Sheffield drivers fined £80000 for car removal

Well done solitaire on getting your money back from them.

Hope that loads of others are also successful, and thank you for offering them help in advance!

Planner, would have thought you could provide some insight into what went wrong regarding the planned streets for works? From reading the posts, it does seem that Solitaire was completely in the right. Is there any way SCC or Amey could help make sure this doesn't happen again? Or is there any way in which they could refund monies taken incorrectly?

Thanks!

Planner, would have thought you could provide some insight into what went wrong regarding the planned streets for works? From reading the posts, it does seem that Solitaire was completely in the right. Is there any way SCC or Amey could help make sure this doesn't happen again? Or is there any way in which they could refund monies taken incorrectly?

Thanks!

I have no idea what "went wrong" or indeed if anything did go wrong. I don't know the details of the actual case.

Amey are carrying out a £2 billion programme of works on pretty much every street in the city, which involves huge numbers of teams working on the different tasks being undertaken. Because of the nature of highway engineering works it is pretty much inevitable that there will be changes to advertised schedules of works.

For some operations, like resurfacing, the street needs to be cleared of vehicles. This is done via a temporary traffic regulation order, which lasts 18 months and is enacted as needed by erection of signs on street. Any vehicles left on street are in contravention of the order and can be removed. The council feel it is best to remove the vehicles to a safe compound where the owner can collect at a time of their choosing. Some authorities just move them to the nearest available on-street parking space, but personally I'd want my vehicle kept in a safe place.

Measures are in place to identify vehicles which were on the street when the signs went up, so appeals against the penalties can be assessed and people who were away on hols etc can get a refund.

No system of vehicle removal is going to be popular. There are lots of steps in the process where there can be human error, but I can't see how there can be a foolproof system. There are means by which drivers can appeal any penalty they feel is incorrect, which culminate in an appeal to a completely independant adjudicator. The people doing all aspects of this have plenty of experience, as the Amey contract has been running for about four years now. Quite a number of vehicles have been removed over the years and We haven't seen large numbers of people on here or in the press complaining of major injustice, so that gives some assurance that the system in place works adequately in the vast majority of cases.

---------- Post added 26-09-2016 at 15:14 ----------

I'm fully aware that they're not SCC staff. However, if Amey's work isn't up to scratch, isn't it SCC's responsibility to manage the contract and ensure that they pull their socks up?

S

It is, and they do.

Edited by Planner1

I have no idea what "went wrong" or indeed if anything did go wrong. I don't know the details of the actual case.

Amey are carrying out a £2 billion programme of works on pretty much every street in the city, which involves huge numbers of teams working on the different tasks being undertaken. Because of the nature of highway engineering works it is pretty much inevitable that there will be changes to advertised schedules of works.

For some operations, like resurfacing, the street needs to be cleared of vehicles. This is done via a temporary traffic regulation order, which lasts 18 months and is enacted as needed by erection of signs on street. Any vehicles left on street are in contravention of the order and can be removed. The council feel it is best to remove the vehicles to a safe compound where the owner can collect at a time of their choosing. Some authorities just move them to the nearest available on-street parking space, but personally I'd want my vehicle kept in a safe place.

Measures are in place to identify vehicles which were on the street when the signs went up, so appeals against the penalties can be assessed and people who were away on hols etc can get a refund.

No system of vehicle removal is going to be popular. There are lots of steps in the process where there can be human error, but I can't see how there can be a foolproof system. There are means by which drivers can appeal any penalty they feel is incorrect, which culminate in an appeal to a completely independant adjudicator. The people doing all aspects of this have plenty of experience, as the Amey contract has been running for about four years now. Quite a number of vehicles have been removed over the years and We haven't seen large numbers of people on here or in the press complaining of major injustice, so that gives some assurance that the system in place works adequately in the vast majority of cases.

It is, and they do.

Hmmm, you clearly seem to be an SCC insider, Planner1. My own 'man on the inside' suggests that: 'It isn't, and they don't'.

So ... who's right?

Hmmm, you clearly seem to be an SCC insider, Planner1. My own 'man on the inside' suggests that: 'It isn't, and they don't'.

So ... who's right?

I am of course.

They have a team who manage the contract. I know the people who run it.

I am of course.

They have a team who manage the contract. I know the people who run it.

So let me get this right: the people who say that SCC is managing the contract well are .... the contract management team? Hmmm, well (in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies), they would, wouldn't they?

S x

So let me get this right: the people who say that SCC is managing the contract well are .... the contract management team? Hmmm, well (in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies), they would, wouldn't they?

S x

Whether something is done well or not is rather subjective. It's also not the query you raised. You queried whether the contract was being managed. It clearly is.

Whether something is done well or not is rather subjective. It's also not the query you raised. You queried whether the contract was being managed. It clearly is.

Well, technically you are correct; that I must concede. However, in stating 'It isn't and they don't', what I actually meant by the 'they don't' element was that SCC do not manage the contract WELL; to wit, they are making a complete pig's ear of it—far too 'cosy' a relationship with the contractor so I'm led to believe.

Just offering an alternative view point, Planner1. You're convinced that you're right. I have my doubts :o

Bye for now—off down the footie. I'm sure that we'll cross swords again ....

S

It is, and they do.

Thank you!!

Can someone tell me the next step if you loose your first appeal , like an email name or address i can write to. many thanks .

Can someone tell me the next step if you loose your first appeal , like an email name or address i can write to. many thanks .

It tells you what to do on the documentation you receive notifying you your challenge hasn't been upheld.

How come you can work out how to post on here, but you can't simply google "SCC appeal parking fine" ?

Try: https://parkingin.sheffield.gov.uk/live-pgc-user/

Thankyou planner the letter we had was from a person who works for the council ,about how we were dealt with over the phone and also our parking fine ,thats why i asked for a bit more information.

It tells you what to do on the documentation you receive notifying you your challenge hasn't been upheld.

How come you can work out how to post on here, but you can't simply google "SCC appeal parking fine" ?

Try: https://parkingin.sheffield.gov.uk/live-pgc-user/

No need to be quite so acidic, Planner1.

Good luck blade08. The appeal process is quite straightforward. Do let me know if there's anything that I can help with though.

S