Savic Residence crate?

Well we are still hunting for our next rescue dog but wanted to sort the gear we would get so everything is in place when we do bring him/her home, primarily a safe place for them to go while they settle in

The Savic Residence looks like a strong cage - since we camp and go away regularly so wanted one that can be regularly handled without failing

The larger ones have 2 doors, one side and one at the end - but for the space in our house the end door is at the wrong end - anyone know if you can change where the doors are?

Anyone recommend this, or a different, crate?

Haven't you already asked this question or one very similar? If it wasn't you it was someone else on here very recently.

Get the type of dog box that Police have for their dogs in transit. It will save you and the dog if you should have a car accident. They are also useful as a temporary dog kennel or a dog bed in the house or when travelling. All five of our dogs have loved theirs.

The wire cage is good for indoors but useless if you have a car accident.

omg - just checked my post history and yes, similar but slightly different question back when we were just starting to look for a dog - you clearly have a much better memory than I Chez2!

For travel we are thinking about a Saunders guard and plan to use the crate purely as a doggy cave/bedroom - size will depend on the dog really, a little female GSD may be happier in something smaller than a big male but the ones with 2 doors are laid out back to front for our house

I have looked everywhere but not found anyone who has said the doors can be moved in a Savic - so my guess is they wont, but thought it was worth asking

If you care about your dog(s) you wouldn't let it rattle around in the car. Its like having a person in the car without a seatbelt on. I hate those guards and think they should be banned.

The other advantage about the Police style crates is that you can leave the tailgate of the car up while you are parked for the dog to get some air. We have had one of these crates for fifteen years now and its still going strong. We have got through a couple of the good quality wire cages. One of our pups was clever enough to work out how to open the wire cage from the inside! Brute force bouncing around can also open them.

We have just ordered a second Police style cage so we can open each side and get one dog out at a time. If you have a car accident the Police cage can save the life of your dog even if the car is badly damaged. A large dog is a lethal missile for people too.

We have had three dogs and two bitches. One dog and one bitch have been average to slim but the others quite big. Four large muscled high drive working shepherds, one more gentle show line. Two dogs go in the Police dog cage together without any bother. You could have a smaller one built and still leave some luggage space in the boot.

I will ask hubby for a link. We are just about to pick our second one up. They are made to order.

I have a savic n the doors can't be moved. We've had it about 10 years for GSD's n it's still going strong. Bought a cheaper one in an emergency for our leonberger n he broke right out of it.

I have a savic n the doors can't be moved. We've had it about 10 years for GSD's n it's still going strong. Bought a cheaper one in an emergency for our leonberger n he broke right out of it.

The door is unlocked by sliding the 'bolt like' handle. Its this what one of our dogs learned to fiddle about with and open. One dog, as a small pup, bounced around the cage enough to enable the bolt to open itself and hence the door opened.

We used her crate as her bed. She hardly ever slept and hardly rested, still doesn't at three years old. :rolleyes:It was important for her own safety that she was crated when we slept at night. She managed to open the crate lock on the door at only three and four months old.

You want something like this (see link). We have one on order from here and have had one made to measure elsewhere fifteen years ago. The older box is still going strong.

http://www.lintran.co.uk/

Edited by Chez2
added link

The large one I have has a hook type bolt so the handle has to be lifted right up to slide it out. The Leo is like Houdini but he's never escaped from the savic

Ours has a hook on the end of the bolt too. Our pup was very boisterous and managed to undo the bolt several times by throwing herself against the crate. We used to cover the crate to get her to sleep but she never slept like the previous three young dogs did. Once awake she wanted out, even in the middle of the night.