Agressive man Sheffield City Centre

I'm afraid these people are here for good, blame government cut's and austerity.

You do all realize that there are about 11 rough sleepers in Sheffield? ELEVEN.

The city does not have a homeless problem. It does have a drug/drink/antisocial behaviour problem however.

Remember- unless you've encountered one of the eleven- the person hassling you for money is not homeless, but probably is using drugs/drink. That's where your money is going- not on anything else.

These people support their habits and behaviour by kindly souls giving them money in the streets. Don't give them anything is the quickest way to clear the city up of what are pretty much just antisocial conmen,

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/no-need-to-open-up-empty-buildings-for-rough-sleepers-in-sheffield-says-council-chiefs-1-7687069

Eleven?

There's more than that kipping out at the bottom of the ramp at Manchester Piccadilly station every neet.

Eleven rough sleepers in Sheffield is a large number, traveling in Sheffield city centre early in a morning it is obvious that the problem as got worst in recent years.

Not sure if it's connected but the number of street drinkers in the day as increased

How have you arrived at that number?

It's in the news report I linked to above- and in official figures. Agencies that work with rough sleepers in Sheffield also quote it.

Eleven is eleven too many of course- but in a city the size of Sheffield, it's a tiny amount of people.

Aggressive beggars can get more than £100 a day begging- that keeps them in drink/drugs, and ensures they never bother to get help.

It's 100 per cent a false-kindness to give to street beggars.

It's in the news report I linked to above- and in official figures. Agencies that work with rough sleepers in Sheffield also quote it.

Eleven is eleven too many of course- but in a city the size of Sheffield, it's a tiny amount of people.

Aggressive beggars can get more than £100 a day begging- that keeps them in drink/drugs, and ensures they never bother to get help.

Even if they got £200 a day they would not be any happier or better off. Unless they started looking within themselves and face the intense issues that make them the way they are now.

I reckon that no matter how rich or well of a society is there will always be few who will become like that aggressive man in Sheffield.

Well I agree with everything you said but if people dont agree with us and still want to give then give them food and drink. If they are genuine they will accept it with open arms. If, as you and I suspect they are not, then they will get grumpy and refuse.

What are these 'aggressive' beggars of which you speak? The only kind of begging I ever see in town is strictly of a passive nature, i.e. a weather-beaten, pale, knackered individual sat on the pavement, with a paper cup in front of them. Simply whispering 'spare some change' isn't aggression. If someone steps in your path, prevents you from moving away, repeatedly demands money, that would qualify. But I've never witnessed or been on the receiving end of such behaviour.

I'd also challenge the word 'beggar' itself. Begging is an action, not a noun to describe another human being. Most people who beg on the streets will be homeless or insecurely housed and unemployed. Many will have substance abuse issues, and some also will have untreated mental conditions. Which of those characteristics should we pick upon to create a handy label?

It is true that it's better to offer food/drink, or during winter months, warm clothing, than just money. But that is not always the case with every homeless person. They may still be perfectly capable of spending that money in a way that keeps body and soul together. If you ever have a conversation with homeless people selling the Big Issue, you'll get a better idea of what's going through the minds of the homeless at any particular moment.

---------- Post added 13-07-2016 at 14:49 ----------

why has this thread about an aggressive man and aggressive begging , been hijacked with posts about the homeless ?

It hasn't been hijacked, it's just been broadened to discuss the root causes of people begging and/or being intoxicated in public.

What are these 'aggressive' beggars of which you speak? The only kind of begging I ever see in town is strictly of a passive nature, i.e. a weather-beaten, pale, knackered individual sat on the pavement, with a paper cup in front of them. Simply whispering 'spare some change' isn't aggression. If someone steps in your path, prevents you from moving away, repeatedly demands money, that would qualify. But I've never witnessed or been on the receiving end of such behaviour.

I'd also challenge the word 'beggar' itself. Begging is an action, not a noun to describe another human being. Most people who beg on the streets will be homeless or insecurely housed and unemployed. Many will have substance abuse issues, and some also will have untreated mental conditions. Which of those characteristics should we pick upon to create a handy label?

It is true that it's better to offer food/drink, or during winter months, warm clothing, than just money. But that is not always the case with every homeless person. They may still be perfectly capable of spending that money in a way that keeps body and soul together. If you ever have a conversation with homeless people selling the Big Issue, you'll get a better idea of what's going through the minds of the homeless at any particular moment.

---------- Post added 13-07-2016 at 14:49 ----------

It hasn't been hijacked, it's just been broadened to discuss the root causes of people begging and/or being intoxicated in public.

Firstly the aggressive beggars we speak of are like the chap in the Facebook post I posted at the start. They exist many people are harassed by them (read the posts on FB and you will see many examples of this).

As for giving money. Yes your right there are genuine homeless people that can decide and manage money. However the people I refer to I have my suspicions that they spend it on drugs and drink. Now I could be judging them and could be wrong. However if I am right and I give them money not only am I continuing the problem but I could end up killing them. I know first hand, because my dad died of alcoholism, that alcohol can kill. So even the most selfless person on here surely wouldn't want to be responsible for that. Would you buy an alcoholic a beer (no of course you wouldn't) well giving them money is just the same.

Firstly the aggressive beggars we speak of are like the chap in the Facebook post I posted at the start. They exist many people are harassed by them (read the posts on FB and you will see many examples of this).

As for giving money. Yes your right there are genuine homeless people that can decide and manage money. However the people I refer to I have my suspicions that they spend it on drugs and drink. Now I could be judging them and could be wrong. However if I am right and I give them money not only am I continuing the problem but I could end up killing them. I know first hand, because my dad died of alcoholism, that alcohol can kill. So even the most selfless person on here surely wouldn't want to be responsible for that. Would you buy an alcoholic a beer (no of course you wouldn't) well giving them money is just the same.

That's exactly it. Money isn't helping- it's killing them, and makes the problem worse. The best thing you can really is direct them to a service like Turning Point to get accomodation. If they are actually homeless, they'll go, and they'll be housed.

Big Issue sellers aren't homeless (unless they happen to be one of the 11, but chances are they aren't)- but they are people making efforts to get their life back on track and do something, so need support in that way. They are also monitored and given support- so buying a Big Issue is a way of encouraging this, and also sends out a message to those who are begging for drink and drug money that doing something pro-active is a good thing. If they see Big Issue sellers doing well, that's an encouragement to get involved with that. Be aware that most Big Issue sellers are as angry about street beggars as everyone else- it gives them a bad name, is dishonest, and directs money away from them.

I think people are just very unaware of what is actually going on- they want to give money to help, but as the above poster said, all you're doing is buying drink and drugs for them. The money is going into the hands of some of the worst, most violent, despicable drug dealers in the city- something I think most people would be horrified to know they are funding.