Tree hedge cutting warning

Just had a chap from a company called popular landscaping knock on my door proffering a flyer for landscaping services asking if there was any trees wanting trimming or cutting down.

As he stood on my doorstep he said he could trim the hedge that abuts the pavement ( about 10metres) as he was doing jobs for a neighbour

I normally do it myself with a hedge trimmer in about 20 mins max

He quoted £100 and after my laughter at how he could justify all that for a job that couldn't take longer than 20 mins to do ...he left

This was trimming stragglers not cutting back just a trim of 10meters of hedge

Leaving behind his expensively produced and printed leaflet.

On looking at leaflet it was from a company based in Barnsley...touting for work in south Sheffield

In an area that's populated by an ageing clientel beware of paying over the top for garden services

We need to get all that dosh recirculated from the old peoples bank accounts someway :)

theres a big gypsy lot in greenhill village,doing this type and building and tarmac companys,beware of conmen

It is easy to sell old people expensive services or useless things.

My mom has been had again few months ago, she is being a bit more careful now.

It is easy to sell old people expensive services or useless things.

My mom has been had again few months ago, she is being a bit more careful now.

True, but it's a shame old people now have to rely on services like these for little jobs which in the past would have been done by neighbours.

Just had a chap from a company called popular landscaping knock on my door proffering a flyer for landscaping services asking if there was any trees wanting trimming or cutting down.

As he stood on my doorstep he said he could trim the hedge that abuts the pavement ( about 10metres) as he was doing jobs for a neighbour

I normally do it myself with a hedge trimmer in about 20 mins max

He quoted £100 and after my laughter at how he could justify all that for a job that couldn't take longer than 20 mins to do ...he left

This was trimming stragglers not cutting back just a trim of 10meters of hedge

Leaving behind his expensively produced and printed leaflet.

On looking at leaflet it was from a company based in Barnsley...touting for work in south Sheffield

In an area that's populated by an ageing clientel beware of paying over the top for garden services

Good Afternoon,

Sheffield City Council Trading Standards investigate incidents of this type and would appreciate speaking to you further.

Could you contact us at trading.standards@sheffield.gov.uk or on 0114 2736290.

Thank you.

Please be aware that trees and hedges can only be legally trimmed at certain times of the year. I know this sounds really odd, but it is related to nesting patterns apparently.

My chap charges a tenner to trim bushes and cut the front lawn. They are definatley taking the micheal.

Please be aware that trees and hedges can only be legally trimmed at certain times of the year. I know this sounds really odd, but it is related to nesting patterns apparently.

It's sounds odd because it is not strictly correct.

It is illegal to disturb active nests.

If there are no active nests, you can cut to your heart's content.

Edited by cgksheff