Parkwood springs

That’s my dad he doesn’t know how to use the internet he is still in the fifties and sixties and computer are a bad thing in is mind and all the good things that’s Sheffield stands for like steel, beer and knife and forks are all gone and Sheffield is a dead city on that point I have to agree with him, but he only move a stones throw away from Parkwood spring and is good memories that he told us over and over again he now lives on the opposite hill halfway up Oxford street so he can see Parkwood springs.

Does he still have the beard.

I'm surprised that no ones mentioned the fortified WW2 anti-aircraft gun emplacement that was somewhere near the top of the ski slope. As a boy in the late fifties, we would cross the footbridge over the railway, climb the hill and play around in the emplacement. The guns were of course removed. There might be someone out there who used to man them!

Edited by carosio

Hi carosio

Yeh my dad used to be in the home guard up there and he used to man the guns and we played up there when we were kids,it was very scary on really foggy saturday mornings no one around no noise very erie.There we some drawings on the wall and in the huts.

Hi Mr Hinchliff,a sad note here ,does your dad know Gary is no longer with us,he had a massive heart attack last year.I used to see a lot of him.Please remember me to you dad he will know me for having the cleanest Triumph in the club.I still see Dennis Dawson he is still in the owners club and still has a few bikes.

Yeh my dad used to be in the home guard up there and he used to man the guns

I think my father had some experience there as he was in home guard. I might be wrong but were there also some metal rings (anchors) for barage balloons there?

Hi my dad lived on Douglas Road he was called Douglas Ward remember him at all?

What was your wife's maiden name Pressy?

My late Father (Cecil Swift) was born in Vale road.

His brothers and sisters are listed below.

Ina Swift

Lilian Swift

Evelyn Swift

Stanley John Swift (engine driver)

Thomas Henry Swift (engine driver)

My Grandparents were Thomas William (engine driver) & Gertrude Annie Swift.

Thomas Henry Swift (My late uncle) lived in Mount Road until it was eventualy demolished, his children were Pauline & Raymond.

Gertrude Annie Swift's father was also an engine driver as were many who lived in Parkwood Springs.

My late Father (Cecil Swift) was born in Vale road.

His brothers and sisters are listed below.

Ina Swift

Lilian Swift

Evelyn Swift

Stanley John Swift (engine driver)

Thomas Henry Swift (engine driver)

My Grandparents were Thomas William (engine driver) & Gertrude Annie Swift.

Thomas Henry Swift (My late uncle) lived in Mount Road until it was eventualy demolished, his children were Pauline & Raymond.

Gertrude Annie Swift's father was also an engine driver as were many who lived in Parkwood Springs.

1911 -

38 Pickering Road

Thomas Swift engine driver

1911 -

38 Pickering Road

Thomas Swift engine driver

Excellent, here is a shot of an LNER indelible ink pencil that has never been sharpened. (offers anyone:D)

w9i7nr.jpg

bread and born there does any body remeber my granda tiny shaw and is brother jim

Hi Qwerty,

My dads name was Tom Fellows , he was the son of the late Clara Shaw and John Fellows. I think you and my dad must have been cousins , my mum and dad lived on Pickering Road next door to Harry and Brenda Darwin, I went to Hillfoot School.

I lived near the bottom of Pickering Road in a back to back house behind no.33. My auntie and cousin used to live at the top at 100. We had an outside toilet and a big yard to play in. Our house had only 3 rooms - a living kitchen and two bedrooms.

I used to go to Parkwood Springs Methodist Church and my cousin was the last person to get married there before it was closed.

I remember the Whit Walks - does anyone else remember these? - where we used to walk from the church to sing outside the Royal Infirmary and then to the Royal Hospital on West Street before finally ending up in Weston Park for the "Whit Sing".

Every May there used to be a concert where there was a little play and that year's May Queen was crowned.

I have very many happy memories of my time living on the Springs - I lived there from 1961 to 1966 although I didn't go to the local school. I still went to Meynell Road and then onto Chaucer.