Parkwood springs

my name is carol and i'm writing a book about the forgotten village (parkwood springs) does anyone have any stories or information on parkwood, the older the stories the better, but all stories are of value. any photos of the area, pubs buisnesses, events, families, infact just anything at all. after all it was the characters that made the area. i would love to hear from anyone with any information

Katrina

James Firth V.C lived in Parkwood Springs on Wallace Rd, he worked in a nearby steelworks. He is buried in Burngreave Cemetery.

Try Chris Hobbs site for more info it is excellent.

Siren

http://www.chrishobbs.com/index.htm

Don't remember the houses but I do remember the Council landscaping the site in 1977.

It was done by people on what was then called The Job Creation Scheme. Basically they removed the rubble and made the the soil flat, seeded and planted trees.

Some mates of mine worked on it. I think it took a couple of years to complete.

In some places the roads are still there and of course the Ski Village is accessed by one of the old roads.

Hiya

If your surname is or use to be Walker then my mum & dad use to take me down to your mum & dads house which if I remember rightly was on Vale Rd.We lived further up at number 78.

interesting, my grandparents lived on vale road for apprx 6 years annie and jack (john) redfearn after compulsory purchase they moved to watery street (yet another strret slowly slipping away under the developers hands)

not sure but i seem to remember a public house (when they used to be pubs serving proper ale) run by a guy named george taylor for a short while sited at the bottom of vale road.

i can remmber the kids playground at the top and the gennel running to the old gas works,took a walk with my dog the other week its still there but sadly unpassable due to flytippers and over grown trees/bushes.

i can remember in the mid sixties walking down wood street towards the old penistone road and seeing what looked like large beams of light, very much like the type from the second world war search lights, never did find out what they were up to.

heard on the grapevine that furter development will be taking place over the next 5 years or so, riverside walks,hotels,cinema complex,that sort of thing.

more info to follow:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by chocoholic

Hiya

If your surname is or use to be Walker then my mum & dad use to take me down to your mum & dads house which if I remember rightly was on Vale Rd.We lived further up at number 78.

yes chocoholic my maiden name is walker. i had two brothers, alan and barrie. my mums name was annie and my dads name was cyril. we lived on mount road up until my dad died in 1964. we then moved to 58 vale road. what was your family called. was it proctors or hughs. i'm trying to think where number 78 was on vale road. put me out of my misery will ya?

Well before he does, let me tell you that in the mid 60s I used to go to the play ground on the top and there where still houses around it at that time.

The genel is still there along with the iron handrail and cobbles.

I remember Gypsys setting up there in the late 60s rearing pigs.

Nice to know there going to redevolop it.

The Sunblest house is still there but I think its derelict now.

Hiya

I can still remember that my walk to school seemed to take a lifetime.I used to go down that cobbled gennel(which was a nightmare in winter).Then we had these massive wide stone steps to go down which curved round at the bottom.Accross a wooden railway bridge which used to shudder when a train passed under,down a load of wooden steps,then some stone steps & finally up & down a couple of roads & into Hillfoot School.It had a massive playgrond with a climbing frame in the top left hand corner!I can still smell the dinners cooking now!

Happy Days!!

my dad used to live in parkwood springs when he was young. Does any one know him? His name is Reginald Taylor and he has got 2 brothers called Graham and Brian and he has got 3 sisters called Jenny, Anita and Janet. He was quite a bad lad in his prime but he has loads of exciting stories to tell.

anyone know the name of the church which used to be up there apparantly i was christened in there,where did all the records go :confused::help:

Parkwood- United Methodist Church, Wallace Road

most people were christened at St Michael & all Angels or Holy Trinity Wicker, most likely place for the records wil be Sheffield Archives

Originally posted by taylor113

my dad used to live in parkwood springs when he was young. Does any one know him? His name is Reginald Taylor and he has got 2 brothers called Graham and Brian and he has got 3 sisters called Jenny, Anita and Janet. He was quite a bad lad in his prime but he has loads of exciting stories to tell.

of course i know your dad. when you see him tell him carol walkers asked about him. i knew all the family. good or bab. he never hurt no one. he knew my brothers very well as well. alan and barrie walker. maybe you did.

my regards to everyone

from carol