Company introduces ‘English language-only’ rule for European workers

So when you ring a Sheffield company, you are happy speaking to someone who cannot speak English ?

Or is there a hidden option....press 9 to speak to a troll translator.

:loopy::loopy::loopy:

Have you read the story? They work in the warehouse.

I don't wanna burst your bubble but it also says no-one will be disciplined if they continue to speak Polish or Slovakian.

It's a warehouse.....

like i said health and safety!! warehouses are dangerous places, forklifts, stacking pallets etc:rolleyes::rolleyes:

like i said health and safety!! warehouses are dangerous places, forklifts, stacking pallets etc:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes. So if Pawel is about to be run over by a forklift it's probably better if Dariusz shouts, 'look out mate!' in his own language, isn't it?

Do you moan when you go for a curry if the chefs are speaking Urdu in the kitchen?

It is worth noting that it is not illegal to specify a language requirement when advertising a job.

Have you read the story? They work in the warehouse.

I don't wanna burst your bubble but it also says no-one will be disciplined if they continue to speak Polish or Slovakian.

They really need to speak English though, not being able to understand oral instructions is a H&S nightmare.

And disciplined or not, that makes no difference to me..

They really need to speak English though, not being able to understand oral instructions is a H&S nightmare.

And disciplined or not, that makes no difference to me..

Still not read the article? It doesn't say they can't speak English. It says some English workers have complained because they chat amongst themselves in Polish or Slovakian.

why? i wouldnt employ anyone who couldnt speak english well, for one thing its dangerous and a health and safety issue never mind the public facing point?:rolleyes:

I worked with the European Space Research Organisation (ESRO) starting in the late 60's and then they had two working languages, French and English.

If we had a French project scientist the rocket countdown would be in French any other nationality it would be in English, the common language of the rest of the scientists. There certainly was a health and safety problem with a large amount of high explosives in the Rockets and the launch team at Esrange always seemed to use the common language of English. We did have one Welsh Project scientist who insisted in doing a practice countdown in Welsh.

BTW the Dutch had a wonderful gift with language, they could translate everyone's jokes and still make them funny

Edited by Blackbeard

Still not read the article? It doesn't say they can't speak English. It says some English workers have complained because they chat amongst themselves in Polish or Slovakian.
No, I have not.

But just to instill a bit of paranoia...they could be saying anything :hihi:

No, I have not.

But just to instill a bit of paranoia...they could be saying anything :hihi:

Most probably are. Who cares?

Yes. So if Pawel is about to be run over by a forklift it's probably better if Dariusz shouts, 'look out mate!' in his own language, isn't it?

Do you moan when you go for a curry if the chefs are speaking Urdu in the kitchen?

much better if Dariusz shouts "look out" in English to BOB or Dave if they are about to be run over by the forklift?? learn english to work here seems sensible?

well if the chefs are speaking Urdu theres a good chance i will get a good curry:thumbsup: i am sure in that situation the job applicant should speak both.

much better if Dariusz shouts "look out" in English to BOB or Dave if they are about to be run over by the forklift?? learn english to work here seems sensible?

well if the chefs are speaking Urdu theres a good chance i will get a good curry:thumbsup: i am sure in that situation the job applicant should speak both.

Haha you have outfoxed me! Except for the fact the article doesn't say they can't speak English, which I have already pointed out to Ghostrider and you'd know if you bothered to read the article or the thread.

Has usual everybody got on band wagon, Not knowing what was said by management at this company to its European workers Nothing to do with paying proper wages