Horse and Jockey Wadsley Lane

Norfolk arms grenoside

Umm, what do you mean?

Guest makapaka
Oh dear. Still not quite correct. Closer though.

Problem with these supposed beer afficianados - very keen to denounce anything they don't personally like.

Gets right on my nerves.

The pubs aren't there to cater for your personal taste - if a person can't find a single drink in a pub they can bring themselves to drink I don't think pubs are for them.

Just buy a bottle of what you like and drink it at home.

Moaning about pubs trying to succeed based on personal taste

is just damaging to an already struggling industry that we need to be doing the best to support.

makapaka, what are you on about? I like the Horse and Jockey. Find where I have suggested otherwise.

Edited by Lurgh Mor

Guest makapaka
makapaka, what are you on about? I like the Horse and Jockey. Find where I have suggested otherwise.

Sorry - I just saw i quoted your post but i didn't intend to.

My post was in support of the horse and jockey also.

Steady on there Makapaca! I liked the Horse and Jockey too! I thought they were making a real good go of it! Haven't been in there since I was last in Sheffield in July, but I'm coming home for a few days in November and will definitely give it another go.

I stand by what I said about the Stancill's beers though. T'Jockey had about ten hand-pumps on, I tried about 4 or 5 different beers and just didn't like any of 'em! Maybe it's just my personal taste, but Stancill's beers don't seem that popular amongst some other posters too!

I can happily meet friends in any kind of pub or bar and I can easily find summat else to drink if I don't like the beer in that particular pub or bar - but if the choice is up to me, I tend to choose pubs and bars where I like the beer....and so far, the Stancill's Brewery brews just about the worst beers I've ever tasted!

Problem with these supposed beer afficianados - very keen to denounce anything they don't personally like.

Gets right on my nerves.

The pubs aren't there to cater for your personal taste - if a person can't find a single drink in a pub they can bring themselves to drink I don't think pubs are for them.

Just buy a bottle of what you like and drink it at home.

Moaning about pubs trying to succeed based on personal taste

is just damaging to an already struggling industry that we need to be doing the best to support.

Sorry to get on your nerves! I never refer to myself as a "beer aficionado" ("aficionado" is one "f" and an "o" after the "c" btw - just thought I'd point this out because if Lurgh Mor sees this he's bound to pull you up on it). I don't subscribe to CAMRA and I don't go around pubs with a little notebook writing down tasting notes and comparing them. Those folk are a little bit sad imo. All I'm saying is...I've been on this real ale trail for many years now and yes I've tried literally hundreds and hundreds of different "real" or "craft" ales.

Another good place for local beers is the micro brew Beer House on Ecclesall Road. I think that was also one of the other places I tried Stancill (with 2 "l's" obviously). Again, I wasn't impressed. They also had some beer from Sheffield's "Junction 33" brewery in there at the time - and that was excellent.

I think that's a very odd view to hold, that pubs aren't there to cater for personal taste. That's exactly what they are there for - it's the same with any business that caters for the general public. The idea is to have something for everyone, to have a wide appeal, not to cater for the few. And the best way of doing that, as far as beer is concerned, is to have a wide range of different types and strengths of beer. I don't know if the Horse & Jockey has this? I did ask, but all Lurgh Mor could provide me with was a comment about the mis-spelling of Stancill.

I think you probably need to read my post again. I am not moaning about the Horse & Jockey pub. I've never been in the place, so I know nothing about it! I've even said that I am willing to go and give it a try - I can't be much fairer than that surely? All I've said is that based on 2 or 3 different beers that I've had, so far, from this Stancill brewery, I've not been impressed with their beer. (And if I find the same the next time I drink it, I will deliberately misspell their name forever!).

Others on here claim they've tried them all and not been impressed with any. Which is a tad concerning - because this suggests it's not about personal taste at all, but about quality.

It would be nice though if someone could tell us a bit more about what beers are actually on offer at this pub? Can I get an IPA over 5% here for example?

Edited by DerbyTup

Any body have one of the Pizzas there last night and felt unwell? My wife and I shared a pizza last night which I must admit are excellent but last night we both had to use the toilet later on that night.

I was wondering had anyone else had one last night with the same/similar problem?

The Pub andf Pizzas are great it may just be a one off!