Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Yes the Barley Corn had a very bad reputation in the 50's/ 60's, I went in there for a laugh with some of my mates when I was 18, before going to the late night dance at the city hall, it was full of old bags & poof's, a couple of old blokes were in there that were dressed up as women, a real eye opener.

It was really scruffy, I remember getting a glass of beer that had lipstick on it, I left it & never went in again.

Hi Skippy,Only pub in town where you went to Fitzallen Sq for a

jimmy riddle,and you went in backwards to make it look like you were leaving.

hi there i think you are right must have been 1983. with a bit of luck i'll see if i can make friday its been a long time since i had a drink in the ball.

Greetings Smiler John

Great to have you on board the "Grimesthorpe" Forum. I am trying to think when it was I last saw you, I think we bumped into each other at a FA Cup semi-final , I think that would be Highbury in 1983. Are you going to the Ball on Friday for the reunion ?

hi there i think you are right must have been 1983. with a bit of luck i'll see if i can make friday its been a long time since i had a drink in the ball.

Hi Smiler,

John good to hear from you.

The last time I saw you was years ago, you were not even old enough to go in the Ball.

Hello Alligin...Dave Watkins, where did you see him?

Hi Smiler,

John good to hear from you.

The last time I saw you was years ago, you were not even old enough to go in the Ball.

hi dave it was the ball where i had my first pint i think i was working with ken on the coal one saturday and we delivered coal there my dad was also there and we went in for a pint dad asked if i could have a shandy because i was only sixteen and landlord turned round and said if i was delivering the coal bags then i was having a pint of beer

i think i know who you are are you my uncle arthur if it is i havent seen you for at least 40 years

well i am still nocking about

are you gladys son

Hi cat631

Dave was parking his car opposite me down at Meadowhell when I first saw him but I could not put a name to the face at first, but then we both recognized each other. He lives quite close to where I live, see Hindy another Grimesthorpe lad living in Chapeltown along with Mick Martin and Dave Ellis who lived close to you on Birdwell Road.

Hi phil, I think I'm a year older than you, I used to hang around with Les Rhodes & John Wright & co'. I only see Steve on very rare occasions, if I am passing his mum & dads and he happens to be there.

Hi pigeon, pity you didn't mention that you were in the area, maybe could have met up and sampled the falldown water in the Ball or the Arms.

did les live opposite the club if he did hes my nephew+

yes he did live in them, dad told me>> today mum would like to see the photograph of the family including gran and Evlyne ???

i ve got a photo of your family both your grams are on it aunties and a litte boy with blonde hair mostly yourmothers side

Hi steveh, yes I can, my dad used to have an allotment up there, which I used to hate going too, so I remember every footstep going to it.

I see your brother in law quite often, we're both in the same buisness.

got a photo of your dad and his 2 brothers sat in grimy club

well i am still nocking about

are you gladys son

yes im paul hope your keeping well i would like to see the photos you are on about as i have only got a couple that pidgeon sent me

i havent seen gladys in well over ten years you know what families are like

hows helen hope she is ok best wishes paul