Agressive man Sheffield City Centre

I'm not talking homeless folk,I'm talking beggars,as for trying to find a job there's plenty what do.

well with me it was years ago, and folk gave me money for a cup of tea etc. i was young then but got of the streets, now doing quite well 40 something years ago, they the beggars just look them in the eye and say got nothing im as skint as you and walk away

Edited by backwardben
done

Problem is there are two groups here. The homeless that need our help and support and the aggressive beggars that refuse help and simply try to get money for beer and drugs.

The worrying trend in Sheffield though is there is about 20 of these aggressive beggars (the one in the post is one such example) and they cause huge problems. Especially outside Tescos on West Street and near Fitzalan Square.

Something needs to be done about it, I dont know what but something needs to change.

Ive often been accosted by beggars, and whilst I've never given them anything, I've also never been verbally abused. I've always looked at them and replied with something like "sorry mate, not today".

If I had to resort to begging, the thing that would infuriate me most would be people ignoring me as a person - either because I'm not worthy or out of some kind of embarrassment. Just reply to them, after all they're just people, don't look the other way. How you treat them as people goes a long way to how they'll treat/respect you.

just my tuppence

It was found several decades ago that where the mentally ill are concerned 'locking them up in an asylum' was morally wrong and, harmfull to both the inmates and society in general.

You're clearly quite disturbed yourself. If you continue to have your shopping disrupted, can I suggest Meadowhall, there's no homeless people there, and, you'd probably find yourself amongst like-'minded' people? :)

Thats not the point, She is simply saying it isn't pleasant been harrassed by these people in town and I agree, why should I go to Meadowhall because of the fear of some lowlife throwing abuse at me.

Time to man up and sort these people out and rid them from the streets.

Do you understand what slavery means?

No I only know what freedom means. By knowing freedom I also know that many poorly paid jobs out there are nothing more than a modern form of slavery.

Aggressive beggars are not going to be happy and resolved by getting one of these so called minimum wage jobs.

No I only know what freedom means..

How are you defining that? Most of us are bound by commitments, be that work, family, friends, money constraints. Those that are free of all the trappings of life in terms of time aren't free to spend that time enjoyably as they are poor

I really dislike some of the beggars, the ones that come into your own personal space and try to intimidate you. Those type of people make town a very unpleasant place.

I have nothing against homeless people at all. I befriended an old homeless chap when i worked in town years ago, used to spend my lunch with him outside the cathedral. I used to buy him a coffee and we'd chat whilst i smoked loads of fags before going back to work.. A very nice man who had loads of stories to tell.. I would rather spend my lunch hour with him than any millionaire dressed in a suite!

I've not worked in town now for 13yrs and he was rather old so i'm not sure if he's still around anymore.. Bless him x

Thats not the point, She is simply saying it isn't pleasant been harrassed by these people in town

Then why does her post say "if they have mental problems they should be in an asylum" instead of "it's not pleasant being harassed by these people in town"?

why has this thread about an aggressive man and aggressive begging , been hijacked with posts about the homeless ?

Don't know if it's the same bloke but towards the end of my nightshift I went out for some fresh air, about 06:30. A beetroot faced alco was heading up the moor with a bag of tinnys. he didn't bother me but there was a women walking towards him. He stood there facing her and said "alcoholic". She carried on and her and he shouted "going to work love?", she replied "yes" and he says "rubbish init". Couldn't help but giggle.

You do all realize that there are about 11 rough sleepers in Sheffield? ELEVEN.

The city does not have a homeless problem. It does have a drug/drink/antisocial behaviour problem however.

Remember- unless you've encountered one of the eleven- the person hassling you for money is not homeless, but probably is using drugs/drink. That's where your money is going- not on anything else.

These people support their habits and behaviour by kindly souls giving them money in the streets. Don't give them anything is the quickest way to clear the city up of what are pretty much just antisocial conmen,

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/no-need-to-open-up-empty-buildings-for-rough-sleepers-in-sheffield-says-council-chiefs-1-7687069

How have you arrived at that number?