Agressive man Sheffield City Centre

I used to work near there as well. You claerly have no conception of the work that is undertaken there, how you claim they "fund their addiction" is mind boggling.

Yes, cracking idea about the Cathedral Archer Project not being in the city centre next to the Cathedral, maybe we should move it out to Dore, its only round the corner.

I know they don't fund their addiction, but people reading this may well do. Stop giving them money and they'll eventually go away.

As for the good work they do, well I'm sure they do something but at the moment there is little evidence to go on. Town is crawling with people drinking in the streets and begging. It's not a nice place to be, and I avoid it when possible. I'm sure I'm not the only one going by this thread.

I know they don't fund their addiction, but people reading this may well do. Stop giving them money and they'll eventually go away.

As for the good work they do, well I'm sure they do something but at the moment there is little evidence to go on. Town is crawling with people drinking in the streets and begging. It's not a nice place to be, and I avoid it when possible. I'm sure I'm not the only one going by this thread.

There would be street drinkers if the CAP existed or not.

The last I heard, the city centre was supposed to be an alcohol exclusion zone...

Edited by Ghostrider

The last I heard, the city centre was supposed to be an alcohol exclusion zone...

Yeah, try getting a PCSO or one of the City Centre Ambassadors to walk up to a group of street drinkers and attempt to confiscate their alcohol. Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Hambeast
typo

Yeah, try getting a PCSO or one of the City Centre Ambarassodrs to walk up to a group of street drinkers and attempt to confiscate their alcohol. Let us know how you get on.

Yeah, I know. I used to manage a pub close to the archer project...

Yeah, I know. I used to manage a pub close to the archer project...

Fair enough, you know how difficult it is in practice then. That rule hasnt been applied consistently, its only meant to stop anti-social drinking, and not stop Mr and Mrs Middle Class enjoying a bottle of Prosecco with a civilised picnic on Devonshire Green on a lovely summers day. Ive known the latter happen, and not the former. So go figure.

Why? I unfortunately have to work near there and encounter it's clients on a daily basis. They hang around the outside round the corner drinking their special brew and drag one of the nicer areas of town down to their level.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I personally think this kind of thing should be located out of town so as not to encourage the tramps to populate our city centre. Maybe then we'd get some shops etc.

So you've got a job- most of the homeless didn't have that option, due to things like mental illness, autism etc.

Why not reflect on your good fortune, instead of picking on those who didn't get any?

Maybe consider as well, that many of the homeless are ex-service personnel who couldn't deal with modern society when they left the military.

If you could bring yourself to speak to them, you'd find many are decent people doing their best to cope with the miserable hand they've been dealt, who are unable to progress because of the prejudice and bigotry of those who've been a lot luckier, and, who make the error of attributing that good fortune to their own 'abilities'.

The reason they are addicted to alcohol, is, pure and simple- it's the only way of coping with the extreme cold they encounter when sleeping outdoors.

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Anyone who wants to help the homeless without risking funding substance purchases, can offer to buy them some food instead.

So you've got a job- most of the homeless didn't have that option, due to things like mental illness, autism etc.

Why not reflect on your good fortune, instead of picking on those who didn't get any?

Maybe consider as well, that many of the homeless are ex-service personnel who couldn't deal with modern society when they left the military.

If you could bring yourself to speak to them, you'd find many are decent people doing their best to cope with the miserable hand they've been dealt, who are unable to progress because of the prejudice and bigotry of those who've been a lot luckier, and, who make the error of attributing that good fortune to their own 'abilities'.

The reason they are addicted to alcohol, is, pure and simple- it's the only way of coping with the extreme cold they encounter when sleeping outdoors.

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Anyone who wants to help the homeless without risking funding substance purchases, can offer to buy them some food instead.

No why should homeless people go around harassing people? It's not about luck it's about how you live so yes the majority of homeless people don't need to be homeless it's their choice and they do not want to help themselves I'm sick of walking through the town centre with my child and being harassed especially in cathedral area I am all for helping people who are in genuine need but never these drunk awful people who should be locked up as u say if they have mental problems they should be in an asylum better than flipping out and killing an innocent person.

Homelessness is not nice but a lot of them can help themselves but choose not to, no one should have to put up with being harassed when walking the town centre, begging is horrible

"In an asylum"

Is it 1850? Dear god.

No why should homeless people go around harassing people? It's not about luck it's about how you live so yes the majority of homeless people don't need to be homeless it's their choice and they do not want to help themselves I'm sick of walking through the town centre with my child and being harassed especially in cathedral area I am all for helping people who are in genuine need but never these drunk awful people who should be locked up as u say if they have mental problems they should be in an asylum better than flipping out and killing an innocent person.

Homelessness is not nice but a lot of them can help themselves but choose not to, no one should have to put up with being harassed when walking the town centre, begging is horrible

It was found several decades ago that where the mentally ill are concerned 'locking them up in an asylum' was morally wrong and, harmfull to both the inmates and society in general.

You're clearly quite disturbed yourself. If you continue to have your shopping disrupted, can I suggest Meadowhall, there's no homeless people there, and, you'd probably find yourself amongst like-'minded' people? :)

the majority of homeless people don't need to be homeless it's their choice

What evidence do you have for this?