Agressive man Sheffield City Centre

So you've got a job- most of the homeless didn't have that option, due to things like mental illness, autism etc.

Why not reflect on your good fortune, instead of picking on those who didn't get any?

Maybe consider as well, that many of the homeless are ex-service personnel who couldn't deal with modern society when they left the military.

If you could bring yourself to speak to them, you'd find many are decent people doing their best to cope with the miserable hand they've been dealt, who are unable to progress because of the prejudice and bigotry of those who've been a lot luckier, and, who make the error of attributing that good fortune to their own 'abilities'.

The reason they are addicted to alcohol, is, pure and simple- it's the only way of coping with the extreme cold they encounter when sleeping outdoors.

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Anyone who wants to help the homeless without risking funding substance purchases, can offer to buy them some food instead.

Ok how would you propose we deal with this particular individual who is causing problems for so many?

Ok how would you propose we deal with this particular individual who is causing problems for so many?

I wouldn't. My focus is on the real problem, which is that people like this, many of them ex-military, are left homeless and hopeless, with the only 'help' offered, being from services that many of the homeless can't actually access.

As previously mentioned, alcohol is the only way to cope with regular sleep in the cold, so most homeless also acquire alcohol addiction.

Then most of society, is unable/unwilling to face the actuality of it, and insist instead, on a tirade of bigotry/prejudice that the homeless are not victims, but willing choosers of their brutal lives.

No problem can be tackled, until it is acknowledged and faced up to.

Guest makapaka
I wouldn't. My focus is on the real problem, which is that people like this, many of them ex-military, are left homeless and hopeless, with the only 'help' offered, being from services that many of the homeless can't actually access.

As previously mentioned, alcohol is the only way to cope with regular sleep in the cold, so most homeless also acquire alcohol addiction.

Then most of society, is unable/unwilling to face the actuality of it, and insist instead, on a tirade of bigotry/prejudice that the homeless are not victims, but willing choosers of their brutal lives.

No problem can be tackled, until it is acknowledged and faced up to.

This is the most intelligent post on the subject so far - well done.

Nobody likes to see homelessness or be confronted by it - it's not nice. But pretending it's the persons fault is just a flawed defence mechanism people choose to use to make themselves feel better about it.

It's one thing not being in a position to do something about it, most people fall into that category - but there's no need to blame people who are clearly struggling in the modern world (of course like I all walks of life there will be good and bad).

I don't know anything about the guy highlighted by the op by the way - was speaking generally.

So you've got a job- most of the homeless didn't have that option, due to things like mental illness, autism etc.

Why not reflect on your good fortune, instead of picking on those who didn't get any?

Maybe consider as well, that many of the homeless are ex-service personnel who couldn't deal with modern society when they left the military.

If you could bring yourself to speak to them, you'd find many are decent people doing their best to cope with the miserable hand they've been dealt, who are unable to progress because of the prejudice and bigotry of those who've been a lot luckier, and, who make the error of attributing that good fortune to their own 'abilities'.

The reason they are addicted to alcohol, is, pure and simple- it's the only way of coping with the extreme cold they encounter when sleeping outdoors.

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Anyone who wants to help the homeless without risking funding substance purchases, can offer to buy them some food instead.

Being homeless is not a valid excuse to be aggressive and try to intimidate people, don't try and act all condescending while being an apologist for completely unacceptable behaviour.

And also I hardly think the people living on the streets in Sheffield are ex-military, they're all more like career smack heads.

Walked round Sheffield yesterday,I was amazed how many beggars there were,surely there's enough jobs for them out there.

Being homeless is not a valid excuse to be aggressive and try to intimidate people, don't try and act all condescending while being an apologist for completely unacceptable behaviour.

It's correct that aggressive and abusive behaviour shouldn't be excused, that doesn't help anyone. But just condemning people doesn't help either, the reasons for rough sleeping and addiction vary from one person to the next and there are not many easy solutions. In my experience there is usually an underlying trauma of some sort, whether that's childhood sexual abuse or war experiences, serious domestic violence or something else. Dealing with trauma is not easy; there is counselling support available but this usually results in the distress being worse for a while and not everyone is ready to face that. I've known people live with severe trauma without resorting to substances to cope and all credit to them but daily life can be hell for them, I can't blame people for relying on alcohol or smack to cope, even though it's not a long term solution.

Walked round Sheffield yesterday,I was amazed how many beggars there were,surely there's enough jobs for them out there.

What you call a job I call modern slavery using low wages instead of chains.

Have you looked for a job lately? In addition, if you're homeless it's very difficult to secure work without a fixed address. Homelessness and street sleeping has vastly increased over the last five years, coinciding with the current government's policies and austerity cuts to essential services that could've kept people off the streets.

Nobody in their right mind chooses to be on the streets. The question to ask isn't 'why haven't they got jobs?' but 'what would force me onto the streets?' Because that's most likely what's put them there.

What you call a job I call modern slavery using low wages instead of chains.

Do you understand what slavery means?

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 09:59 ----------

Have you looked for a job lately? In addition, if you're homeless it's very difficult to secure work without a fixed address. Homelessness and street sleeping has vastly increased over the last five years, coinciding with the current government's policies and austerity cuts to essential services that could've kept people off the streets.

Absolutely.

Nobody in their right mind chooses to be on the streets. The question to ask isn't 'why haven't they got jobs?' but 'what would force me onto the streets?' Because that's most likely what's put them there.

The majority of people living rough have some kind of issue or mental illness that is a primary reason they find themselves in that situation and are unable to change it.

not all homeless folks are alcoholics, druggies and mental. i know i was on the streets for 2 years, i did not drink to sleep or drugs and i lived in some right holes and i was never violent

Edited by backwardben
done

not all homeless folks are alcoholics, druggies and mental. i know i was on the streets for 2 years, i did not drink to sleep or drugs and i lived in some right holes and i was never violent

I'm not talking homeless folk,I'm talking beggars,as for trying to find a job there's plenty what do.