Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hi Cat, couldn't remember if it was white or black swan. I grew up on Wansfell. There was a Steven Kruger, I think my dad knew him, my dad's John Holbrook.

Hello Lola. I remember the name but can't put a face to it. Where abouts did you live? I new Paul Buckley, John Dennet, Alan Green who all lived in the yard next to the Church Hall. I'm new to this Sheffield Forum, do we have to keep our names secret or can I come out of the closet so to speak? Now here's something else to talk about, when I was a kid living in Grimesthorpe, my old mam was always clipping my ear'ole for calling the outside toilet, the Closet.

Hi Cat, I'm fairly new to this myself and not sure about giving out names. I tried to look on the site rules but couldn't find anything. I remember Mr.Buckley, he was the old man who lived opposite us in the 1st house in that yard. I know the name Dennet and can vaguely remember them. We lived bang opposite them in the 1st house on the other side. I still call it the closet aswell.

does anybody on here remember trevor stephens who used to live on hunsley street

Hello again lola. I lived next door to the fruit and veg shop on the corner of Rothay and Birdwell. I live at Todwick now, its much posher. There was another family called Green who lived on the opposite side to you but nearer to Birdwell. They had a sheepdog and Yes, it was called SHEP. the most lovable, obedient dog I've ever come across. Does your Dad ever go in the Sheffield Arms?

Hello Anlaby. What years are we talking about. A schoolfriend of mine in the fifties lived there called Peter Barlow. I think he and family emigrated to Australia.

Hi Cat, couldn't remember if it was white or black swan. I grew up on Wansfell. There was a Steven Kruger, I think my dad knew him, my dad's John Holbrook.

I remember a Louise Holbrook she had a brother with blond hair I think (can't remember his name)

Hi ya Lola. I lived on Upwell St, from the middle 50s to around 83 so a few of the names i can remember.I still live in the area as now.I seem to think i know your dad, John. On the corner of Birdwell Rd and Upwell St,used to be a chemists and further down towards the lights there was a small shop run by two old spinsters that sold shoe leather,tacks,& vinegar from the barrel.

Hi Trevor, yep thats me - my brother is Leigh and he did have blonde hair yes.

Gritman I think the shop might be Lissimans. I don't know if thats how you spell it but thats how it was pronounced. It was just before after the corner shop a few doors down. They had 2 sides to the shop when I was little. One sold hardware things and the other sold wool, buttons and ribbons and things. I just remember it being ran by 2 old ladies, I'm sure its the one.

Cat my dad did drink in Sheffield Arms yes. Not recently though, he's been in Derbyshire for about 15yrs now.

Hi, I lived on Earl Marshal Road from 1962-1981 and went to Owler Lane, Grimethorpe Juniors, Whiteways Middle (part of the 1st intake when it opened – ended up being a 2nd year twice, once at Grimethorpe and the other at Whiteways) and Earl Marshal Comprehensive. My parents (who still live there) picked a sweet location in the sense that all my brothers and I needed to do was to "fall out of bed" to get to Owler Lane and Earl Marshal, just walk down the road to get to Grimesthorpe and then up the road and onto Whiteways Road (or cut over the back wall and over the field that was between Earl Marshal and Whiteways Road (now filled with houses on Whiteways Grove).

Thinking back, I remember quite a bit of greenery as you had the allotments where Earl Marshal Youth Club/Owler Brook Nursery used to be and Earl Marshal School (the section built in the 70s with the sports track ) used to be, the Osgathorpe/Earl Marshal park at the top end of Earl Marshal and whatever that piece of land was between the houses down at the bottom end of Earl Marshal (okay, that was’nt so green, more like a disused quarry :D ).

Hi Biscuit,

What year did you leave Earl Marshal Comp? I was there too but came from All Saints Juniors.

Hello Lola, I see you've been outed so I had better come too. I'm Ralph Aspinall and started my drinking career at the Arms, aged about 15. We used to take an empty Dandelion And Burdoch bottle to the off sales and ask for a pint of bitter for my Dad....he didn't drink. The landlord at the time would put a paper, seal over the screw stopper.

Where does your Dad live now?

Hello Gritman. Do you remember a shop next door to the Arms? My mother always called it the Tin Shop. I think it sold pots, pans and hardwhere.