BERNARD*

16 FISHER STANLEY,(J) SILVERSMITH*

18 MADDEN MRS FLORENCE*

22 HALE WILLIE, ENGINE DRIVER*

24 BRIDGSTOCK WILLIAM ARTHUR, SILVER FINISHER*

30 LOOSEMORE MRS ALICE*

32 MARRISON JAMES WHITTAKER,CLERK*

34 THOPSON GEORGE*

36 MARRISON JAMES WHITTAKER JNR,STEEL WORKER*

40 BLACKWELL MRS LILY*

42 BAGNALL MRS NELLIE*

44 ATKIN WILLIAM HENRY,LORRY DRIVER*

48 JOHNSON EDRIC HOOTEN,ENGINE DRIVER*

50 PARKIN ERNEST (J) BRICKLAYER*

58 FOSTER HAROLD*

62 McDERMOTT JOHN WILLIAM EDWIN*

64 NAYLOR REV.H. H PRIEST IN CHARGE ST MICHAEL&ALL ANGELS*

66 GILBERT FRANK, ENGINE DRIVER*

68 CARRIGAN DANIEL, STEEL EXAMINER*

70 SENDOLL ARTHUR, LABOURER*

76 JOHNSON JAMES*

78 CLAYTON MRS DORIS MARION*

90 BURGIN HARRY, GOODS LOADER*

92 WOOD WILLIAM*

94 LOWE ARTHUR*

96 KEMSHALL ARTHUR,(J) BUTCHER*

98 HARLEY ERNEST V, MOTOR DRIVER*

100 KELLY MRS ANNIE GERTRUDE*

102 THORNTON LUTHER,GRINDER*

104 MYERS JOSEPH*

106 TURNER HARRY, FRIED FISH DEALER*

(MOUNT ROAD)***

Thanks a lot, thats very impressive, could i ask where that information is from so i can reference it in my assignment?

Have read George's account, he accepted the hospitality then went away and denegrated the area, not impressed. Most of Sheffield was industrial and foggy.

Wallace Road where he stayed was railway terraced housing, not unlike the terraced property in Walkley. Vale road was sparsley poulated in comparison

with some good sized houses and large gardens.

The information came from Kelly's directory, and ive just given you the side of Vale road you were interested in.

A detailed map of the housing can be found here.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~exy1/maps/Sheffield_parishes_north.jpg

And I think there is one picture of a house on Vale Rd on picture sheffield, This was Taylors and on the opposite side of Vale Rd.

Hi,

:help: I've just been set the brief for my latest Architecture Assignment at Uni and the site is Vale Road - just below the carpark to the Ski Village, Parkwood Springs.

I'm currently doing Site investigation and i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the history of the area?

Either from personal knowledge or a point in the direction of any good resources on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

It was a wonderful community with three great Pubs: The Parkwood, The Douglas and the Reindeer. The houses were at one time owned by the railway company and housed their eployees, indeed they may have been built as such. I was engaged to a Janet Smythe who lived with her parents on Wallace Road, her father was a guard on the trains. I beleive they would have been demoliished around 1975. Hope that helps

It was a wonderful community with three great Pubs: The Parkwood, The Douglas and the Reindeer. The houses were at one time owned by the railway company and housed their eployees, indeed they may have been built as such. I was engaged to a Janet Smythe who lived with her parents on Wallace Road, her father was a guard on the trains. I beleive they would have been demoliished around 1975. Hope that helps

Interesting that the railway company built the estate. A map I have dated 1868 shows the original layout of the Parkwood Spring Estate but I suspect some of the road names may have been changed at a later date. It was very close to the engine shed and only a short walk along the line to the goods station.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/ParkwoodSpring.jpg

There's an early photo of a detached house on Vale road which suggests that some of the housing was quite decent.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06049

Janet Smythe who lived with her parents on Wallace Road, her father was a guard on the trains. I beleive they would have been demoliished around 1975. Hope that helps

I remember Janet's father Jim nice bloke is he still around.

The railway company only built some of the housing mainly Wallace Road,

the picture of the House on Vale Road was Taylor's the local milkman.

and as for,

" It was very close to the engine shed and only a short walk along the line to the goods station."

The wife's cousin got killed doing exactly that on his way to work for the railway company.

I remember Janet's father Jim nice bloke is he still around.

Jim was indeed a top bloke but sadly he died quite a few years ago. They moved to Kinnaird Avenue on Shiregreen, close by me. His wifeJ ean is still living as far as I know but I have'nt seen her for about a year.

Did you know either John or Steve Searle who lived on Douglas Road and frequented The Douglas or Lorraine Smith who lived Just below the Smythes and was a friend of Janet?

and as for,

" It was very close to the engine shed and only a short walk along the line to the goods station."

The wife's cousin got killed doing exactly that on his way to work for the railway company.

:confused: My apologies if my comment was out of order. I'll keep my nose out in future ;)