Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

[ Skippy] you said you lived on Peter st between Carwood rd & Canada st did you know Joyce & Alan Wilson they had 2 boys don,t know there names.

Jean, they lived next door to us, the boys were Garry & Glyn, Joyce's mother lived on Canada St, have you any idea where they finished up after they demolished that area ?

I thought Jack Asher owned Bobby Limbs old shop at the corner of Carwood Rd & Petre St, which was in our yard and 3 doors away, could have been a different Jack, we left in 1970.

Walt I always thought it was Jack Asher on Upwell Street. You have me intrigued. I cannot for the life of me remember there being shops opposite the butchers. Trick Question?

You might be right Jean, but I always thought "Jack Asher" was also the name above the Window of the Shop on Upwell Street. Can anyone else remember ?

Jack Asher did have a butchers on Carlise road, it was run by my uncle ,

Frank Skinner, after he left the co-op butchers at the bottom of Moss Street.

Ed59

Cat631 and skippy. All I can say to you is "Oo you are awful"

I think we would both have to agree with you Morty.:hihi::hihi:

Walt I always thought it was Jack Asher on Upwell Street. You have me intrigued. I cannot for the life of me remember there being shops opposite the butchers. Trick Question?

Its not a trick question. it was on upwell street next door or next door but one from the shop on the corner of Upwell Street and Carlisle Street. I think the shop on the corner may have been Lemms.

Hi Walt, the shop on the corner did belong to the Lemms, ie Kieth & Trevers mom, a pocky little shop if i remember rightly. My brain cells must be on the way out, i can only remember Benbows on that side, so cant wait for the answer to that one. Steve

Walt, you are right about the name Asher being over the shop window on Upwell st, but it was Alex Asher. On Carlisle rd from the bottom of Moss st, there was Allisons butcher shop, then a hardware shop a passageway then came Harry Williamson,s barber shop, a greengrocer,s, Mortimers, Jack Ashers Dorothy Fletchers hairdressers, Pixley,s bakers and lastly came the Co-op chemist, on the corner of Grimesthorpe rd & Carlisle rd on the opposite side of the road there was the Victoria pub & yard, Walshes wet fish shop,Dennis Collins swop shop,Earnshaw,s clothes shop, Paper shop, grocers shop I think there name was either Stanford or Sanford, the Hodgson or Wellington on the corner.I know what was across from Ashers on Upwell st

Skippy Joyce Wilson is my cousin, her mum was my dad,s eldest sister. I think they moved up to Sheffield Lane Top area but i,m not sure. My aunt & Alan are no longer with us. Did you know the Appleyards? they lived at the top of Canada st.

What a small world Jean, Elsie & Roy who owned the corner shop at the bottom of Canada St came out here some years ago to visit their daughter Pauline & family, who came here about 3 years after us, they live about 10 mins from us.

The only people I knew from that area were the blokes I drank with at the Hallcar or worked with.

Walt, you are right about the name Asher being over the shop window on Upwell st, but it was Alex Asher. On Carlisle rd from the bottom of Moss st, there was Allisons butcher shop, then a hardware shop a passageway then came Harry Williamson,s barber shop, a greengrocer,s, Mortimers, Jack Ashers Dorothy Fletchers hairdressers, Pixley,s bakers and lastly came the Co-op chemist, on the corner of Grimesthorpe rd & Carlisle rd on the opposite side of the road there was the Victoria pub & yard, Walshes wet fish shop,Dennis Collins swop shop,Earnshaw,s clothes shop, Paper shop, grocers shop I think there name was either Stanford or Sanford, the Hodgson or Wellington on the corner.I know what was across from Ashers on Upwell st

It was the Wellington, top of Cleveland St.with Butlers Chip Shop on the other corner and the Co-op grocers/butchers across the road.

The Hodson was at the top of Draper St. and Sockets across the road.

Hi all, the butchers opposite Ashers, was Wiggley's. I think the Ashers were 3 brothers, all butchers, and I think each had a shop,1 on Upwell St, on Carlisle Rd and one at Page Hall. The grocers on top Grimesthorpe was Stanbrough's.

Hi all, the butchers opposite Ashers, was Wiggley's. I think the Ashers were 3 brothers, all butchers, and I think each had a shop,1 on Upwell St, on Carlisle Rd and one at Page Hall. The grocers on top Grimesthorpe was Stanbrough's.

Cheers George mate. Know any more of the quiz answers ? Save me a job tomorrow.