DVLA Visual Field Tests

Hi

I have to have a DVLA Binocular Visual Field Test once a year for the last 3 years.

Unfortunately this year i have failed the test.

Does anyone know where i can do the re-test apart from specsavers. I have tried my local boots but the dont do it.

DVLA have allowed me to have a re-test but this time i have to pay for the tests as its a private one.

I have retinitis pigmentosa. i was born with this condition however only found out 3-4 years ago. On the advice of the consultants was old to inform the DVLA in case god forbid i was involved in an accident.

I have been eating a lot of vitamin a foods and doing eye excersises on my fone app and also general body excercises and running

Does anyone have any other tips and advices on how to pass these visual field tests. Its pretty tricky looking at a yellowy/orangey dot in the middle with a white background and then press button when you see flashing white lights around the fixation dot. (120 flashing whites altogether)

I have been driving for nearly 10 years without any problem and its frustrating my licence has been stopped.

I am determined to get my licence back. I have had no problems on the road & no accidents.

Any help/advice & where to get re-tests done would be greatly appreciated.

Why do you say "apart from Specsavers"?

Most good opticians should have a test unit.

Any opticians that offers eye exams should be able to do a visual field screening. Is your local Boots one that just dispenses and doesn't do eye exams? The Boots on the High Street has a visual field screening machine.

Sorry if you're eyesight is that bad you should not be on the road the dvla rules are in place for a reason it's a wonder you can get insurance with the condition you have got nor much help sorry but you should not be allowed on the foad

It's my understanding that retinitis pigmentosa is degenerative and,as such, will deteriorate over time. It's sad to say but your condition has possibly deteriorated to a degree that your sight is not good enough for you to drive safely.

By all means take another eye test but it could be that you may have to come to terms with the fact that your sight is no longer good enough for you to drive.

Regards and good luck

Edited by Daven

I feel sorry for you i have just had a eye test at the hallamshire after having a small stroke my vision is perfect I could read next to the bottom line without trouble and field was good also, but I have stopped driving of my own free will being 75 and the way things are today on the roads, l find it hard when I have a car sat on the drive when I want to go somewhere but after going 54years without a bump it will stay on the drive.

Sorry if you're eyesight is that bad you should not be on the road the dvla rules are in place for a reason it's a wonder you can get insurance with the condition you have got nor much help sorry but you should not be allowed on the foad[/

Well looking at the last word you wrote in your comment which I assume should be road and not foad, if you did'nt spot the error your eyesight must be poor as well. So lets hope you do not drive also.:):). As for the field test unless you have actually taken the test I think you might be wise not to state such a comment that he should not be on the road. The DVLA are a law unto themselves, they set the rules, but even if you pass this test according to the guidelines they will still revoke your license (been there and done it myself) I took 3 tests all passed within the guidelines but still revoked my license, they ended up sending me to the Rotherham Hospital to have a test done there, I asked for a copy, saw it and to me it looked worse than the first 3 I took. But I ended up with my licence back for another 3 years, in total it took 7 months to get back on the road, last time it came up for renewal I decided not to bother renewing, to much grief.

You can't defend bad eyesight the op eyesight is not going to get better if anything it's going to get worse so I stand by my previous post time he hung up his driving gloves and give up don't mean to be harsh but life is what it is as for spelling predive text as for my driving I've been driving well over 30 yrs for your information

I have a lazy eye, and I have been told that its a minor thing and does not affect my driving.

A friend at work has just had a cataract operation go wrong, not sure what the outcome will be. Can a person drive with sight in only one eye?

Have a look on the above some information for you with drivers with same condition as you best of luck

Why do you say "apart from Specsavers"?

Most good opticians should have a test unit.

-------------------------------------------

I was hoping another optician may do this particular test.

The test that i require is binocular ESTERMAN VISUAL FIELD Group 1 (for a normal car license), SINGLE INTENSITY.

Boots dont do the above mentioned eye test. As far as im aware only specsavers do it.

I dont mind doing it again at specsavers but their service has not been great. The person who takes me to do the test doesnt have a clue what they are doing and keep asking for assistance and this makes me feel very uncomfortable and uneasy about the test. Also they treat this as just a normal eye test disregarding how important this test is to me. They do not make me feel reassured and comfortable and just was to rush things along.

If only there was someone who knows how this test is done and what to do like last year the person who took me to visual field test room suggested regular blinking to help avoid your eyes becoming tired.

This was very helpful advice and i was successful in the test and my licence was renewed for 1 year. My Licence has been renewed once a year for the last 3 years' It is only this year i failed the test.

The test usually takes 5-10 minutes depending on how responsive you are.

I truly believe my eysesight is more or less same as the last year.

The first part of the test is the snellen chart which is pretty straightforward.

The second part is the more tricky part which is the visual field test i mentioned above.

I have driven on motorways and have driven to many parts of the uk such as birmingham and manchester etc I have driven is all weather conditions.

Regardless of some negative comments, im determined to get my licence back.

What i am going through, i would NOT want anyone to go through it. It's horrible and frustrating.

I have a lazy eye, and I have been told that its a minor thing and does not affect my driving.

A friend at work has just had a cataract operation go wrong, not sure what the outcome will be. Can a person drive with sight in only one eye?

I think you can. Katie Piper (who lost sight in one eye following the acid attack) still drives, although it may be not be total sight loss, I know she had stem cell treatment on the affected eye.

My instructor on my CBT told us he is blind in one eye following an accident.

Edit - yes you can:

https://www.gov.uk/monocular-vision-and-driving

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 12:22 ----------

-------------------------------------------

I truly believe my eysesight is more or less same as the last year.

Regardless of some negative comments, im determined to get my licence back.

If you eyesight has deteriorated slowly, you may not have noticed the change.

I can understand your frustration, it is difficult losing your independence. I don't drive myself at the moment (for financial not medical reasons), but you have to think of yourself and others' safety when you are in control of a ton of metal.