Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Nettiej it was easy for cat to suss me out as he knows my hobby and we grew up together just as it was easy to know who cat was after first seeing his logo. Your older brothers may know me but the Rawsons will as our yard backed up onto their's, the names Roger Fowler and yes once again the reports of my demise are greatly exagerated , as 2 Roger Fowler's lived in the same area the other one lived on Popple St at that time and was a bit younger than me, by the way I have no idea who most people are on this site.

Hi Roger.

I do remember a Roger Fowler. But now you've said there were 2 of them, I'm not sure which one. Perhaps its the one in the Rawsons class eh!

You say you have no idea who most people are - well you've got your work cut out trying to find out :hihi:

I'll give you a start Terry Jessop, Parsleydiva, Fiesta Fawn and Owlerlaner are some of my brothers and sisters. You will soon work out the rest I'm sure

Welcome to the site Roger, I would never have guessed you from the "Alligin" tag. It must be nearly 40 years since I peered over the wall into your yard.

Incidentally your namesake was in my class at school , he is far right back row next to the teacher in this 1960 Photo.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/Rawson21/j4a.jpg

Finally a message for Morty. When will we see Smiler John on the forum ?

I love that photo Walt, the Rawsons matching sweaters, and it looks like Daves brushed his hair with a toffee apple, lol.

John PM

Do you remember my wife ,Janet Brewin,from Reform Chapel and School.Her mother,now 91,was a freiend of Marjorie.

John PM

Do you remember my wife ,Janet Brewin,from Reform Chapel and School.Her mother,now 91,was a freiend of Marjorie.

I remember Mrs. Brewin

I'm sure she used to go on the Day trips with the Women's meeting.

Mum used to take us every year when we were kids.

Did she move to Longley or am I mixing her up with someone else from the chapel.

Yes Nettie The same Mrs B.She now lives in Hoyland near her daughter Janet.

Yes Nettie The same Mrs B.She now lives in Hoyland near her daughter Janet.

You will have to tell her she has made fame on the form.

I am Lily Jessop's daughter, and she will remember people like, Bessie Webb, Madge Hible, and Rene Marriott.

I'm sure she has lots of great memories of Grimesthorpe

Hi Walt Don't know why Smiler hasn't put his memories on the Forum yet especially as he phoned to tell me about it. Will try to persuade him.

NettieJ I remember the pie and pea suppers. My mother, being Scottish) always liked us to have them on New Years Eve. Yum. Ah well, back to the lettuce leaf.

I love that photo Walt, the Rawsons matching sweaters, and it looks like Daves brushed his hair with a toffee apple, lol.

What we'd give to have hair to brush now. Look at my wavy blonde hair on the photo. Not long after that it waved and went. Must have been all that wash and go I used to use.

Hopefully have got my ISP problems sorted so should be able to join in again. I've done another interview with 'arry and will post it shortly. Does anyone fancy a few beers again on say, Friday 12th, October? Or suggest alternative dates and the venue. Ball or Arms?

Friday 12th October is fine by me, no preference as to the venue.

Walt

the reason why I quote that the reports of my demise are greatly exagerated is that a Roger Fowler was reported to have died this year he was slightly younger than me but Margaret did receive quite a few nervous phone calls. I suppose I should have chosen the name of Grim Reaper and not Alligin. I did meet up with young John Crookes his sister Barbara and his Mum today who i'm sure you will remember. Nettiej as to working out people's names, I'm afraid old age, poverty and the lack of an active brain make this impossible but if we all meet up for a drink it could turn out to be a surprise.

John PM

Hi Tonio, Yes i remember Janet but can't remember what she looked like ! (my memory seems to be rubbish now !) . I have always wondered what happened to her.

I have a photo of our Sunday school class in 1954 at Grimesthorpe Chapel. I don't know how to put a photo on here so if you PM me your email address I will send it so Janet can tell me if she is on as I must confess I can only remember one of the girls names. Also on it is Ian and Barry Reynolds, Ian Pinhorn, David Nile, Carole Traunter and my cousin Michael Moore as well as me.

Cheers, John

Hi All,

I know this isn't Grimesthorpe news but we have mentioned the subject earlier. I was watching a lady taking photos of the old St Hildas church n jotting notes down, so me having the theory of 'if you don't ask owt you don't find owt aht' so I popped across for a nosey. The lady was from English Heritage looking to see if the building should be listed, which then lead me to asking will it have yet another mysterious fire which means the church will have to be demolished, so that flats can appear over night!!!

I hope it does become listed and can be used for the community again, it's such a shame to see how much history is destroyed because the pound signs are right!