Joseph Rodgers Sheffield

Looking through some old stuff I have yesterday I came across an old steel hand stamp I was given many years ago. It's the type of stamp you hold between fingers and thumb and hit with a hammer and it's just over 3ins long.

It says Joseph Rodgers Sheffield, and it was made by T.E. Farley, 144 Eldon St.

Any one have any imformation about these two people ?

Joseph Rogers was a famous Sheffield knife and cutlery maker on Norfolk Street, I believe on the lower part of the street which is now obliterated by Arundel Gate.

There's a history of the company on the website of the US company who now have the rights to use the name.

http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/history/the-history-of-joseph-rodgers.html

My mother worked for Joseph Rodgers and George Wolstenholme on Guernsey Street, Heeley for man years and was transferred to Richards at the bottom of the Moor when they closed.

Weren't Rodgers and Wolstenholme the creators of the year knife, the worlds largest pen knife ?

Eggintongroup.co.uk tells you the history of Joseph Rogers.

This little Bowie knife was made by J Rodgers back in Georges reign :thumbsup:

As was this clip point folder...

Biggsy :)

That was a classic. Another was the Boy Scout jacknife. Anybody got one with a maker's stamp?

And who could forget the curved blade linoleum knife that was used for everything around the house, even cutting shoe leather.

...an old steel hand stamp ... and it was made by T.E. Farley, 144 Eldon St...
T.E. Farley was evidently a trademark stamp maker, and the local directory for 1925 shows "Thomas Edward Farley, steel stamp cutter", though at that time he was at 46 Trickett Road, Hillsborough. A little research in census returns shows a Thomas Edward Farley who was born in Sheffield in 1887, the son of a silverware worker. Some time after 1901 the family moved to Manchester, and Thomas is described in the 1911 census there as a "mark maker". I would guess that he returned to Sheffield and set up a workshop at 144 Eldon Street, perhaps later moving to Trickett Road; he died in Sheffield in 1929, aged 42. If this is correct, then the handstamp must have been made some time between 1911 and 1924 (when the 1925 directory was compiled) or perhaps shortly after 1924 if Thomas's occupancy of 144 Eldon Street was short-lived.

My mother worked for Joseph Rodgers and George Wolstenholme on Guernsey Street, Heeley for man years and was transferred to Richards at the bottom of the Moor when they closed.

Weren't Rodgers and Wolstenholme the creators of the year knife, the worlds largest pen knife ?

My mum worked there too, we lived on Guernsey Road at the time

T.E. Farley was evidently a trademark stamp maker, and the local directory for 1925 shows "Thomas Edward Farley, steel stamp cutter", though at that time he was at 46 Trickett Road, Hillsborough. A little research in census returns shows a Thomas Edward Farley who was born in Sheffield in 1887, the son of a silverware worker. Some time after 1901 the family moved to Manchester, and Thomas is described in the 1911 census there as a "mark maker". I would guess that he returned to Sheffield and set up a workshop at 144 Eldon Street, perhaps later moving to Trickett Road; he died in Sheffield in 1929, aged 42. If this is correct, then the handstamp must have been made some time between 1911 and 1924 (when the 1925 directory was compiled) or perhaps shortly after 1924 if Thomas's occupancy of 144 Eldon Street was short-lived.

Thanks hillsbro....:thumbsup:

That was a classic. Another was the Boy Scout jacknife. Anybody got one with a maker's stamp?

And who could forget the curved blade linoleum knife that was used for everything around the house, even cutting shoe leather.

Yep, Here..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Biggsy :)

Joseph Rodgers. Their slogan,..... the knife of kings, and the king of knives.

I too worked there.

Two of my sisters worked for Rodger's in the sixties at Pond Street.

I remember them occasionally bringing home loads of pen knives which hadn't got past quality control;they were good enough for us and our mates though!