Can you recommend a good nursing home?

Not sure if this is the right section to ask in, but we have to find a nursing home for my 90 year old father, can anyone recommend one please. Any area would be fine. There is no one in my circle of friends who have had any experience in choosing one I therefore would be very grateful for any help if possible.

Hi Chris

Were abouts in Sheffield are you

Contact Social Services Adult Care -they will give you on a booklet listing all nursing homes in Sheffield including high dependency/ dementia care etc. You don't have to be socially funded to get this info - Social Services should guide you through the procedures including fees etc.and also help you with funding if needed.They were wonderful in helping me find somewhere for my Mum. She's happily settled and cared for at Norton Lees Lodge. I know Social Services often get bad press but they helped me and my family. Maybe we were just lucky in having a Social worker with lots of experience in dementia care but I couldn't have done it without them! Hope this helps.

Ann x

Thank you for your replies. We are in S9. But would be happy to travel to get a good place.

http://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-308151020

My relative (95) is in this one which had gone downhill last year but has now picked up a bit. She is happy there because it is about 6 smaller houses with 10 residents upstairs and 10 downstairs depending on needs.

Go to visit a few unannounced, have a list of questions about things you may be concerned about. Choice of food, can they bring some of their own furniture, ratio of staff per resident, outings, entertainment. Check the homes rating on the http://www.cqc.org.uk website before making a choice. Some are like large hotels and can be daunting for older people used to small homes or flats. If you are self funding then rates vary from @ £400 - £800.

The Sheffield Carers centre is a good place to ask for advice - they will tell you what to look for. http://sheffieldcarers.org.uk/ It is a daunting task and you are still a carer even with someone who lives in residential care as you still have to make decisions about them

If you are self funding then don't exepect too much help from social workers - 3 yrs ago I was told very plainly I was basically on my own as my relative was self funding. They were wrong in saying that but help was zero.

Good Luck

Edited by gene
additional info

Depending on the level of care required, you could take a look at Abbeyfield, on Fulwood Road, Fulwood, S10. They are only a small home, based on independent living, but the standards are high, they are warm and friendly and it is tastefully furnished with a beautiful garden and terrace, close to the shops and country-side. The food is always freshly prepared.

They currently have a single room and the top floor flatlet available. I use to work for them. NHS nursing staff say it is the best kept secret in Sheffield, they are rubbish at promoting themselves......

Good luck.