Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Anyone from Grimesthorpe? I lived on Botham St, went to Owler Lane School from 1951 and then to Grimesthorpe school until 1958 when I went to High Storrs (clever bugger). My husband came from Shirecliffe and surprisingly a number of my friends married guys from Shirecliffe and Southey.

Hi, I'm from Grimesthorpe but wasn't born until 1972. All my family are from there, my dad went to the same school probably in the 60's. We lived on Wansfell Road.

hello i also lived on botham street at number 63 i think near petre street i also went to grimesthorpe junior and owler lane my name is hargreaves and my relatives were the easons and mc allens do you remember lany of these

Lived on Whiteways Road from 1972-92. Mum and dad still live there. Went to Owler Brook and Whiteways.

I lived at number 7 Botham St when my parents were alive and then in 1958 went to live next door at number 9 with my grandmother. I knew Eve McAllen quite well and was good friends with the Hutchinsons (Margaret and Mary) and with Ann Johnson.

I left Botham St. in 1965 when I got married and went to live on Petre St. near Carwood Rd. I left Sheffield in 1970 when we emigrated to Australia.

I was only born in 1986, but have lived on Rothay Road for 9 and a half years now. Moved from Jenkin Road at the age of 10, haved lived on Rothay and still are.

Anyone from Grimesthorpe? I lived on Botham St, went to Owler Lane School from 1951 and then to Grimesthorpe school until 1958 when I went to High Storrs (clever bugger). My husband came from Shirecliffe and surprisingly a number of my friends married guys from Shirecliffe and Southey.
Hi Diana.! I thought you had passed on,[joke] Well you appear to be oldest on this theme, but not old enough to remember the Gleadhalls who had the little shop just up on Grim; rd, and the Lowes,

across, in the houses high up with railings at the front the Gleadhalls kept pigs on top of the old quarry, I lived off Petre st but at the other end, remember the pub WHO CAN TELL, I am going on about things before you were born perhaps , but I may be wrong, any way it brought memories to me. thanks Arthur.

Our surname was Holbrook. My dad was born on Wansfell but I think they moved onto Grimesthorpe Road late 60's early 70's. They moved back to Wansfell in 1972 when I was born. Had a very happy childhood there, lived there then on Skelwith until I was 20 when I moved to Scarborough. I remember the shops on Upwell Street, Tony's barbers (which is still there), shop called Lissimans but not sure if you spell it like that, it sold buttons and ribbons and allsorts. I remember going to the off sales bit in the Sheffield arms for 20 players for my grandad and a couple of bottles of pop. I could go on forever but I'll stop now. I love this thread.XXX

Hi Arthur, I remember the Gledhalls shop, are you sure you didn't mean the Bowes, you wrote Lowes, the Who Can Tell was about 10 doors up from where I lived, there is a photo of it on Sheffield Pictures under Grimesthorpe along with other pubs, Bowling Green etc.

I am married to Skippy who is an old friend of Rod's, Sputnick Boy, what a small world.

Dors.

lolalola,

My surname was Turner before I was married. Lots of the kids I went to school with came from around the Wansfell Rd area. I used to have a friend in the late 50's from Wansfell, Margaret Mortimer.

I remember going to the Victory cinema in the 50's with my parents. There used to be a little sweet shop by the side of it somewhere. Our family doctor was down there, Doctor Leddy. He was Irish and had about eight children I think, most of them girls. I got married at St. Thomas's church, can't remember the name of the road that was on but it ran off Upwell St.

I can remeber walking up through the prefabs that were on Upwell St to go to Firth Park Library. Because it's so long since I was there it is hard to remember some of the names, places etc. but it is really bringing back memories reading all the things that people are contributing.