Sheffield round walk?

Has anybody done the whole thing? How long did it take you? Which was your favourite bit?

Has anybody done the whole thing? How long did it take you? Which was your favourite bit?

I'm out of touch with walks nowadays... Is this the one that used to be called The Sheffield Walk: "a forty-five mile circular walk round the City of Sheffield"? I did 21 miles of it back in 1985, Redmires-Totley-Woodhouse. Took 7 hours on a very hot day. Did it alone and it was a bit uncomfortable in places: too many Neanderthals taking the p*ss and trying to make trouble. Tried it once, didn't like it :)

I assume you mean the 12(ish) miles from Endcliffe Park to Graves Park - or vice versa - ls212121.

I have done it in two stages - with the kids on tow - many moons ago.

The best bit for me was the stretch from Ecclesall Woods by Abbey Lane, up through Limb Brook, and down Porter Brook to Endcliffe. A very pleasant walk indeed. This section took about 4 hours (with a few stops) if I remember correctly.

I assume you mean the 12(ish) miles from Endcliffe Park to Graves Park - or vice versa - ls212121.

I have done it in two stages - with the kids on tow - many moons ago.

The best bit for me was the stretch from Ecclesall Woods by Abbey Lane, up through Limb Brook, and down Porter Brook to Endcliffe. A very pleasant walk indeed. This section took about 4 hours (with a few stops) if I remember correctly.

According to the little leaflet I have, this is the South Sheffield round walk. It's 14 miles, apparently. And I haven't yet tackled it, tho it's on my list of Things to Try over the next few weeks. Maybe we should get a unofficial Sheffield Forum Walk party sorted!

i did it last year. it used to run from endcliffe park to graves park, but now they've made it a complete circuit. unfotunately, a good portion of the bit which connects graves to endcliffe isn't in woodland or park, its mainly roads from meersbrook to nether edge. apart from that , though, its a great walk and takes a good 4 to 5 hours. i'd recommend it

my favourite bit is Limb valley, between ringinglow and ecclesall road

I have, its brill, but I recced it in two stages, it has good and logical re-watering places, Forge Dam cafe, the pub at Ringinglow whose name evades me at the moment,\and others, if you get desperate you are never more than a couple of miles from a bus route.

The Sheffield Round Walk is different to the Sheffield Country Walk (the 45 mile one). I wrote the development plan for the walk 6 or 7 years ago. At that point it was as saxon51 describes it - from Endcliffe to Graves. We decided it should be a circuler walk and so completed the loop frm Graves back to Endcliffe.

The original walk is amazing - in what other city could you walk through 9 miles of parks, woodland and countryside with only the briefest sections of habitation to remind you that you are actually within one of the largest cities in the country...

The route from Graves to Endcliffe is not as green; it has more street sections. Nevertheless it still takes in the Gleadless Valley, Meersbrook Park, Broadfield Road Open Space, Brincliffe Edge Wood and Chelsea Park. The best bit is Porter Valley (once you have left the masses behind in Endcliffe and Whiteley Wood).

Most of the route is surfaced, but some sections are pretty boggy (the upper Limb Valley is worst) so you need decent shoes. All of the route should be signposted, but it's best to get a copy of the guide to help you. Please see:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/maps/sheffield-round-walk

I would say 4 hours is not enough - 6 hours would be nearer the mark, especially if you stop at the Norfolk Arms or Whirlowbrook Cafe for refreshments. :P

Had a day off today so I thought I'd tackle the walk.really enyoyed it but got a big blister tho,took me about six hours.

It's great...and it's deceptive, you get to Abbeydale Road and think "only just up to Graves Park and down again, must be nearly done" then realise you're only half way around, and facing some quite serious uphill climbing too!

Worth using the guide (just buy one from Encliffe Park Cafe at the start!) as MOST of the route is 'posted but vandals do delight in removing key ones.

It's remarkably different doing it backwards too (no, not walking backwards, that would be a right sponsored walk feat!!) so you get two walks out of it, just comeing to things from the other direction is worth doing.

4.5 hours is good going I reckon, that's about what it took me but I don't stop once I'm walking, I prefer to keep pressing on, then the thought of a few well earned pints at the end spurs me on. Allow 6 hours if you want to stop, look at things, pause for a coffee in one of the parks etc.

Took me 6 hours one hot summer day two years ago! I enjoyed it very much - though I was very tired at the end lol!

The best bits for me were the Limb valley and the bit around Beauchief Gold course (mainly because this bit was flat!)

The guide sounds a good idea - there are bits in Ecclesall Woods and in Nether Edge which are poorly signposted.