New puppy crate training help

We picked up our 8 week old whippet pup on Saturday morning. He has settled in to Daily life with my other dog and family far better than we had thought he would do, he's great! Well apart from at night........

Saturday night we got him in the crate when we went to bed and as expected he cried for about an hour then we didn't hear a thing until 4am, not bad that on the first night.

Now last night is a different matter, from the moment I left him and went to bed he cried, barked and howled allllllllll night. We got up once to let him out and he went straight out to wee and poo. Back in the crate and it all started agin. He's persistent I'll give him that.

Now I've had dogs before and expect it for a while but last night was absolutely non stop. Is there any help or suggestions that anyone can give please

I've had to leave the tv on for my pups as they too screamed all night. It did the trick last night for the first time so I'm hoping that continues. Good luck

Firstly can we see pictures as whippet puppies are the best thing in the world!

Could you try having the crate near you then gradually move it away (assuming you don't want him sleeping with you long term)?

People also sometimes recommend leaving the TV or radio on, leaving a ticking clock nearby and having something like a well worn tshirt that smells of you in with the puppy, or a blanket that smells like his mum if you can get one from the breeder?

How about a big smelly tshirt over the crate to make it more like a den for him?

You could also try giving him some treats or chew toys in the crate during the day time, so he has pleasant associations with it (never use it for punishment or 'time outs').

You might get the best advice on a sighthound forum such as Lurcher Link