Parkwood springs

Great pictures retep,can't make out the pub though i can see the Sunblest Club.Where was that?

The picturesI have are in a book-A Neepsend Camera by J.R.Wrigley.

The Sunblest Club used to be the Parkwood Hotel the Reindeer used to be next door going uphill from the railway bridge, Waughs Mineral Waters used to be at the back of the Reindeer.

My husband lived at P Springs in 60's and early 70's. Lived on both Douglas and Vale but don't know which way round. He was one of the Wild family.....related to the Barratts and the Binghams.

I have spent most of my life on Parkwood springs from meeting my dad from work at Hallamshire steel works to Learning to ride my motorbike as a young boy and working at the Sheffield ski slop and see it every day out of my room window and have seen it changed over the years and not for the better and have heard stories from my father who used to live on Parkwood springs with is brother and sisters and former friends from Keith Hackett the football referee and is brothers to is other relations the salmon’s and every time I used to go up there with him he would tell me who lived at which house and why it was called Parkwood spring.

i lived on wallace road in the late 60s my father worked on the railway , i loved being there my best childhood memories are from living there and i have been up there as an adult and find it sad that its just a rubbish dumping ground

10 Vale Road is my grandads old address (Kenneth Aldred) where my mum where brought up till they moved to Albert terrace road.

She remembers it well and tells me a story where she use to have to fetch coal on an old pram from over the railway lines at the bottom of parkwood springs and she was only about 10 year old (she is 68 nearly now). She was complaining "the wheel of the pram always use to fall off over the lines".

10 Vale Road is my grandads old address (Kenneth Aldred) where my mum where brought up till they moved to Albert terrace road.

She remembers it well and tells me a story where she use to have to fetch coal on an old pram from over the railway lines at the bottom of parkwood springs and she was only about 10 year old (she is 68 nearly now). She was complaining "the wheel of the pram always use to fall off over the lines".

Close neighbours 1948,VALE ROAD

2 THOMPSON WALTER, GREENGROCER*

8 SAYLES CYRIL, VARNISH MAKER*

10 ALDRED KENNETH, PAINTER & DECORATOR*

12 BARNETT BERNARD*

16 FISHER STANLEY,(J) SILVERSMITH*

18 MADDEN MRS FLORENCE*

22 HALE WILLIE, ENGINE DRIVER*

24 BRIDGSTOCK WILLIAM ARTHUR, SILVER FINISHER*

30 LOOSEMORE MRS ALICE*

32 MARRISON JAMES WHITTAKER,CLERK*

34 THOMPSON GEORGE*

36 MARRISON JAMES WHITTAKER JNR,STEEL WORKER*

Thanks for the info 'retep' i will give my mum a ring; as she lives in Lincolnshire now; and remind her of her old neighbours when she was a kid she'll like that.

It would be nice to just blame the waste and neglect of parkwood springs on one company or person but the fact is that the council are very good at passing the buck from what I have heard about parkwood springs from my father Alan Hinchliffe the resident that lived there where good people and I would have been proud to call them my neighbours not like some of the people of today.

Mr Hinchliff

are you Alan who was in the Triumph owners club in the sixties and a friend of Gary Slingsby who worked at the Hallamshire rolling mills.I remember the springs very well,we used to have raiding parties when we were kids from Shirecliffe.I once bought a motor bike of one of the Higgins.A lot of Springers live in the Bowness Rd area of Walkley.

That’s my dad he doesn’t know how to use the internet he is still in the fifties and sixties and computer are a bad thing in is mind and all the good things that’s Sheffield stands for like steel, beer and knife and forks are all gone and Sheffield is a dead city on that point I have to agree with him, but he only move a stones throw away from Parkwood spring and is good memories that he told us over and over again he now lives on the opposite hill halfway up Oxford street so he can see Parkwood springs.

I worked there in the early seventies, it always reminded me of a song lyrics: "and the only way out is the only way in..". In those days it was a taxi drivers mecca as there was only one single deck bus per day (or was it per week?). Never saw so many taxis in one small area anywhere. Somebody there had a massive American car that looked quite out of place there.