Sheffield bumble bees dropping like flies?

In the last 2-3 weeks, I have seen half a dozen large fuzzy bumble bees dead upside down in the middle of roads, footpaths, parking lots, and our back garden. They are definitely not honeybees.

I don't remember ever seeing this before. Does this happen every year and I haven't been paying attention? Or is there a new bumble bee toxin or disease?

How very very strange you should mention that. I have just this moment got home from work. On my walk home I saw 5 dead bees and thought to myself that's quite a lot.

maybe theyre just exhausted rather than dead?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.aspx?id=tcm:9-224256

'E's not exhausted'! 'E's passed on! This bee is no more! He has ceased to bee! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-BEE!!

P.S. Good link to the RSP-bee site!

its probably been this crazy weather freezing and raining one minute red hot next :(

Also noticed the same, definitely dead bumble bees on the pavement. A couple were just resting and I moved onto flowers but most are on their backs passed away.

'E's not exhausted'! 'E's passed on! This bee is no more! He has ceased to bee! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-BEE!!

P.S. Good link to the RSP-bee site!

:hihi:

Bee hive yourself! :P

Guest makapaka

It's bad - bees are important and appear to be dying off at a rate of knots

There maybee trouble ahead......

Not seen one this "summer"!

:hihi:

Bee hive yourself! :P

Un-bee-lievable cheek.

The pollination by bees has an estimated value of £200 billion world wide per year to the food crops we eat. Make that 'we depend on.'

There has been bad weather, rapid changes in temperature plus a whole host of other factors but so far science isn't able to explain what is happening to bees. But the effects of a world without them would be catastrophic.

Well done to those of you that 'rescued' a bee today.