Post Brexit Racism.

I find the article completely confusing, not that this surprises me. I read it just as Quik has, in which case we should cheer the good sense of South Yorkshire people.

The numbers given by the police don't just show a fall in reported hate crimes in South Yorkshire they show a 56% fall vs the same period last year. That's a huge drop.

I fear we are getting whipped up in a media driven national hysteria and damning Yorkshire folk for crimes they are not committing.

331 reported hate crime incidents this week, compared to a weekly average of 63.

Inside the EU we are obliged to adhere to it's free movement of people diktat and outside we are not. If the government were to agree to any EU deal that retained the free movement of people then they would not remain in government for long... free movement of people has been firmly rejected by the people of this country.

A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-swiss-idUKKCN0ZH486

Switzerland is one of the models some supporters of Britain leaving the European Union have pointed to of a European economy that thrives outside of the EU. But in 1999, to negotiate access to the European single market, it had to agree to bilateral deals that allow free movement of workers from EU countries.

French minister says free movement 'on the table' in Brexit deal

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europe/eu-policy-agenda/brexit/news/76764/french-minister-says-free-movement-table-brexit-deal

331 reported hate crime incidents this week, compared to a weekly average of 63.

Those are not the police figures reported by the Star. Where are they from?

Those are not the police figures reported by the Star. Where are they from?

“Since last Thursday, 331 hate crime incidents have been reported to the national online reporting site True Vision compared to the weekly average of 63 reports,” Sara Thornton, head of the NPCC.

“Since last Thursday, 331 hate crime incidents have been reported to the national online reporting site True Vision compared to the weekly average of 63 reports,” Sara Thornton, head of the NPCC.

So that's national figures on unverified reports on a website vs the actual police figures for South Yorkshire which show a 56% fall. Ok.

So that's national figures on unverified reports on a website vs the actual police figures for South Yorkshire which show a 56% fall. Ok.

National figures vs local figures from what I can tell. The South Yorkshire region may not see much change, but nationally there is according to True Vision.

Time will tell, but to disregard these stats is to ignore a possible problem. It says volumes about those who disregard them.

National figures vs local figures from what I can tell. The South Yorkshire region may not see much change, but nationally there is according to True Vision.

Time will tell, but to disregard these stats is to ignore a possible problem. It says volumes about those who disregard them.

The only verifiable stats we have are a 56% plummet in hate crimes in our county. The inference that those of us who refuse to get caught up in this hysteria are somehow condoning the actual attacks that have occurred is quite insulting.

Some isolated criminal incidents have taken place and hopefully all the perps will be brought to book. There have also been some incidents involving graffiti which seem to have been recorded multiple times and according to at least one police force (Kent I think but could be wrong) they recorded multiple complaints about Nigel Farage as reported 'hate crimes'.

Lets get a grip, condemn the real incidents but also condemn those whipping up hysteria for their own political ends.

The only verifiable stats we have are a 56% plummet in hate crimes in our county. .

Until all the data is collected, you cannot make such an assumption.

However do you really think there has been a huge drop in hate crime given all the reports on all media, not just print and the established media, but all media. The same media that printed and published Gove/Boris's and Farages claims about leaving the EU. The claims that have been removed from their website?

Do you think it's a coincidence the German lady who called LBC radio a few days ago in tears as she was scared to leave the house after having dog faeces thrown at her house. Was she making it up when she told of a friends grand child that had been attacked because they had a foreign grandparent?

What if these claims are wrong? What difference does it matter? What will you lose if they are wrong but people believe them or are more vigilant. What really does it matter? If they are wrong, people are more aware of hate crime. If they are correct, people are more aware of hate crime.

Until all the data is collected, you cannot make such an assumption.

However do you really think there has been a huge drop in hate crime given all the reports on all media, not just print and the established media, but all media. The same media that printed and published Gove/Boris's and Farages claims about leaving the EU. The claims that have been removed from their website?

Do you think it's a coincidence the German lady who called LBC radio a few days ago in tears as she was scared to leave the house after having dog faeces thrown at her house. Was she making it up when she told of a friends grand child that had been attacked because they had a foreign grandparent?

What if these claims are wrong? What difference does it matter? What will you lose if they are wrong but people believe them or are more vigilant. What really does it matter? If they are wrong, people are more aware of hate crime. If they are correct, people are more aware of hate crime.

Just because the number of reported incidents has fallen doesn't mean the problem is not worse. It's a crude statistic. The incidents may be more severe, the fraction of incidents reported may have fallen. We really don't know anything.

On the other hand anecdotal analysis of the media coverage is just about the worst way imaginable to collect objective data on the matter.

What I trust is people I know (including some on this Forum), who have been subject to such abuse recently after years of peace. That makes me believe this is a real problem.

The core of the issue is instances like this both happening more and being more reported upon, since the Leave vote.

They're not really "outright" hate acts, like an abusive leaflet or verbal abuse (or, God forbid, a physical attack). They're a much more covert and "deniable" forms of discrimination, but with a very clear xenophobic component and which hurt the victim just as much.

For sure, instances like this have gone on before, always have. I've had my fair share, and I don't know a single fellow immigrant who has not, at one point or another, here and elsewhere. Much the same as British business people or tourists may have experienced it elsewhere on their travels.

But such instances just about never get reported, whether as hate crimes or otherwise. Let's not make a fuss, just move on (like the young Dutch lady in the article). They're the iceberg, what you hear about in the media currently is the tip.

So with the current media spotlight on the issue, it's bound to be reported by victims more, and reported upon more. And it's an undeniable fact that such incidents are happening in far higher numbers than they were a week ago or so, before the referendum.

Edited by L00b

Lets get a grip, condemn the real incidents but also condemn those whipping up hysteria for their own political ends.

Like all the UKIP posters on Refugees,millions of EU immigrants are after your job,29MILLION on 1/1/2014 from Rumania and Bulgaria,and 80 Million Turks on their way.....would it be appropriate to condemn them for whipping up hysteria for their own political ends?