Sheffield drivers fined £80000 for car removal

All well and good but Amey are incompetent and don't work to the published schedule—see my previous rant. I seriously doubt whether that many of their workers can actually read anyway :rant:

The schedule gives you an idea of when the works are going to happen and the signs that are up a month before tell you exactly when they will commence their work. If you have your car towed after this, you really have no excuse.

The schedule gives you an idea of when the works are going to happen and the signs that are up a month before tell you exactly when they will commence their work. If you have your car towed after this, you really have no excuse.

Let me try and make it simple for you. The road, where I parked my car, and from where it was towed, WAS NOT INCLUDED ON THE SCHEDULE! I have EVERY EXCUSE!!

Do you work for Amey? You seem to have all the requisite skills :mad:

S xx

Edited by Solitaire

Let me try and make it simple for you. The road, where I parked my car, and from where it was towed, WAS NOT INCLUDED ON THE SCHEDULE! I have EVERY EXCUSE!!

Do you work for Amey? You seem to have all the requisite skills :mad:

S xx

Oh my word such anger. You should try to take a walk in a park more often.

Let me make it clear for you, the signs are up for a month prior. If your car was towed you have no recourse to feel hard done by. Plus this map shows every road is scheduled: https://maps.sheffield.gov.uk/LocalViewExt/Sites/MasterProgramme/

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park:

[...]

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

ref: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

further info: http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/nearest-you-can-park-to-a-junction.html

I thought that was the case, but it only says 'DO NOT', not 'YOU MUST NOT', does this mean it is advisory only?

Let me make it clear for you, the signs are up for a month prior. If your car was towed you have no recourse to feel hard done by. Plus this map shows every road is scheduled: https://maps.sheffield.gov.uk/LocalViewExt/Sites/MasterProgramme/

Yes, I'm pretty cross that my car was removed from a street that had no valid parking restrictions. It's a pretty normal human reaction I would have thought.

I don't think that walking in the park would help since I'm not overly keen on either (a) walking for no good reason or (b) parks. Any other suggestions?

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 12:26 ----------

That map may show the crack of your friggin a**e for all I know. I haven't seen it. The schedule that was delivered to my house did NOT include the road on which I parked my car.

The signs are NOT up a month prior. I parked on 18 June 2016: no signs. My car was towed on 5 July 2016. How does that equate to a month?

Let's see who wins this argument with the Council. I can tell you straight away that it will NOT be them!!

I'll update you; sure you're thrilled to hear that :P

Yes, I'm pretty cross that my car was removed from a street that had no valid parking restrictions. It's a pretty normal human reaction I would have thought.

I don't think that walking in the park would help since I'm not overly keen on either (a) walking for no good reason or (b) parks. Any other suggestions?

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 12:26 ----------

That map may show the crack of your friggin a**e for all I know. I haven't seen it. The schedule that was delivered to my house did NOT include the road on which I parked my car.

The signs are NOT up a month prior. I parked on 18 June 2016: no signs. My car was towed on 5 July 2016. How does that equate to a month?

Let's see who wins this argument with the Council. I can tell you straight away that it will NOT be them!!

I'll update you; sure you're thrilled to hear that :P

I will be interested to hear how you've got on and I'm not being sarcastic

Just playing devils advocate here - did any signs go up between June 18th (when you first parked your car on that road) and the 5th July (when it was towed)?

Or did you park your car on a different street for 2.5 weeks and not go back to it once in that time?

Kerching

Another money making scam . You can be certain the council are pocketing some cash from this scam .

No it isn't. The Council dont make ANY money out of towing away.

The tow away contractor's costs are higher than the towing fee the council are legally allowed to charge. The tow away fee and the penalty charge notice combined only just cover the contractors costs, so the council are losing money on every tow, because they have to send two civil enforcement officers out to issue the penalty and authorise the tow and they don't get anything back, the tow away contractor gets it all.

Just playing devils advocate here - did any signs go up between June 18th (when you first parked your car on that road) and the 5th July (when it was towed)?

Or did you park your car on a different street for 2.5 weeks and not go back to it once in that time?

Hi Hambeast,

Yes is the answer to both. questions

There were no signs on the street where I parked at the time of me parking. However, when I went to retrieve the car, the signs were present. However, as I didn't return to my car at all during the intervening two and a half weeks—for the simple reason that I had no need to—I didn't see the signs. If I had, I would have moved the car. I'm a simple soul and tend to do what's asked of me.

S

ETA: Just to reiterate that the schedule I received did not show that the street on which I parked was part of the programme. I can only base my actions on the information I have.

No it isn't. The Council dont make ANY money out of towing away.

The tow away contractor's costs are higher than the towing fee the council are legally allowed to charge. The tow away fee and the penalty charge notice combined only just cover the contractors costs, so the council are losing money on every tow, because they have to send two civil enforcement officers out to issue the penalty and authorise the tow and they don't get anything back, the tow away contractor gets it all.

How does it cost £105 to tow one car ???

Fair enough. I wouldnt leave my car on a street that wasnt my own street for that length of time without using it.

Dunno if telling SCC in an appeal that you didnt go back to it at all for 2.5 weeks would be a help or a hinderance, mind. They could easily argue over 2 weeks notice is more than enough time (and the signs could have gone up the same day you left your car there).

This is kind of related.

Isn't it illegal to park very close to a junction? I live in a cul de sac, and recently someone has started parking just after the exit junction of the road, on the left, and their vehicle totally obstructs the view of the road if you are looking to the left (the road drops down too, so you can't see cars coming over the roofs of other parked vehicles). So it is dangerous to come out of the give way when turning either left or right. If I pull out of that junction blind and hit someone, it will be deemed to be my fault, but there isn't much else you can do apart from creep out slowly.

They're not there at he moment, but if they return I might leave them a polite note. Would the police or council actually do anything about it though if I was to report it?

Council can't do anythign about it unless they are contravening a waiting restriction like a yellow line. if this is the case call parkign services on 1004 2736255 and report it.

If there are no restrictions in place, the Police would need to carry out enforcement action, which might be for obstruction, but I thiink you would struggle to get them to do anything. They'd probably say it was down to the council to put in waiting restrictions if they thought there was a problem. Call 101 and see what they say.

Leaving "polite" notices on people's car can sometimes lead to them reacting very badly, so I would think twice before doing this.