Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hi, thanks Greybeard and Trever, those photos of the cottages brought back a lot of memories.

anybody on the thread remember philip kruger and his family who lived in the wansfell/skelwith area?

i was friends with him in the early sixties,would have been 5 or 6 years old,and his dad had a motorbike and sidecar.

Hi Varna, I knew someone called Kath Kruger, she was a little older than me, I'm presuming Kath was his daughter or some relation.

Hi, I lived on Earl Marshal Road from 1962-1981 and went to Owler Lane, Grimethorpe Juniors, Whiteways Middle (part of the 1st intake when it opened – ended up being a 2nd year twice, once at Grimethorpe and the other at Whiteways) and Earl Marshal Comprehensive. My parents (who still live there) picked a sweet location in the sense that all my brothers and I needed to do was to "fall out of bed" to get to Owler Lane and Earl Marshal, just walk down the road to get to Grimesthorpe and then up the road and onto Whiteways Road (or cut over the back wall and over the field that was between Earl Marshal and Whiteways Road (now filled with houses on Whiteways Grove).

Thinking back, I remember quite a bit of greenery as you had the allotments where Earl Marshal Youth Club/Owler Brook Nursery used to be and Earl Marshal School (the section built in the 70s with the sports track ) used to be, the Osgathorpe/Earl Marshal park at the top end of Earl Marshal and whatever that piece of land was between the houses down at the bottom end of Earl Marshal (okay, that was’nt so green, more like a disused quarry :D ).

Hi Varna, I knew someone called Kath Kruger, she was a little older than me, I'm presuming Kath was his daughter or some relation.

hi lolalola,know anything about what happened to the family?

Varna, I'll ask my dad to see if he knows anything about what happened to them and al let you know.

I remember Kath Kruger, she lived on Rothey Road just down from Teds Top Shop.

I remember the little lane with the dyke but it was the road to the right that I was trying to think of. Is that where the scissor factory was? We used to go down the little lane all the time to get to Upwell St.

Trevor Ithink i can recall a roadsign on the one way lane from Upwell st to Wincobank lane saying Winco lane, Arthur

What was that pub called at the bottom of Jenkin? St, my mate Michael Lee used to live there and the pub was run by his parents, we both went to Oakwood School, I have this bizzare recollection that he became a wrestler?

the Sun maybe Arthur.

Asked dad about the Kruger's, my dad said he knew a brother called Stuart. I think that was Phillip's and Kath's brother. My dad doesn't remember the dad but remember's her mum who I think still lives on Rothay Road. I believe Kath lives over Wincobank somewhere.

What was that pub called at the bottom of Jenkin? St, my mate Michael Lee used to live there and the pub was run by his parents, we both went to Oakwood School, I have this bizzare recollection that he became a wrestler?

It's either the Rising Sun which is before the lights at the junction with Holywell Road or it could be the right at the bottom past Brightside school which was either the Black Swan or the White Swan. I'm sure it was the Black Swan though.

Hello and just found you lot.The pub at the bottom of Jenkin Rd was the White Swan. My late grandma lived a few doors above it in the early to mid 1900s. I grew up on Birdwell Rd and remember the Krugers on Rothay Rd. Not certain but I think a son was called Steven. The lane to the right of the Bowling Green was Chambers Lane and the scissors made at the Homeric. As a kid, I had dozens of one bladed scissors.