Support Worker or Personal assistant ?

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between a Support Worker or a Personal assistant.

I'm specifically wanting an explanation to working with Adults with Learning Disabilities.

Are there different qualifications required ? Do you have to be registered with the Council to work independently as a Personal assistant ?

I imagine most support workers are employed by Care providers on behalf of the council, where as Personal Assistants are self-employed ?

Looking forward to your thoughts and knowledge on the subject.

Hi There

A Personal Assistant or PA is someone you choose and employ to provide the support you need, in the way that suits you best. This may include cooking, cleaning, help with personal care such as washing and dressing, and other things such as getting out and about in your community. Your personal assistant can be paid through direct payments or a personal budget. Sometimes people refer to PAs as Support Workers but maybe Support workers are perhaps someone allocated to you by a care agency, rather tha someone you have picked. For people in employment who have someone to help them in employment can be referred to as a Support Worker. Disabled people prefer the term Personal Assistant.

Good luck

and hey - if you are thinking of a career in care please have a look at the Skills for Care website http://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/Home.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwncO7BRC06snzrdSJyKEBEiQAsUaRjJXtBifiBBVTRSupPTAoVd3xyAJFyTvM7G8jRVqPJkkaAoGP8P8HAQ