Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

My grandma and grandad lived on Wincobank Lane. My brother and I spent a lot of time there in the 50s when we were children. Grandma used to take in lodgers, mostly actors who were at the Little Empire. Grandma and Gdad's name was Annie and John Wood, there was also a Mr and Mrs Timmins in their yard. My mum was Phyllis Wood and she lived there until she got married to my dad, Roy Highfield, who lived on Owler Lane.

I knew a Debbie Wood who lived on Wincobank Lane. My sister used to knock about with her. I also knew a Timmins but they lived on Skelwith road.

i remember those second hand shops at grimesthorpe..i once bought this state of the art fishing reel from there ....first time i used it at damflask and caught this fish all it did when i turned it was go click click click and wouldnt reel it in...

Hi Trevor, The Timmins who lived on Skelwith was the son, his name is John and his wife is Val and I think they,ve got 1 son but can't remember his name, where did you live Trevor?

Yes, thats right, the Timmins on Wincobank Lane had a son, John and a daughter, but I can't remember her name. Its his parents I remember as they were friends of my grandma and grandad, but they were quite old when I was a little girl in the 1950s. There was also a church on Wincobank Lane, just below where gran lived and she used to take me to the shows they put on there. I remember seeing women doing the can can. I had never seen anything like that before!!

Towards the bottom of Wincobank Lane there was a little road with really old cottages and a shop. I think that has all gone now. Does anyone remember these cottaes?

i remember the bowes family the chippy and gledhalls shop the brick yard next to the who can tell played there for hours because i was told not to go near it dennis collins on the bottom road near grimesthorpe road school we used to buy american comics and toy cars to race in the school yard from him hillfooot dairy i think thats what they called it used to take a bowl to fetch ice cream from there dr ledy near the sheffield arms pub the allotments on grimesthorpe rd fetch fresh mint on sunday for the dinner and rubarb and a bag with some suger to make it edible so many good memories for me i had a very happy childhood there i talk to my dad often about the area he has a fantastic memory for anything about the area if anyone got any questions i will ask him for you
Hi David , ask your dad if he remembers the Lowes and Bingleys, lived opposite Gleadhalls shop, and the narrow lane that run up to a terrace of houses just below. Arthur.

lolalola, my mother took bets to a bloke at Grimesthorpe, it was down a back St, opposite Hunsley St, that could have been either your Grandfather or Johnnie Butler, he used to sit outside the front of his house.
SKIPPY I knew a john butler a very tall lad married a ginger haired girl they kept a fruit shop at the end of Earldom st where Ilived from 1933 to 1947 do you think it would be same lad Arthur.

Can't picture a little lane Arthur. Was the big wall right up at the top of Botham St. on the other side of Grimesthorpe Rd? I think they used to call that bit Botham St. North.

Bye Dors.

Hi Dors you mentioned Jack the butchers, an old friend of mine Billy Limb kept that shop, and had a lad worked for him called Jack , did he take over from Billy. Arthur.

Thanks Trever, we used to call it stony hill.

We used to live at the top of it on Earl Marshall Rd there used to be a Ropers garage across from us and I went to Grimesthorpe School, then on to Earl Marshal School.

flashbang,when did you live there?

i used to live on the same road in the early sixties.

Hi varna, we lived at 388 Earlmarshall Rd, I had a friend called Linda Taylor

that lived next door to us, do you know her? We lived there 1n the 60s.

doesnt anybody remember a girl called donny greaves who lived at the pub opposite the victory picture palace on upwell street

Hi varna, we lived at 388 Earlmarshall Rd, I had a friend called Linda Taylor

that lived next door to us, do you know her? We lived there 1n the 60s.

no, but funnily enough, i used to live at 388, its the second last before the empty land isn't it?

I dont believe it we moved out I think in 1969 -1970 can't quite remember.

Linda lives next door 390 with her mother Margaret.