Tower, bottom of London Road?

I'm sure the fence round the site says something about the apartments actually aimed at Chinese students, or if not that, one of the news reports about the Chinatown development suggested it. I know one article did say there would be a business incubator aimed at Chinese businesses to help them get a start up

Edited by katkin

Yep, aware it's a two bedroom place and hopefully never suggested otherwise. And I stand by my original claim that these are very luxurious abodes that would be beyond the reach of some people (flatsharers or otherwise) in full time employment.

This isn't to say they are representative of all student accomodation, because clearly they aren't. But there is no doubt that high-end luxury student accomodation is on the increase and caters for a market that almost certainly didn't exist 15-20 years ago.

How would £400/month be beyond the reach of anyone? A 3 bed semi in Walkley is going for £650/month these days, a 1 bed flat in the city centre is minimum £600 and there are precious few that cheap.

That student accommodation is a bit on the pricey side for students, but it's pretty cheap compared to renting non-student places.

They look pleasant, and having a shared games room and gym is nice, but it's hardly unusual. A lot of the student accommodation comes with that sort of facility.

20 years ago my old university (Aston, Birmingham) built a massive new block with en-suite flats and dedicated network access. It's a campus uni, so there was already access to extensive sports facilities, bars, clubs, etc... If I remember correctly they cost about £75/week, which was double the price for the basic rooms, which weren't en-suite and were 35 years old.

---------- Post added 02-08-2016 at 14:26 ----------

If you were prepared to pay £800 a month for the privilege, I imagine you'd get it too. What is your point exactly?

This definitely suggests that a single occupant would be paying for it. Which isn't the case. (Well, it could be, but it would be highly unusual).

Yep, aware it's a two bedroom place and hopefully never suggested otherwise. And I stand by my original claim that these are very luxurious abodes that would be beyond the reach of some people (flatsharers or otherwise) in full time employment.

This isn't to say they are representative of all student accomodation, because clearly they aren't. But there is no doubt that high-end luxury student accomodation is on the increase and caters for a market that almost certainly didn't exist 15-20 years ago.

I don't think that flat is particularly luxurious. It's just modern. Decor looked very different 15-20 years ago.

Like Cyclone said, that £800 is between two people. At £400/m each, it's actually cheaper than The Forge across the road (which you can see is much more dated by the photos I included in my last reply).

I don't think that flat is particularly luxurious. It's just modern. Decor looked very different 15-20 years ago.

Like Cyclone said, that £800 is between two people. At £400/m each, it's actually cheaper than The Forge across the road (which you can see is much more dated by the photos I included in my last reply).

I tried to reply to Cyclone's post via quote but for some reason the format kept getting mangled.

On the subject of affordability: I can only speak from my own experience and that of people I know. A couple of my good friends earning sub 20K have a ceiling level of around £300-350 a month for rent.

On the subject of standards: When I was at University in Sheffield ( 1994-1998 ) there was nothing comparable to the options available now. Most people I know lived in shabby shared houses or halls of residence and considered anything over £40 a week for accommodation to be pushing it. Even the more expensive options of, say, £50 a week, were shared rooms in fairly awful houses in the S11 area. These were the pinnacle of student lets. I realise a like for like comparison on rental prices is a little pointless given the time elapsed, but there was certainly nothing approaching a well-appointed 'designer' flat with mod cons.

More power to anyone who can afford somewhere this nice. My original post was merely an observation that standards have increased considerably in the last few years. Out of interest, does anyone disagree with this view: that the best student accommodation on offer in Sheffield now is more luxurious and better appointed than the best that was on offer 10-20 years ago?

Edited by CockneyMafia

i would assume that the options in Sheffield for accommodation would be quite megre.

Is that halfway between 'mega' and 'meager'?

More power to anyone who can afford somewhere this nice. My original post was merely an observation that standards have increased considerably in the last few years. Out of interest, does anyone disagree with this view: that the best student accommodation on offer in Sheffield now is more luxurious and better appointed than the best that was on offer 10-20 years ago?

I agree that there are better options available today compared to 20 years ago, and that they do cost somewhat more.

The cheaper options are also still available (at least the private house shares).

I agree that there are better options available today compared to 20 years ago, and that they do cost somewhat more.

The cheaper options are also still available (at least the private house shares).

On the way to Sheffield FC last night, I had an idle scroll through student accommodation in other cities. From a cursory scan, it seems Sheffield is still lagging behind other major metropolitan hubs in terms of ultra high-end student space. Take this in Leeds for example.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/property-38398833.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/property-60110528.html

And in Manchester, properties coming in at over £1000 per person per month (!?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/property-58335317.html

It's a different world to the woodchip one I knew all those years ago....