Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Yes, Mary still alive and well and living junction of Ellesmere Road and Petre Street. Other sisters were Sheila, Susan, Barbara & Debby. Spike and Kathleen have sadly now both died.

Hi Shelby,

Wasn't in the UK when the New Carwood was built but remember the old houses well. Used to have freinds that lived there, June and Terry Thompson. Spent quite a few happy times at the Hallcar. We lived at 251 Petre St which was the first yard after Carwood. Jack the butcher's was on the corner and the back door of his shop was in our yard. There was a general store on the other corner of Carwood, Roger the barber's shop was opposite. Roy and Elsie had the general store at the bottom of Canada St. and Elsie's daughter Pauline is here in Australia and doesn't live far from me.

Does anyone remember the explosion on Canada St about 1968 that blew up some houses and killed two people?

Hi

I remember that. It was the chip shop on Canada Street. We were in school at All Saints and we heard it, as did all the area. After school we all ran down to see what was happening and all the road was blocked. It was awful.

Can't remember who mentioned it but the lane that runs from Upwell Street up towards the nowling greem and Grimesthorpe club is Chambers Lane. The one that runs between the Ball Inn and the Bowling Green is Little Lane, this is just a footpath though that runs between the 2 pubs.

Can't remember who mentioned it but the lane that runs from Upwell Street up towards the nowling greem and Grimesthorpe club is Chambers Lane. The one that runs between the Ball Inn and the Bowling Green is Little Lane, this is just a footpath though that runs between the 2 pubs.

What was that pub called at the bottom of Jenkin? St, my mate Michael Lee used to live there and the pub was run by his parents, we both went to Oakwood School, I have this bizzare recollection that he became a wrestler?

Shelby46, I was working dayshift at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills when a bloke came in to work early for the afternoon shift, he said to me that there had been an explosion between Carwood Rd & Canada St & people had been killed & about 3 houses had blown up, that's where I lived.

In those days not many people had telephones at home so I couldn't contact anyone to find out what had happened, the next few hours were the longest in my life, not knowing whether my wife and 2 children had been involved or not, thankfully they were alright.

The story was that a man who lived on Canada St was on his way to work but returned home to get something, he was smoking & there was a gas leak in the house, BANG.

I'm not sure how many people died that day, but I know the people who owned the chip shop did, that was a day I'll never forget.

Hi, been talking to my dad and found out a few things about Grimesthorpe. My grandad ran the betting office which was on Carlisle Rd, it was L or Lol Holbrooks turf accountants. Apparently he was the local booky. My dad also mentioned Socketts electrical shop and Blakeys but not sure what kind of shop that was, also Gilberts. He also said does anyone remember Jonny Butlers sports day. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers my grandad Lol Holbrook.

hello dors i lived on botham st from about 1959 to about 1969 with my grandparents and on grimesthorpe rd with my parents can anyone remember ronny bilham and albert parr also a old man who used to wear a big overcoat and white plimsoles summer or winter and just walked around the area all the local kids used to ask him for pennies never new his name

David 12656, I remember a woman with a big nose that used to wear white plimsoles & an overcoat and used to walk around the Ellesmere Rd & Gower St area, she was always talking to herself.

I remember Albert Parr, the great Starwalker, Ha Ha.

lolalola, my mother took bets to a bloke at Grimesthorpe, it was down a back St, opposite Hunsley St, that could have been either your Grandfather or Johnnie Butler, he used to sit outside the front of his house.

My grandma and grandad lived on Wincobank Lane. My brother and I spent a lot of time there in the 50s when we were children. Grandma used to take in lodgers, mostly actors who were at the Little Empire. Grandma and Gdad's name was Annie and John Wood, there was also a Mr and Mrs Timmins in their yard. My mum was Phyllis Wood and she lived there until she got married to my dad, Roy Highfield, who lived on Owler Lane.

Hi skippy, my dad says this could have been my grandad but more than likely it was Johnny Butler, he also says that he thinks Johnny was a runner for my grandad along with several others. Harry White was one of them, he was my gran's brother and also lived on Wansfell. He also says does anyone remember Johnny Butlers sports days, he used to just organise them with the local kids for fun and give out small prizes. Going back to the betting, I believe my grandad used to do this from home before it was legal to bet , then he got his shop on Carlisle Road, again I'd love to hear from anyone who knows him.

Lindy I remember the Timmins family, I think they're still in the area now. My dad vaguely remembers your Grandparents but did your mum have a sister also called Ann?

Hi Lololola - my mum didn't have a sister, she was the only one. Her parents were quite old. Mum had a best friend called Renee, who lived on or near Wincobank Lane too.