"Healthy" vets in Sheffield?

Still sorting out all the stuff we need for a new rescue dog and vet choice is causing me some issues - I am very reluctant to go down the 'vaccination every year' route that most vets seem to advocate (and charge for)

Anyone point me towards a more "enlightened" vet practice please

It's your choice - a vet can't make you have your dog vaccinated or refuse treatment if you don't.

I haven't done my current dogs for 5 years, previous to this i went 25 years without vaccinating beyond the first course of treatments.

The only ones who can refuse you anything are kennels.

thanks willman - only talked to a couple so far (there seem so many!) Abbeymoor seem quite keen on pushing their club and discounted vaccinations, liked Beech but a bit too far for us to travel, Ark were more chilled (and front runner for us right now)

I've never discussed it with any of mine, when i wanted it doing i asked them to do it.

Did the whole course and never asked them again, even though Vets4Pets mail you constantly with due dates they don't bother you if you don't have them done.

It's up to you if you want to vaccinate your animals, not the vets.. Some will send reminders etc but it's just them doing their job..

I recommend Hallam Vets based on Holme Lane in Hillsborough. Fantastic vets.

Well my dog has had all his vaccinations but has been diagnosed with kennel cough today. If i had known it was possible to still catch it i wouldn`t have bothered :(

I second Hallam vets on Holme lane, hillsborough

Peak vets 110% for me

same here for me , we don't walk any un vaccinated dogs as some diseases, are very hard to cure , I prefer to have mine vaccinated as you would a child ( seen unvaccinated children die out in Africa ) so for me it simple , dogs , cats , rabbits get what the vets say they need for very good reasons .

From my experience I would say Ark is the exact opposite of what you are looking for, they pushed vaccinations on someone I know whose dog was already ill, the vaccinations even state on them to not vaccinate an ill dog. I know someone who titre tests at Crookes at hackenthorpe. I've only heard good things about Peaks but no experience of it myself. Please let us know how you get on as its good to know with all the damage that vaccinations can do to dogs which vets actually put some thought into it...

Apart from the first batch if jabs as puppies, never had mine done, except one rescue, as she was found wandering, and I needed to make sure. other than that.....no

Well my dog has had all his vaccinations but has been diagnosed with kennel cough today. If i had known it was possible to still catch it i wouldn`t have bothered :(

Kennel cough some in different strains and both bacterial and viral, there's no way to totally guard against it but the vaccination will offer some protection.

I personally do vaccinate every year as some of the diseases out there are horrendous and I'd rather be safe than sorry, plus we use a dog walker who of course asks that dogs are vaccinated.

It also helps other vulnerable dogs/puppies due to 'herd immunity'. We've seen a rise in measles etc in people due to idiotic tin foil hat brigade anti-vaxers.

It's your choice whatever vets you choose, but of course if you decide not to you'll probably be unable to insure your dog, use a dog walker, kennels or home boarding. You'd also need to check the adoption information from the rescue you use as it may be a requirement along with neutering etc.

Edited by vwkittie