Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

we moved to Norwood, my father used to look after the Hallcar Tavern when the landlord and landlady were on holiday.

Welcome martS5, I lived behind the Forum before getting married and moving to Grimey for a while, we then got a house just down from the Hallcar, so that was my local and where I parked my motorbike & sidecar.

I would have known your dad as I went in the H/C nearly every night, depending on what shift I was on.

The landlord and landlady was Tom and Edna Pogmore,they took the Alexandra Hotel at Parkgate after the Hallcar,my dad was called Reg,

Can anyone remember Mrs Taffinder who lived in the big houses next to Smith Field on Grimesthorpe road,she worked at Sutherland Road baths as an attendant,she had a blonde beehive style hair do

A lot on here remember the taffinders, in fact stephen taffinder turned up at the reunion last friday.

Hi martS5 :wave:

Welcome to the thread.

I see you mention the Morleys

I have recently had contact from a Karen Vikki Morley

but unfortunately cannot put a face to the name

would she be one of the Morleys you remember?

hi nettie the wards were,carol,philip,glynn.think glynn joined the police or one of the services.She x

No Linda Ward lived on Cyclops st, this is another family no relation to them,!!

thanks minniej.

hi nettie the wards were,carol,philip,glynn.think glynn joined the police or one of the services.She x

Carol has now passed away, yes there is Philip, Glynn and Anita, Glynn drives taxi for city, but you are right he did join police when he left school, :|

A visit to the Pictures -final bit (part 3)

On the screen a man in a rather dated suit and TV commercial smile was welcoming us to the cinema and introducing himself as Uncle Max. It was hard to tell since the slight lull in noise had expired as the old hands recognised this as preamble and so to be ignored.

“’E looks a right looney.”

“Look who’s talkin’”

“What’s he on about?”

“How should I know?”

Next he appeared to be inviting us to sing some kind of song and a “magic” ball danced along a huge placard showing the words to help us to keep time. The pandemonium increased. To begin with, the volume of the sound was turned up to make up for the lack of audience participation. Also, the young viewers had automatically adjusted the volume of their discussions and arguments to compensate.

“We come along on Saturday morning.

“Greeting everybody with a smile..

The salesman’s smile widened hideously like a dental blitzkrieg.

“We come along on Saturday morning,

Knowing it’s well worth while."

A few members of the audience had joined in either from enthusiasm or, more likely, as a form of sarcasm.

“As members of the BG club we all intend to be

Good citizens when we grow up and Champions of the Free.”

This took some working out.

“What’s the Beejee Club?”

“It’s the boys and girls club idiot.”

“You better leave then, it doesn’t mention dogs.”

Greeting everybody with a smile Smile SMILE!"

A full frontal shot of the presenter’s tombstone teeth loomed menacingly over the rabble.

“Greeting everybody with a smile.”

After this a youngish man stepped up onto the stage and was greeted by spontaneous cheers and cries of “hush” and “shush” from those in the know. The boys watched fascinated as he introduced this week’s live group. They were an unheard of quartet but the excitement matched the atmosphere at a football cup-tie. Then the hall erupted with noise as the screen vanished upwards revealing four dazzling musicians in red jackets and white shirts who darted around the stage causing flashes of light as their guitars, cymbals and coat buttons reflected the stage lights. The whole emporium was entranced. Here was a real live group looking every bit as professional as the the ones of legend: the Beatles or Gerry and the Pacemakers. To the hypnotised boys they were the best in the world at that moment in time.

“Poison I-vy

You can see but you better not touch.”

Thunderous applause greeted the first song and they launched quickly into another.

“All the best things in life are free

You can tell it to the birds and bees

I want Mo---ney”

The four boys were mesmerised and could only look in wonder at each other. Only after the group had taken its bow and the curtain was descending did they comment.

“Not bad. Not threebad.”

“Immaculate,” enthused Mal.

“Yeh. I reckon they’re as good as ‘Beatles.”

“Nah,” said Tom wisely, “but they were pretty good.”

“I’m comin’ next week for sure.”

“Yeh, me an’ all.”

