Van broken into early Monday morning 27-06-16

On Monday 27-06-16 at 12:58am my van got broken into. They pulled the side loading door down, causing about £1,000 worth of damage.

This Happened on Bellhagg Rd in Walkey.

This is just a warning to any other tradespeople / van owners, as 4 other vans were done on the same night. It would seem like they are working the area.

If anyone has any info, or cctv in the area it would be appreciated.

Thanks, and i hope that noone else's van gets broken onto.

This was happening in Chesterfield as well last week.

Its a common thing at the moment we've had three done in a few months, van manufacturers need to act to remedy this.

Its a common thing at the moment we've had three done in a few months, van manufacturers need to act to remedy this.

Totally agree, I had a look at mine (vivaro 2011 plate) and on the handle side there is 3 locking anchor points. But on the roller side of the door there is only 1.

No fixing points on the top of the panel either?

Codswallop! Take responsibility yourself.

When it was obvious that burglars were in my neighbourhood I didn't think it the responsibility for whoever built the house to fit extra locks or metal shutters for me. I put the cctv and the signs up and the lighting and avoided being burgled.

Be proactive and fix it yourself.

As for parked vans think of ways to combat the thieves: cameras are cheap, alarms too, signage and parking it in a more sensible place. If it is on your drive then point a camera at it and put a sign on it saying that!

And the Police do have better things to do .......

When it was obvious that burglars were in my neighbourhood I didn't think it the responsibility for whoever built the house to fit extra locks or metal shutters for me. I put the cctv and the signs up and the lighting and avoided being burgled.

As for parked vans think of ways to combat the thieves: cameras are cheap, alarms too, signage and parking it in a more sensible place. If it is on your drive then point a camera at it and put a sign on it saying that!

Thieves have found a weak point in the design of the vehicle and manufacturers should address it at source.

Only warning others that they are in working the area. whats up with that?

Cameras do nothing, they arnt bothered about about been caught on cameras as the police wont do anything with it.

Also on my Rd there isnt any of rd parking, the van was parked outside the house.

And i believe the Police do have a responsibility to sort this kind of thing out and catch the people that a cause all the damage to peoples vans and businesses.

My van was done twice in two nights in two different places. First time didn't get anything second time they got drill set and radio. My vans alarmed and didn't stop them. Police did nothing and now a van vault and 2 sets of slam locks etc and over a £1000 later it's like Fort Knox but over £1000 ain't cheap but you don't see those feature coming standard on vans do you??

Thieves have found a weak point in the design of the vehicle and manufacturers should address it at source.

And if they do, as one posters points out, the cost may well increase by a £1000. That would mean it wouldn't sell as well.

Vans have signs saying no valaeables left over night. I do think high decibel alarms would work. Have you fitted such? The sound of it would alert YOU and you could respond instead of sleeping through it.

I still afirm it's your responsibility. Expecting the cavallry to come and sort it or a manufacturer to lsiten to Joe Bloggs telling them they have a 'design fault' is a bit rich. Why did none of you spot it at the time of purchase? Why did it ever pass the stringent tests inherent in vehicle design?

You are unfortunate but as we all know, for example, when a home is burgled, there is usually room for increased security and vigilance.

Lorries park in the middle of nowhere with an opened rear door to show they are empty. It's effective. It's also common sense to empty the van even if it does mean unloading it each and every day and piling your tools in the hall.

No one has said they have signage saying it's empty.

Obviously, your vans are not siren alarmed otherwise you'd have responded.

You're facilitating an easy break-in.

And if they do, as one posters points out, the cost may well increase by a £1000. That would mean it wouldn't sell as well.

Vans have signs saying no valaeables left over night. I do think high decibel alarms would work. Have you fitted such? The sound of it would alert YOU and you could respond instead of sleeping through it.

I still afirm it's your responsibility. Expecting the cavallry to come and sort it or a manufacturer to lsiten to Joe Bloggs telling them they have a 'design fault' is a bit rich. Why did none of you spot it at the time of purchase? Why did it ever pass the stringent tests inherent in vehicle design?

You are unfortunate but as we all know, for example, when a home is burgled, there is usually room for increased security and vigilance.

Lorries park in the middle of nowhere with an opened rear door to show they are empty. It's effective. It's also common sense to empty the van even if it does mean unloading it each and every day and piling your tools in the hall.

No one has said they have signage saying it's empty.

Obviously, your vans are not siren alarmed otherwise you'd have responded.

You're facilitating an easy break-in.

Nice bit of victim blaming.....

On Monday 27-06-16 at 12:58am my van got broken into. They pulled the side loading door down, causing about £1,000 worth of damage.

This Happened on Bellhagg Rd in Walkey.

This is just a warning to any other tradespeople / van owners, as 4 other vans were done on the same night. It would seem like they are working the area.

If anyone has any info, or cctv in the area it would be appreciated.

Thanks, and i hope that noone else's van gets broken onto.

If you can park van very close to your home invest in a baby monitor ,you will hear thieves very easily

Victim blaming ....... we all tighten up after being victims, adjust our behaviour and thinking. It's advice. There's no blame apportioned. But acceptance and taking responsibility are requirements in life. We all agree that something has to be done now, after the crime. We differ on what that action is. We also differ on how to prevent a repeat ocurrence.

More advice came from rudds in the post above. Excellent idea too.