Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hi Trever, regarding the pic ( view from Wincobank hill ) is the church on the left side of pic called United reform church or something like that?

also the hill across from it is that Upwell hill, That leads on to Earlmarshall Rd?

i had cousins that lived grimesthorpe but dont remember the street that they lived on,they moved off in the 70s after their house was pulled down, there name is gamble

Hi Trever, regarding the pic ( view from Wincobank hill ) is the church on the left side of pic called United reform church or something like that?

also the hill across from it is that Upwell hill, That leads on to Earlmarshall Rd?

The church used to be called The Wesleyan Reform Church/Chapel

The hill across from it may well be called Upwell Hill, we used to call it Stoney road, it runs up from the Sand Pan chip shop and on to Grimesthorpe Road? then onto Earl Marshal Road.

Hi Dors, I know the name Mortimer. They lived opposite us on Wansfell, my gran lived bang opposite them. My mum used to be friends with Heather which I believe is Margarets sister. Their mum died not so long ago. St.Thomas's church was on Holywell Road. We were christened there. We lived in the first terraced on Wansfell nearest the church. The shop you mentioned was the victory sweet shop and I don't know about when you were little but when we were kids we used to go there on a Friday night for cola bottles, as far as I know the same family still run it now. I can't remember who listed the pics but they are great. I spent many an hour on that park. There was a bit more to it then though. Where did you live Dors?

i remember the bowes family the chippy and gledhalls shop the brick yard next to the who can tell played there for hours because i was told not to go near it dennis collins on the bottom road near grimesthorpe road school we used to buy american comics and toy cars to race in the school yard from him hillfooot dairy i think thats what they called it used to take a bowl to fetch ice cream from there dr ledy near the sheffield arms pub the allotments on grimesthorpe rd fetch fresh mint on sunday for the dinner and rubarb and a bag with some suger to make it edible so many good memories for me i had a very happy childhood there i talk to my dad often about the area he has a fantastic memory for anything about the area if anyone got any questions i will ask him for you

The church used to be called The Wesleyan Reform Church/Chapel

The hill across from it may well be called Upwell Hill, we used to call it Stoney road, it runs up from the Sand Pan chip shop and on to Grimesthorpe Road? then onto Earl Marshal Road.

Thanks Trever, we used to call it stony hill.

We used to live at the top of it on Earl Marshall Rd there used to be a Ropers garage across from us and I went to Grimesthorpe School, then on to Earl Marshal School.

i remember the bowes family the chippy and gledhalls shop the brick yard next to the who can tell played there for hours because i was told not to go near it dennis collins on the bottom road near grimesthorpe road school we used to buy american comics and toy cars to race in the school yard from him hillfooot dairy i think thats what they called it used to take a bowl to fetch ice cream from there dr ledy near the sheffield arms pub the allotments on grimesthorpe rd fetch fresh mint on sunday for the dinner and rubarb and a bag with some suger to make it edible so many good memories for me i had a very happy childhood there i talk to my dad often about the area he has a fantastic memory for anything about the area if anyone got any questions i will ask him for you

Hi David,

When did you live on Botham St? The brick yard was over the wall from our back yard. Until they block it off in about 1960 it was a wonderland for kids. We would spend hours messing around on the old equipment. My grandfather worked for the Sheffield Brick Co. who used to own the yard and the houses we lived in were company houses. I certainly remember going for ice cream to the dairy. I remember the Hepplestones that lived on the corner of Hunsley St and the road where the dairy was. You brough back memories talking about Dennis Collins, I must have bought sold and swapped heaps of stuff there. Loved to go in and browse through all the old books and records.

Spent some great nights in Grimesthorpe Club. Loved to go there when there was a good band on.

Hi lolalola,

I lived on Botham St.which is long gone I believe.My name was Doreen Turner then. My husband came back to the UK to see his family about '92 and was shocked that he found some places hard to recognise. It's good to know that some of the places are still around. I think it was the Mortimer's that I remember going out with in their car. Don't know where we went but it was a large park of some kind. I lost contact with a lot of my friends from Grimesthorpe school when I went to High Storrs. Used to see them from time to time as I got older and went around the pubs and clubs. What did they call the little road that ran down the side of the Bowling Green pub onto Upwell St. There was a lad in my class at Grimesthorpe called Victor Betts and another girl Janet......lived on there. Used to be friends with Ann Curry who's parents had the Hodson and then the Bee Hive. Also friends with Terry Nuttall whose parents had the Victoria. My friends sister had The Alex at the bottom of Crown hill and I had my wedding reception at The Crown. When I talk to people over here about how many pubs there were around where I lived they find it hard to believe.

Hi Diana.! I thought you had passed on,[joke] Well you appear to be oldest on this theme, but not old enough to remember the Gleadhalls who had the little shop just up on Grim; rd, and the Lowes,

across, in the houses high up with railings at the front the Gleadhalls kept pigs on top of the old quarry, I lived off Petre st but at the other end, remember the pub WHO CAN TELL, I am going on about things before you were born perhaps , but I may be wrong, any way it brought memories to me. thanks Arthur.

Come on Arthur what's happened to you. Give me some more things to jog my memory.

Summer 1955, there was a family by the name of Gamble that lived on a street that ran off I think Carlisle Rd, the crown pub was on the corner & the Alex at the bottom, we use to call it Crown Hill.

Hi lolalola,

.....What did they call the little road that ran down the side of the Bowling Green pub onto Upwell St....... .

Was it called Little Lane? It went up past the Ball pub and a dyke ran through it? Or was it at the otherside?

Here's a picture of the Old Bowling Green 2003 To the left of the picture is Little Lane and to the right is a one way road (can't remember name) There used to be a scissor factory called The Homerick on there.

Here's an older picture of The Bowling Green

Gosh I remember falling in the dyke on several occasions. It ran under a tunnel under Upwell Street and we used to walk under it. When you got nearer the Ball pub we always used to find half pairs of scissors which had somehow come from the Homeric factory. Can't remember the name of the one way lane, I'll ask my dad tomorrow, he'll know. I do remember Dr. Leddy aswell, he was my first doctor. Can anyone remember Denis's sales & exchange shop next to the Ball pub. If I remember rightly he had 1 or 2 huge garden gnomes in the window. His shop was like aladdins cave.