Then followed a series of cartoons and serials. There were also Laurel and Hardy shorts which were quite popular and the noise would die down to a level where, with the aid of skilful lip-reading, you could follow the plot. When an unpopular serial came on the noise level rose and with it the missile launch programme. Ice cream tubs, lolly sticks, balls of silver paper, rolled up bus tickets flew through the air in all directions at friend and foe alike. Those few who were still facing the screen were soon forced to give up any attempt to follow the story –a skinny female dangling from a skyscraper window by a rapidly fraying rope –as the row increased and boys and girls dashed around changing seats, visiting friends, playing tag or hiding from each other. Girls were asked out by confident boys –and refused by the scornful lasses. One or two minor scuffles broke out resulting from the missile campaign.

The boys stuck it out and, sure enough, a decent cartoon appeared, a “Tom and Jerry” and the chaos subsided as the audience were absorbed once again. After that the cinema lights came on gradually and the National Anthem began to play over the loudspeakers. Aisles filled with a press of youngsters heading for the exits kicking their way through crisp packets and ice-cream cartons.

“Comin’ next week then?”

“Yeh, I reckon it’s worth it just to see the group.”

“Yeh. I’m comin’.”

Thanks to Faith and Ralph for their kind words. Keith

Edited by Hawksheadboy

A visit to the Pictures -final bit

On the screen a man in a rather dated suit and TV commercial smile was welcoming us to the cinema and introducing himself as Uncle Max. It was hard to tell since the slight lull in noise had expired as the old hands recognised this as preamble and so to be ignored.

“’E looks a right looney.”

“Look who’s talkin’”

“What’s he on about?”

“How should I know?”

Next he appeared to be inviting us to sing some kind of song and a “magic” ball danced along a huge placard showing the words to help us to keep time. The pandemonium increased. To begin with, the volume of the sound was turned up to make up for the lack of audience participation. Also, the young viewers had automatically adjusted the volume of their discussions and arguments to compensate.

“We come along on Saturday morning.

“Greeting everybody with a smile..

The salesman’s smile widened hideously like a dental blitzkrieg.

Knowing it’s well worth while."

A few members of the audience had joined in either from enthusiasm or, more likely, as a form of sarcasm.

“As members of the BG club we all intend to be

Good citizens when we grow up and Champions of the Free.”

This took some working out.

“What’s the Beejee Club?”

“It’s the boys and girls club idiot.”

“You better leave then, it doesn’t mention dogs.”

Greeting everybody with a smile Smile SMILE!"

A full frontal shot of the presenter’s tombstone teeth loomed menacingly over the rabble.

“Greeting everybody with a smile.”

After this a youngish man stepped up onto the stage and was greeted by spontaneous cheers and cries of “hush” and “shush” from those in the know. The boys watched fascinated as he introduced this week’s live group. They were an unheard of quartet but the excitement matched the atmosphere at a football cup-tie. Then the hall erupted with noise as the screen vanished upwards revealing four dazzling musicians in red jackets and white shirts who darted around the stage causing flashes of light as their guitars, cymbals and coat buttons reflected the stage lights. The whole emporium was entranced. Here was a real live group looking every bit as professional as the the ones of legend: the Beatles or Gerry and the Pacemakers. To the hypnotised boys they were the best in the world at that moment in time.

“Poison I-vy

You can see but you better not touch.”

Thunderous applause greeted the first song and they launched quickly into another.

“All the best things in life are free

You can tell it to the birds and bees

I want Mo---ney”

The four boys were mesmerised and could only look in wonder at each other. Only after the group had taken its bow and the curtain was descending did they comment.

“Not bad. Not threebad.”

“Immaculate,” enthused Mal.

“Yeh. I reckon they’re as good as ‘Beatles.”

“Nah,” said Tom wisely, “but they were pretty good.”

“I’m comin’ next week for sure.”

“Yeh, me an’ all.”

Then followed a series of cartoons and serials. There were also Laurel and Hardy shorts which were quite popular and the noise would die down to a level where, with the aid of skilful lip-reading, you could follow the plot. When an unpopular serial came on the noise level rose and with it the missile launch programme. Ice cream tubs, lolly sticks, balls of silver paper, rolled up bus tickets flew through the air in all directions at friend and foe alike. Those few who were still facing the screen were soon forced to give up any attempt to follow the story –a skinny female dangling from a skyscraper window by a rapidly fraying rope –as the row increased and boys and girls dashed around changing seats, visiting friends, playing tag or hiding from each other. Girls were asked out by confident boys –and refused by the scornful lasses. One or two minor scuffles broke out resulting from the missile campaign.

