Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hello Roger. It's took you some time to get on this thread. I hope you and Margaret are well. Sorry to hear about Jack Crooks. By the way, you got a mention in 'arry Arkwrights memoirs.

Its me that mentioned Jack Crookes. Really sorry to hear that he reached such a ripe old age and wasn't able to make it further. Certainly his name brought back many memories of happy times in and around the Grimesthorpe area.

Hopefully have got my ISP problems sorted so should be able to join in again. I've done another interview with 'arry and will post it shortly. Does anyone fancy a few beers again on say, Friday 12th, October? Or suggest alternative dates and the venue. Ball or Arms?

Hello Ralph and all

yes I have read Arkwrights memoirs and saw that I had been mentioned, I am awaiting the next episode. I'm sure I saw an old school friend of yours the other day infact she was a very close friend of yours as you used to sit next to her at school.

Hindy you was right about being a Chap Lad??? infact a few Grimesthorpe people go into the Legion happy John who you know my sister and husband and Eddie Greenwood. I'm sure you would have guessed who I was given a little more time but you may have struggled with the name.

I was only born in 1986, but have lived on Rothay Road for 9 and a half years now. Moved from Jenkin Road at the age of 10, haved lived on Rothay and still are.

My grandma lived at 43 Rothay rd ( its the middle house of 3 in the yard accessed from bottom of Hawkshead Rd ) from 1924 and mum and uncle were born there. My uncle Ken lived there until he died in 1991.

Are you near that house?

I live out of Sheffield so haven't seen it for years. Whats it look like now?

Johnpm

I used to live at number 13 just where the telephone box was but I was born in number 15 but we moved straight after so we were the end house in the yard. My uncle used to be the manager at the co-op on Rothay Road and another uncle lived on Wincobank Lane next to the graveyard. One of my sisters also lived on Rothay Road at number 19 which was in the same yard as my parents house, another sister lived in the next yard at number 9, until she moved up to Skelworth Close where she stayed until she died some years ago. My niece still lives on the Beacon estate which I visited yesterday, as her son who goes to Ecclesfield School calls to my house for dinner and a lift home on Wednesdays. I did drive past my old home and your grandma's house on my way back, and although the houses have been slightly modernised not that much as changed in appearance but the atmosphere was not their and the culture as changed.

Hi Alligin

Is the happy John at the Legion my brother John Mortimer by any chance? Our granny Mortimer lived in Rothay Road and then our parents moved into the house when granny died. We moved onto Wansfell before I started school. My brother and sister were born to that house. You are right the atmosphere is not the same. When I visit Heather look up Wansfell Road to see the old house. We can't bear to think that someone else is living there. Happy days.

Hi Alligin, at last someone has sussed you out.Well done Cat and welcome back we have missed you.

Mind you I'm none the wiser but if you are the same age as the Rawsons, then maybe my BIG brothers Terry and Dave will know you eh!

Rgarding this post

Hindy I know Brian Curl did his national service in the army but I never knew it was the Roman Army.

Is this what you were on about?

The screen came alive with Roman Soldiers busily crucifying Christians. The Centurian walks over to the screen' date=' holds up his hammer, smiles and says "We always use ARKWRIGHTS NAILS".........................To be continued.[/quote']

:hihi::hihi:

Hi Morty

no the person who I have christened happy John is not your brother and even though i have been a member of the legion for approx 30 years I know very few of the people by name, I must be the shy retiring type.

Nettiej it was easy for cat to suss me out as he knows my hobby and we grew up together just as it was easy to know who cat was after first seeing his logo. Your older brothers may know me but the Rawsons will as our yard backed up onto their's, the names Roger Fowler and yes once again the reports of my demise are greatly exagerated , as 2 Roger Fowler's lived in the same area the other one lived on Popple St at that time and was a bit younger than me, by the way I have no idea who most people are on this site.

Well now we've got that sorted - back to our memories eh!

I was watcing telly t'other day and Alan Tichmarsh was devouring a pork pie.

Suddenly the memory of Pie and Pea Suppers came to mind

The Reform Chapel used to hold Pie and Pea Suppers

and if I remember corrrectly, they always insisted the Pies came from Spinks the Butchers on Owlerlane as

"They are the Best Pies around"

They were lovely tho'

I could just eat one now

Hello Ralph and all

yes I have read Arkwrights memoirs and saw that I had been mentioned, I am awaiting the next episode. I'm sure I saw an old school friend of yours the other day infact she was a very close friend of yours as you used to sit next to her at school.

Hindy you was right about being a Chap Lad??? infact a few Grimesthorpe people go into the Legion happy John who you know my sister and husband and Eddie Greenwood. I'm sure you would have guessed who I was given a little more time but you may have struggled with the name.

I was heading in your direction when you threw me a curve ball, the roman army, sent me totally off track. Anyway, it's about time you joined us. There's so many Grimies in the Legion nowadays we ought to think about holding a reunion there, even the bar manager used to be the landlord of the Bowling Green.

Hi Morty

no the person who I have christened happy John is not your brother and even though i have been a member of the legion for approx 30 years I know very few of the people by name, I must be the shy retiring type.

Nettiej it was easy for cat to suss me out as he knows my hobby and we grew up together just as it was easy to know who cat was after first seeing his logo. Your older brothers may know me but the Rawsons will as our yard backed up onto their's, the names Roger Fowler and yes once again the reports of my demise are greatly exagerated , as 2 Roger Fowler's lived in the same area the other one lived on Popple St at that time and was a bit younger than me, by the way I have no idea who most people are on this site.

Welcome to the site Roger, I would never have guessed you from the "Alligin" tag. It must be nearly 40 years since I peered over the wall into your yard.

Incidentally your namesake was in my class at school , he is far right back row next to the teacher in this 1960 Photo.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/Rawson21/j4a.jpg

Finally a message for Morty. When will we see Smiler John on the forum ?