End of the line for Netto (again)

Are you sad to see Netto go?

We have started a petition to try to persuade Sainsbury's to reconsider their decision. With at least 400 jobs across 16 branches, it has got to be worth a try!

Please sign our petition:

https://www.change.org/p/sainsbury-s-sainsbury-s-reconsider-your-decision-to-close-netto-s-uk-stores

But what is the point, if the shop isn't making enough money to pay rent, pay staff and make a profit, why keep it open???

But what is the point, if the shop isn't making enough money to pay rent, pay staff and make a profit, why keep it open???

That's not the reason. It doesn't seem to be making a loss; rather the big nobs have decided they want a bigger toy now so don't want this one any more. They want Argos.

Morrisons, although the bags are a bit big if you only have a little freezer.

Not chopped sadly only whole leaf

That's not the reason. It doesn't seem to be making a loss; rather the big nobs have decided they want a bigger toy now so don't want this one any more. They want Argos.

Why put all the blame on Sainsburys. They only own 50% of this joint venture, it was only a trial and have quite rightly chosen to focus on the parts of their business that are making a profit and have a long term future.

If Dansk Supermarked Group wanted to keep the name going on there was nothing to stop them finding another partner or run the stores 100% themselves.

Fact is the ship sailed. Aldi and Lidl were far more established and are making far greater profits than a reformed Netto ever would.

When the group was first flogged to Asda it clearly failed. An attempt to bring it back has failed to.

Its devistating to the staff no doubt and if Sainsburys have any shred of decency they will do all they can to make sure those staff are deployed elsewhere in the company where possible.

However, the bottom line is, it business. Its there to make money. When it doesn't you get rid.

Us consumers are hardly in a place to be on the moral high ground. The store was rarely busy, in fact in my experience was nearly always dead. One sniff that its closing down and I see reports and comments about the store being rammed and trolleys heaving with discounted and sale stock.

Absolutely Typical. Just like Woolworths, Comet and BHS. Nobody shopped there when it was open. Nobody cared. But as soon as a closure is announced we flock to get our fill of the closing sale stock and then show our faux upset and criticism about the management for closing it.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Absolutely Typical. Just like Woolworths, Comet and BHS.

Except it's not

Neither is BHS anything like Woolworths for that matter

Sainsburys do frozen chopped spinach.

Will be sorry to see Netto close at Kilner way. The staff there are lovely and were shell shocked this morning - didn't open until 11am. They didn't tell us why but it was obvious they'd had bad news. Hope they find new jobs soon.

Best wishes to them.

I agree with you there. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.

I agree with you there. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Yes, they have been trained very well, they are very customer-orientated.

One of the big chains will go under in the next cple of years, either morrisons or Tesco, they cannot stand the pressure form the german disconters.

Its devastating to the staff no doubt and if Sainsburys have any shred of decency they will do all they can to make sure those staff are deployed elsewhere in the company where possible.

Absolutely. This is the real tragedy. I also really hope Sainsburys absorb them into the parent company.

Absolutely. This is the real tragedy. I also really hope Sainsburys absorb them into the parent company.

Sainburys should hang their head in shame - the staff are getting no help at all. It was said when Netto first opened that should it close, then yes they would be absorbed. Not even the managers who oversaw the opening etc are getting any help. Disgusting.

I rarely shop at Sainburys due to the high prices so they will gain no extra business from me.

One of the big chains will go under in the next cple of years, either morrisons or Tesco, they cannot stand the pressure form the german disconters.

I can't see that happening