Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Come on Arthur what's happened to you. Give me some more things to jog my memory.

Hi Dors Just opened up , been having family and friends, no idid mean LOWES , Charlie , the son worked for me , and the others in the bottom house were the Bingleys their son was a car salesman for Kennings about the same time. remember the little lane that run up just below, the long brick wall fell down i rebuilt it , thats how i came to know them,also did repairs at the chip shop opposite the bus turnimus to town nr to the Beehive, and ended up courting the daughter for a while, the Victory and the little theatre comes to mind, the little rd at the side, Winco lane i used to go to Jimmy Childs salvage yard, the shop at the bottom of Holywell rd was run by the , champion boxers Prince Hameds family, i think, across from there at the end of Carlisle st got pinched going past the halt sign, will try to think of something a bit nearer your time , bye Arthur.

I lived at number 7 Botham St when my parents were alive and then in 1958 went to live next door at number 9 with my grandmother. I knew Eve McAllen quite well and was good friends with the Hutchinsons (Margaret and Mary) and with Ann Johnson.

I left Botham St. in 1965 when I got married and went to live on Petre St. near Carwood Rd. I left Sheffield in 1970 when we emigrated to Australia.

Hi, I lived on the 'new' Carwood estate from about 1974 til 1981. I went to All Saints junior and infants, then Earl Marshal, which wasn't as bad then as most think. I didn't think it was anyhow!

Was it called Little Lane? It went up past the Ball pub and a dyke ran through it? Or was it at the otherside?

Here's a picture of the Old Bowling Green 2003 To the left of the picture is Little Lane and to the right is a one way road (can't remember name) There used to be a scissor factory called The Homerick on there.

Here's an older picture of The Bowling Green[/quote I Trev the names on your picture description Upwell lane, Arthur

Gosh I remember falling in the dyke on several occasions. It ran under a tunnel under Upwell Street and we used to walk under it. When you got nearer the Ball pub we always used to find half pairs of scissors which had somehow come from the Homeric factory. Can't remember the name of the one way lane, I'll ask my dad tomorrow, he'll know. I do remember Dr. Leddy aswell, he was my first doctor. Can anyone remember Denis's sales & exchange shop next to the Ball pub. If I remember rightly he had 1 or 2 huge garden gnomes in the window. His shop was like aladdins cave.

We also used to walk under that tunnel in the dyke and sail down it in an old tin bath. I remember a time when the water was so clean there were hundreds of fresh water snails which we collected in jamjars (I was 9yrs old at the time making it 1975).

Dennis Collins died not so long ago (my dad knows his girlfriend). Here's a poor quality photo of what's left of his shop.

Hi Arthur, I remember the Gledhalls shop, are you sure you didn't mean the Bowes, you wrote Lowes, the Who Can Tell was about 10 doors up from where I lived, there is a photo of it on Sheffield Pictures under Grimesthorpe along with other pubs, Bowling Green etc.

I am married to Skippy who is an old friend of Rod's, Sputnick Boy, what a small world.

Dors.

Isuppose you know Rod is my long lost nephew, as you say a small world, Arthur.

Hi David,

When did you live on Botham St? The brick yard was over the wall from our back yard. Until they block it off in about 1960 it was a wonderland for kids. We would spend hours messing around on the old equipment. My grandfather worked for the Sheffield Brick Co. who used to own the yard and the houses we lived in were company houses. I certainly remember going for ice cream to the dairy. I remember the Hepplestones that lived on the corner of Hunsley St and the road where the dairy was. You brough back memories talking about Dennis Collins, I must have bought sold and swapped heaps of stuff there. Loved to go in and browse through all the old books and records.

Spent some great nights in Grimesthorpe Club. Loved to go there when there was a good band on.

The Hepplestones on Hunsley Street were my relatives. They lived with my grandfather (Louis Derrick). His wife died very young and left him to bring up five daughters - Kathleen, Lily, Gladys, Sheila & Betty. Do you remember any of them?

Trever, you say your father knows Dennis Collins girlfriend, which one? old Den had quite a way with the girls, I found him to be a nice bloke, how old was he when he died ? he must have been nearly 90.

Was it called Little Lane? It went up past the Ball pub and a dyke ran through it? Or was it at the otherside?

Here's a picture of the Old Bowling Green 2003 To the left of the picture is Little Lane and to the right is a one way road (can't remember name) There used to be a scissor factory called The Homerick on there.

Here's an older picture of The Bowling Green

I remember the little lane with the dyke but it was the road to the right that I was trying to think of. Is that where the scissor factory was? We used to go down the little lane all the time to get to Upwell St.

Hi, I lived on the 'new' Carwood estate from about 1974 til 1981. I went to All Saints junior and infants, then Earl Marshal, which wasn't as bad then as most think. I didn't think it was anyhow!

Hi Shelby,

Wasn't in the UK when the New Carwood was built but remember the old houses well. Used to have freinds that lived there, June and Terry Thompson. Spent quite a few happy times at the Hallcar. We lived at 251 Petre St which was the first yard after Carwood. Jack the butcher's was on the corner and the back door of his shop was in our yard. There was a general store on the other corner of Carwood, Roger the barber's shop was opposite. Roy and Elsie had the general store at the bottom of Canada St. and Elsie's daughter Pauline is here in Australia and doesn't live far from me.

Does anyone remember the explosion on Canada St about 1968 that blew up some houses and killed two people?

Hi Dors Just opened up , been having family and friends, no idid mean LOWES , Charlie , the son worked for me , and the others in the bottom house were the Bingleys their son was a car salesman for Kennings about the same time. remember the little lane that run up just below, the long brick wall fell down i rebuilt it , thats how i came to know them,also did repairs at the chip shop opposite the bus turnimus to town nr to the Beehive, and ended up courting the daughter for a while, the Victory and the little theatre comes to mind, the little rd at the side, Winco lane i used to go to Jimmy Childs salvage yard, the shop at the bottom of Holywell rd was run by the , champion boxers Prince Hameds family, i think, across from there at the end of Carlisle st got pinched going past the halt sign, will try to think of something a bit nearer your time , bye Arthur.

Can't picture a little lane Arthur. Was the big wall right up at the top of Botham St. on the other side of Grimesthorpe Rd? I think they used to call that bit Botham St. North.

Bye Dors.

Isuppose you know Rod is my long lost nephew, as you say a small world, Arthur.

Yes I know. My husband went to school with Rod at Crookes when Rod was in the FCH. He saw his name on the Friends Reunited site but couldn't contact him because we hadn't subscribed. When he first looked at this site he saw the name Sputnik Boy and from some of the things posted realised it was Rod. Now they talk on the phone about every two weeks. We do live in the same country but unfortunately a couple of thousand kms apart.

Dors.

The Hepplestones on Hunsley Street were my relatives. They lived with my grandfather (Louis Derrick). His wife died very young and left him to bring up five daughters - Kathleen, Lily, Gladys, Sheila & Betty. Do you remember any of them?

The Hepplestones I knew had a daughter called Mary who would be in her early sixties now, and another one Sheila who would be late fifties. Does that sound right? I think their father was nicknamed Spike and my grandmother said that he used to be a boxer.