Is it really worth it, really??

;)

Well yes,Alan, it is. The more knowledge one can gain regarding retail development then perhaps we can have fewer threads discussing retail trends with anecdotal comments and views which have no basis in fact.

(And l did see your wee emoticon which suggests your comment is just a jokey aside. I think learning more about the structure of the U.K.'s largest retailer is a must read for all. It should be part of the National Curriculum!)

Well yes,Alan, it is. The more knowledge one can gain regarding retail development then perhaps we can have fewer threads discussing retail trends with anecdotal comments and views which have no basis in fact.

(And l did see your wee emoticon which suggests your comment is just a jokey aside. I think learning more about the structure of the U.K.'s largest retailer is a must read for all. It should be part of the National Curriculum!)

didn't know we had to get it spot-on to make a comment. Remember no one has all the facts, so us (the ordinary forum punter) rely on heresay/perception/ideas etc to form opinions. It's how normal discussions go ... sometimes those opinions are wrong, sometimes they're right, but preventing posts and trying to save forum space because it's not been over-analysed, will eventually kill the forum.

But just to defend myself here, I'll bet the Crosspool Tesco will be far cheaper than the butcher and greengrocer that have been mentioned. And you yourself mention "convenience", as do I, so I cant be all wrong

Tesco Express is not "cheap". The brand is for convenience. Tesco Extra stores carry the "value" brands. I have experience of this when the Tesco-previously The Beehive on Dykes Hall Rd - changed to an Express from a Metro. Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.

Dykes Hall tesco has never been a metro. It's been an express store since the day it opened - i know the manager who opened the store! The expresses are more expensive than the larger stores, though.

Who designed the car park? Two banks of cars at right angles, one of these banks potentially reversing towards the store entrance, an accident waiting to happen.

how many mini super markets do we need ?

Broomhill also has a healthy student population as well as hospital and university workers in the area. Crosspool doesn't - it's mainly a middle class residents area who will either (a) shop at Tesco cos its cheap/convenient or (b) support local traders. Few will do both

For most items, then perhaps no hyper, which was why I mentioned the F&V potential problem, that will require loyalty over anything.

However, meat is something that people (esp. in this type of area) will prefer to buy locally if it's good. These 'locals supermarkets' as convenient and high quality as they may try to be, still can't compare with many butchers with good reputations*.

Tesco Express is not "cheap". The brand is for convenience. Tesco Extra stores carry the "value" brands. I have experience of this when the Tesco-previously The Beehive on Dykes Hall Rd - changed to an Express from a Metro. Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.

-

You've almost answered you own point here. It could be part of the curriculum to see how companies [like this] work, but most still don't care, that why they shop with companies like this, and buy iPhones and VodaPhones, and the answer was in the top bit - convenience.

-

*perhaps when people have completely given in on caring about anything useful to society - which can't be far off - independents might stay running if communities insist on local companies are integrated INTO these things, rather than excluded. Rather like I've noticed recently PO's merging into local shops to save on money.

Car park is poor, the finish of the stonework is poor, the prices are high, the shop is smaller than it could have been. It is still better than the local spar. However I live inbetween crookes shops and crosspool shops so I will continue to shop in Crookes as the Local Sainsburys and the local Co-op are both significantly better than this Tesco.

With 9 car parking spaces and road space for a few more this Tesco will do well.

Car park is poor, the finish of the stonework is poor, the prices are high, the shop is smaller than it could have been. It is still better than the local spar. However I live inbetween crookes shops and crosspool shops so I will continue to shop in Crookes as the Local Sainsburys and the local Co-op are both significantly better than this Tesco.

With 9 car parking spaces and road space for a few more this Tesco will do well.

I think Sainsbury's have upped their game in the last few years, especially staff with tills/queueing. The smaller new Tescos are dreadful. I went in the one on Sharrow Lane and it was the scruffiest dump I've been in in ages. The one at Fulwood isn't much better and unless absolutely desperate for fuel I don't go in there either.

Who designed the car park? Two banks of cars at right angles, one of these banks potentially reversing towards the store entrance, an accident waiting to happen.

The car parking at this Tesco is causing a bit of a problem.

Firstly, as said earlier, it's poorly laid out so it's difficult to get in and out of at busier times.

Secondly, as more and more cars park on both sides of the road (maybe partly to avoid using the car park), often half on the pavements, it creates a traffic hazard as it's hard to see when it's clear as you emerge from the car park. Cars already on Mcr Road (doing maybe 30-40mph) may not see these cars and pedestrians (who are often the occupants of the parked cars opposite).

Edited by Bilge