Sheffield drivers fined £80000 for car removal

Kerching

Another money making scam . You can be certain the council are pocketing some cash from this scam .

How can it be a scam? If it was a scam, they wouldn't put notices up. If people choose to ignore them, it's their fault

[quote=Cyclone;11440549

. . . . they don't sneak out and tow cars away without having signposted the entire area do they.

On our road the signs went up on the same day as the no marking came in so anyone who had left there car at home and gone to work would be in trouble

Guest makapaka

These sort of stories are just pointlessly inflammatory. They always include a massive financial sum to stir it up further.

The usual ones are "single speed camera fines drivers £150,000" etc. The fact is if you obey the rules you don't get fined and therefore there's no issue.

How can it be a scam? If it was a scam, they wouldn't put notices up. If people choose to ignore them, it's their fault

My lovely Grandma always used to say that a fool and their money are easily parted.

For goodness sake, there really can't be a single motorist who lives in Sheffield who doesn't know that all the roads are to be resurfaced and have all the opportunity to look on the internet for guidance of when this may happen in their area.

Edited by Daven

These would be the drivers that ignore the very clear signs on lampposts? They don't sneak out and tow cars away without having signposted the entire area do they.

On Rock Street and about four surrounding streets Amey put up signs saying that work would take place over the next four days and that cars parked would be towed. No work took place and the signs were amended with another four dates. This happened, I am not joking, about six times, each time no work took place until finally they spent three days to do the pavements. How can it be reasonable to prevent people from parking on their and adjoining streets for over a month to allow for three days work? And do the signs lose any legal force after they have been shown to be misleading so many times?

These sort of stories are just pointlessly inflammatory. They always include a massive financial sum to stir it up further.

The usual ones are "single speed camera fines drivers £150,000" etc. The fact is if you obey the rules you don't get fined and therefore there's no issue.

Exactly so. Be observant for the signs and if you ARE going away and planning to leave your car on the road leave a spare set of keys with a neighbour or trusted friend.

It really isn't that difficult to simply move your vehicle each morning is it ?

Edited by Daven

I think I've read of one woman going away on holiday and she parked her car on her road as there was no notices of works been started ,they started work on her road while she was away so she got towed ,should people like her have been fined?

The notices are there for weeks in advance. Plus the schedule of works is also published by the council so if she was going away for such a long time, she could have checked. However I suspect she could appeal this decision. That doesn't mean all the others should not be fined.

Additionally, I think you will find that before towing there is an attempt to contact the owner so they can remove their car themselves, This certainly happened round here, however one person told the the guy knocking on his door to f*** o** as there was no way he was moving his car until he had finished his breakfast and then complained when it was towed and he had to pay the 'fine'.

Not too sure who the actual 'fine' is paid to but it may be the 'towing' company rather than either Amey or the council.

As an aside, has anyone had to be towed off the motorway, without arranging for a friend or breakdown service (AA, Greenflag, RAC etc) to do it ? It used to be £150 (may well be more now) to be towed off the motorway to a 'place of safety' and had to be paid at the time by cash or credit card. If it could not be paid then the towing company would take the car to their compound where it would be kept, accruing something like £25+ a day until paid. Oh and you have upto 2 hours (and may be less depending upon circumstances) to get your car moved off the motorway before it is 'moved' for you.

On Rock Street and about four surrounding streets Amey put up signs saying that work would take place over the next four days and that cars parked would be towed. No work took place and the signs were amended with another four dates. This happened, I am not joking, about six times, each time no work took place until finally they spent three days to do the pavements. How can it be reasonable to prevent people from parking on their and adjoining streets for over a month to allow for three days work? And do the signs lose any legal force after they have been shown to be misleading so many times?

Longer than 6 weeks this 're-dating' went on for on our road. Plus, they worked on trees where they'd not even put any signs up.

This is kind of related.

Isn't it illegal to park very close to a junction? I live in a cul de sac, and recently someone has started parking just after the exit junction of the road, on the left, and their vehicle totally obstructs the view of the road if you are looking to the left (the road drops down too, so you can't see cars coming over the roofs of other parked vehicles). So it is dangerous to come out of the give way when turning either left or right. If I pull out of that junction blind and hit someone, it will be deemed to be my fault, but there isn't much else you can do apart from creep out slowly.

They're not there at he moment, but if they return I might leave them a polite note. Would the police or council actually do anything about it though if I was to report it?

This is kind of related.

Isn't it illegal to park very close to a junction? I live in a cul de sac, and recently someone has started parking just after the exit junction of the road, on the left, and their vehicle totally obstructs the view of the road if you are looking to the left (the road drops down too, so you can't see cars coming over the roofs of other parked vehicles). So it is dangerous to come out of the give way when turning either left or right. If I pull out of that junction blind and hit someone, it will be deemed to be my fault, but there isn't much else you can do apart from creep out slowly.

They're not there at he moment, but if they return I might leave them a polite note. Would the police or council actually do anything about it though if I was to report it?

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park:

[...]

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

ref: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

further info: http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/nearest-you-can-park-to-a-junction.html

Is it now???

Amey are a bunch of complete tosspots. I received a schedule of works to the roads in my area, commencing 20 June 2016. I moved my car onto a nearby road on 18 June 2016—in good time. On 7 July 2016—the day after the works to my road were complete—I went to retrieve it, only to find that they'd decided to work on the road where I parked after all (outside of the agreed schedule)—and they'd removed my car.

Yes, they had placed notices on the road where I'd parked but they were not there when I left my car there. Excellent though my eyesight is, I can't see the notices from my street.

So, am I obliged to check on my car every day, just in the event that the incompetent contractors decide to commence unscheduled work? It's not a child. I'm not obliged to visit it daily!

So, exactly what did I do wrong in all this?

I WILL be recovering the both the recovery and parking fees. Sheffield City Council should be thankful that I'm not pursing a case for the illegal removal of the car which, by the way, I will do if they don't refund me promptly.

Thanks for listening. Rant over.

S x

Edited to add: I was not advised that the car has been removed and so had to report it stolen to find out where it was! How difficult would it have been to run a vehicle check and dropped a note through my door, asking that I move it? I would quite happily have done so.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 09:30 ----------

The notices are there for weeks in advance. Plus the schedule of works is also published by the council so if she was going away for such a long time, she could have checked. However I suspect she could appeal this decision. That doesn't mean all the others should not be fined.

All well and good but Amey are incompetent and don't work to the published schedule—see my previous rant. I seriously doubt whether that many of their workers can actually read anyway :rant:

Edited by Solitaire
Added more text