The boys stuck it out and, sure enough, a decent cartoon appeared, a “Tom and Jerry” and the chaos subsided as the audience were absorbed once again. After that the cinema lights came on gradually and the National Anthem began to play over the loudspeakers. Aisles filled with a press of youngsters heading for the exits kicking their way through crisp packets and ice-cream cartons.

“Comin’ next week then?”

“Yeh, I reckon it’s worth it just to see the group.”

“Yeh. I’m comin’”

Thanks to Faith and Ralph for their kind words. Keith

Hi Keith :wave:

That was brilliant. What a great description of the Reform Chapel.

I have only just realised that I hadnt read the 2nd bit because it was posted on the night of the reunion. So I have just read parts 2 and 3 together. Great memories of the life of a young lad in Grimesthorpe.

I noticed that you said final bit.

I hope that doesnt mean final posting from you, because someone with a memory like yours must have loads more tales to tell.

I look forward to reading them :thumbsup:

Hi Nettie,

I wrote about 6 stories in 1970 and forgot about them. When I read them now there's lots of bits I don't remember now. I type slowly but hope to keep posting. Incidentally "Bantambuddy" is in some of them,

Keith

The yard below it was Crappers, my uncle jack, Then ? and then Gollands, I will be awake now all night thinking of ? will ring our Roy tmrw he will know:confused:

Might you be one of the 'Hanwells'? If I am putting this together correctly your Uncle Jack would have been the father of Peter and Doug, 'our Roy' would be your brother with a younger brother called Donald. I knew the 'Gollands', Brian and his brother Derek, who was physically handicapped. I have mentioned some of these things before on earlier posts, I knew Derek Higginbottom(who lived on the hill) and Roy Harris(who lived opposite from the Gollands), I met Derek and Roy overseas also, when we were all doing our National Service. The MacAllans have been mentioned before, would this be the same family connection to Bernard MacAllan and did Bernard emigrate(as was my understanding)?

Hi Nettie,

I wrote about 6 stories in 1970 and forgot about them. When I read them now there's lots of bits I don't remember now. I type slowly but hope to keep posting. Incidentally "Bantambuddy" is in some of them,

Keith

Hi Hawksheadboy :wave:

That is great news.

It doesnt matter how slowly you type as long

as you keep on posting :thumbsup:

If Banatambuddy is in some of them

well that should be interesting :hihi::hihi:

Im new to the site-it really has jogged my memory. I lived on the corner of Rothay road and Birdwell rd.Anyone remember the green grocers--Crookes I think--also Jean Smailles corner shop--buscuits out of big boxes like a pick and mix!.Anyone out there remember the Graingers , Wildgooses, Farmers.All Birdwell and Rothay. I was there from 1955 til 1963-remember the gales and a lorry from Jimmy Childs knocking down a gas lamp outside my bedroom window. I was a train bearer for the May queen with a girl called Denise-a boy called Stephen was the cushion bearer. I went to the Methodist chapel-was it called Wesley Hall? Anyone share these memories or knows of these people?

Hi KayLis, I remember Janice Grainger very well and the Wildgoose girls who lived in the next yard to us on Rothay Road. What year were you a train bearer?

Might you be one of the 'Hanwells'? If I am putting this together correctly your Uncle Jack would have been the father of Peter and Doug, 'our Roy' would be your brother with a younger brother called Donald. I knew the 'Gollands', Brian and his brother Derek, who was physically handicapped. I have mentioned some of these things before on earlier posts, I knew Derek Higginbottom(who lived on the hill) and Roy Harris(who lived opposite from the Gollands), I met Derek and Roy overseas also, when we were all doing our National Service. The MacAllans have been mentioned before, would this be the same family connection to Bernard MacAllan and did Bernard emigrate(as was my understanding)?

Yes thats right Roy & Don are nmy older brothers I have a sister as well Marie,you are correct about everything you have posted, what is your name then I can tell Roy when I see him, just one thing though I dont think Macallens ever emigrated, I sometimes see Keith their oldest son, will ask him next time I see him:thumbsup: