Tower, bottom of London Road?

Maybe one has a Chinese tower- and then, a few minutes later, feels like having another one...

What is a Chinese tower? Sorry if I'm thick :)

What you can see now are the lift shafts. They're always built first, I don't know why.

It's a big development built with Chinese money for Chinese people. How they enforce that in this age of racial equality I have no idea.

Nothing is being enforced.

You've invented that part.

Edited by SnakeSpew

I have been on the Yellow Crane tower in Wuhan, absolutely stunning.

Me too, 15 years ago :)

Ah, so that’s what it is.

Student accommodation is getting ridiculously opulent. What happened to all those damp shared houses with peeling woodchip wallpaper? They put hairs on your chest. And bronchitis.

Student accommodation is getting ridiculously opulent. What happened to all those damp shared houses with peeling woodchip wallpaper? They put hairs on your chest. And bronchitis.

Those days are disappearing of the rat infested bedsit, If your going to send you son or daughter from places like china, you only want the best accommodation, some are paying a years rent in advance.

Those days are disappearing of the rat infested bedsit, If your going to send you son or daughter from places like china, you only want the best accommodation, some are paying a years rent in advance.

True. Not exactly character building though, is it?

See below :)

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/student-to-get-valuable-life-experience-from-moving-to-purpose-built-luxury-apartment-20150817101164

Ridiculously opulent... Really?

We aren't all as lucky to have had free tuition, as was obviously the case in your day. With £40K+ of debt for 3 years of recycled PowerPoint slides, I'd expect more than a damp house with peeling wallpaper, too.

Now that people can expect to leave uni with about £50k debt there is little incentive to be frugal with accommodation costs, it's all play money now. I do worry that high cost student accommodation is just storing up debt problems for the future.

Ridiculously opulent... Really?

Yes. I'm regularly on Rightmove and some of the new high-end student properties match, and in some cases beat, anything marketed to young professionals.

See here: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-59358692.html

We aren't all as lucky to have had free tuition, as was obviously the case in your day.

What is this presumption based on? And what relevance does it have to the quality and cost of expensive student flats?

With £40K+ of debt for 3 years of recycled PowerPoint slides, I'd expect more than a damp house with peeling wallpaper, too.

If you were prepared to pay £800 a month for the privilege, I imagine you'd get it too. What is your point exactly?

If you were prepared to pay £800 a month for the privilege, I imagine you'd get it too. What is your point exactly?

What is this presumption based on? And what relevance does it have to the quality and cost of expensive student flats?

The relevance is that you are quite obviously out of touch in regards to this subject.

I've just finished my postgraduate degree, and I've never met any undergraduates or even postgraduates who paid £800/m for student accommodation. You think the regular person can/would pay that? The maximum maintenance grant from Student Finance is £3,387 a year...

The average cost for student accommodation is £90-£110/w, and they are in no way "opulent".