Park Gardner's Club closed.

How long has the former Park Gardner's club been closed, just been past and noticed it is all boarded up.

4 years I think, these places are dying, they wont move with the times, and the customers also die off

4 years I think, these places are dying, they wont move with the times, and the customers also die off

Not all though, The Arundel Ex-servicemens club on City road is certainly still bucking the trend, free entertainment most nights, just shy of 1 million in the bank, own the land, bricks and mortar, still closing the bar early, and closes for 3pm on lunchtime sessions, no silly late night extentions, and still some of the cheapest ale in south yorkshire, lol

It was open recently but called Park Acadamey club or something like that.

How long has the former Park Gardner's club been closed, just been past and noticed it is all boarded up.

How many versions have there been of the 'Park Gardener's Club' ? Excepting the original in the South Street area and around 1964-65 when they re-located to the Cricket Inn Road area in front of the Hyde Park flats. The photos I see of Park Sports Bar ?? don't look mid-'60s to me.

It closed about a year or 2 ago and was renamed the Park Sports Bar, this has now been closed for about 4-5 months and is soon to be demolished to make way for more flats.

It closed about a year or 2 ago and was renamed the Park Sports Bar, this has now been closed for about 4-5 months and is soon to be demolished to make way for more flats.

And its not been up that long relatively speaking, only when Hyde Park was redeveloped.

As for more flats, where is the demand coming from, i thought we already had a glut of newly built flats. I also noticed Redvers House is being turned into managed apartments.

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 10:41 ----------

Not all though, The Arundel Ex-servicemens club on City road is certainly still bucking the trend, free entertainment most nights, just shy of 1 million in the bank, own the land, bricks and mortar, still closing the bar early, and closes for 3pm on lunchtime sessions, no silly late night extentions, and still some of the cheapest ale in south yorkshire, lol

Glad its doing well but personally i would rather drink just about anywhere else.

And its not been up that long relatively speaking, only when Hyde Park was redeveloped.

As for more flats, where is the demand coming from, i thought we already had a glut of newly built flats. I also noticed Redvers House is being turned into managed apartments.

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 10:41 ----------

Glad its doing well but personally i would rather drink just about anywhere else.

Tell us why.

Tell us why.

It's just the general aura of working mens clubs, from the "greeting" you get as a non member from the commitee man on the door to the looks you get when you are not a regular. Plus don't get me started on bingo.

Samssong hoping for a reply from Blackydog along the lines of "the Arundel club is full of scum bags", there. Hard luck, chap.

Samssong hoping for a reply from Blackydog along the lines of "the Arundel club is full of scum bags", there. Hard luck, chap.

Plus it's full of scumbags :hihi:

Sorry couldn't resist.

I also suspected it was a "fishing" post from samssong, but i answered honestly anyway.

Edited by blackydog

Ha! I knew what he was angling for. Cue a rant now about proper Sheffielders etc.....