Best value 4k tv..

I recently bought a 4k telly (LG60UF850V) I have a decent collection of 4k films now which do look very good. I was up for a new TV and 4k just seemed to be a wise choice. 1080p also looks better due to some fancy named upscaling engine. This TV was a tenner short of a grand, not cheap but not the most expensive by a long way.

About a year ago I bought a Tesco Direct special, smart (ish) WiFi TV for £299 (50" Digihome) The picture isn't bad but you see why it was £299. For the money I think it's a good TV and that also came with a 5 year warranty. This one lives in the bedroom and mainly gets used for console games and Netflix.

If your budget allows and you think you'll use it, go for a 4k. If not, a 1080p TV still has a sharp picture and I'm sure will be much better than the old one.

I was going to call in to cramptons in Ecclesfield but will drop in to richer sounds, thanks for the advice, it makes a lot of sense to a not too tech savvy guy.

I'll post the results of my new tv exploration episode, missus arguments and all when all shops have been visited.

See how she likes it :)

Actually I would recommend Cramptons as well as I went there with my son to buy a TV when Richers were out of stock. Good friendly service and not pushy and the price was the same. The advantage with Richer was it had a free 5 year extended guarantee.

:)

4k, this is where your other question becomes relevant. Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services are offering some 4K content, only set to increase. But to enjoy it you need a solid fibre broadband connection, including decent upload. I'd say a reliable 50/5 connection as a minimum is needed.

I don't think Amazon prime is streaming 4K stuff over here yet, they've been doing it in the states for a year or so.

Netflix do, mostly on their own series, and some 4K BluRay Discs are available now - although you need a 4K BluRay player to go with that disc as the normal BluRay player can't manage it!.

Don't get taken in by "Mastered in 4K" though, which is just the original film re-mastered in 4K and then compressed down to 1080p, they were just released as a stop-gap before full 4K discs hit the market.

Netflix/YouTube 4K streams fine on Infinity 1 (30Mbp/s ish)

I like the way they say that there is scant evidence of any big broadcasters wanting to go 4k when most don't even broadcast @ 1080! At the moment 60 channels are broadcast in normal definition compared to 12 in HD on terrestrial TV. I don't think many new HD channels are in the pipeline either.

Sky are planning 4K IIRC, no doubt for a nice healthy bump in your monthly payment and Virgin TV have a 4K box in the pipeline.

BT also 'broadcast' some stuff in 4K like the footy.

Edited by geared

In my experience you do get a better 1080p picture on a 4K TV.

However, if you are a gamer then its worth looking for a 1080p TV with the lowest input latency possible as even the best 4K will be slightly higher latency due to the upscaling.

Its a bigger problem for online FPS than anything else though.

Sky are planning 4K IIRC, no doubt for a nice healthy bump in your monthly payment and Virgin TV have a 4K box in the pipeline.

BT also 'broadcast' some stuff in 4K like the footy.

Sky Q will offer Ultra HD from the first of this year’s Premier League season, with the widest range of Ultra HD content in the market at no extra cost

Thanks for the advertising blub Sky-man, but people are more interested in the specifics.

For example it's all well and good offering 4K content, but if the majority of that is going to be football and movies (which require additional payments) then it's not so 'great' anymore.

Sky Q will offer Ultra HD from the first of this year’s Premier League season, with the widest range of Ultra HD content in the market at no extra cost

No extra cost other than needing to get the top Sky Q box and packages which are bleeding expensive. ;)

Unfortunately I think it will be a while before Netflix get any 4K movies in the UK as I suspect Sky have all the rights due to how few there actually are available to begin with.

I can't figure out why Amazon don't have a 4K service in the UK when they've been doing it the US for some time now??

I can't figure out why Amazon don't have a 4K service in the UK when they've been doing it the US for some time now??

Possibly because the US overall has a much better internet connectivity and speed than the UK. A great deal of the UK still cannot access fibre broadband and wont for some time yet.