Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hello I'm geotom, this is my first time on Sheffield Forum, and have found it quite interesting reading about old Grimesthorpe and quite a few of the people mentioned I can Remember. I've lived in Grimesthorpe all my life (used to live on Southwell rd) I went to Owler Lane Infants, Grimesthorpe Junior, and Owler Lane High School. I left Owler Lane High Aug 1966.

Can any one remember Mr Craddock ?. I spoke to him in town a couple of years ago, he's into horse riding, can't think what age he must be now?, but he looked well.

Hi Geo, you've probably read but we lived on Wansfell, you might know my dad John Holbrook. He went the first 2 schools that you did around that time.

Hi cat, I was talking to my dad about the Graham Lee you were referring to earlier on. He says he died quite a long time ago now when he was only in his thirties. I think it was a heart attack. Didn't he used to have the newsagents at the bottom of Birdwell when it very first became one.

Going back to the boys brigade, we used to go to the same camp in the 1970's. I used to go because the whole family went because they help ran it. I don't think Mr.Crossey was impressed with the idea of a girl at a boys brigade camp but I was only about 7. I used to get shouted at for climbing up the tents and sliding down the other side.

Hello I'm geotom, this is my first time on Sheffield Forum, and have found it quite interesting reading about old Grimesthorpe and quite a few of the people mentioned I can Remember. I've lived in Grimesthorpe all my life (used to live on Southwell rd) I went to Owler Lane Infants, Grimesthorpe Junior, and Owler Lane High School. I left Owler Lane High Aug 1966.

Can any one remember Mr Craddock ?. I spoke to him in town a couple of years ago, he's into horse riding, can't think what age he must be now?, but he looked well.

Hello Geo This is my first time on forum but I remember Mr Craddock, I was in his class in my last year at Owler Lane which would have been in '64 so he must be some age now.

Hiya Lola, I was a good friend of your fathers at one point. I worked at the Ball Inn for about 16 and a half years for quite a few landlords. Your father used to swear at me every time he came in, quite an unruly chap and I can't imagine why he would want to swear at a nice chap like me because I wouldn't say anything to him to make him swear,ha ha ha.Had some good laughs, luv him to bits, nice to talk to you, remember me to him, bye for now

Hello Dors. As children, my wife Pauline and her sister Sandra used to stay with their Grandma at 45 Botham St, most weekends in the mid fifties. Grandma's name was Annie Brailsford. How is life in Australia?

Hi Cat31. I don't remember the name Brailsford. I will have to ask a friend of mine that I still keep in touch with, she might know as she lived further up Botham St. than I did.

Life in the land of Aus is pretty good.We live close to the ocean (which I love) and I like to go to the beach at least once a week even if it's only to have a look. Wollongong is smaller than Sheffield but still a steel city. My husband didn't want to work in the steel industry when we came here but inevitably ended up there because of his background. The steel works is still a big business here and unlike Sheffield at the moment it's booming. Doesn't employ as many as it used to though due to automation.

In Australia people spend more time outside than in, probably due to the weather. I like that very much. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if we had stayed in the UK.

Oh wow, I remember Mr. Crossey and Mr.Minnis. We used to go camping to Skegness with the boys brigade, my mum used to help run it. Mrs. Crossey used to do Brownies and Girl Guides. Mr.Crossey died quite a few years ago, he wasn't that old really. Mr.Minnis has also died but he was older. Do you remember the band marching up to Firth Park when they had a parade on for Mayday.

Hi Lolola,

I went to school at Grimesthorpe in the fifties with a Leslie Minnis. Do you know if he was related to the Mr. Minnis that you mention.

Dors.

Hi Shelby46,

I left Earl Marshal in 1981 as I stayed on into the 6th form.

I left in 76 but we might have had some of the same teachers - unless they left with great relief after teaching me! :hihi:

Hi Lolola,

I went to school at Grimesthorpe in the fifties with a Leslie Minnis. Do you know if he was related to the Mr. Minnis that you mention.

Dors.

Hi Dors, yes he was related, it was his son. I remember he used to go to the boys brigade camps aswell, he used to do alot of the cooking.

Hi Terry, I told my dad what you said and he says hi to you and hopes you're well. He also asked how your brother was, I believe he went to school with him. Do you still live in the area?

Hi Geotom, I left you a message on Owler Lane thread, or rather my dad did.

Hi Lolola,

Dors.

Hi Lolola,

Fancy that. You seem to know everyone. Do you know a John Wilson that came from around the Skelwith Rd or Wansfell Rd area. I used to be in touch with him but lost contact.Some other names I went to school with are Janice Peacock and Constance Sigsworth. Anyone know what happened to them?

Hi Terry, I told my dad what you said and he says hi to you and hopes you're well. He also asked how your brother was, I believe he went to school with him. Do you still live in the area?

Hi Lola I still live in Grimesthorpe on Woodspring Court which is just below Margate Drive up Grimesthorpe rd.

My brother Dave now lives in Canada, Barrie Ontario, he's been there for the last 16 - 17 years. By the way, he'll have only mentioned going to school with my brother because he's a year younger than me. :hihi: