Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Brian is now a Legionaire, I wonder if Alligin could also be a "Chap Lad"?

Come on then Hindy get those grey cells working :confused:

remember the chippy and the boys club across road run by keith&trevor lemm lived in hollywell road went to grimesthorpe then one of the first lot upto whiteways then down to earl marshal

Welcome to the Grimesthorpe forum Estima.

Do you have any thoughts as to who Alligin could be :?:

Hindy

I know Brian Curl did his national service in the army but I never knew it was the Roman Army.

Hindy

I know Brian Curl did his national service in the army but I never knew it was the Roman Army.

It would be far too easy to come back with a witty comment about Brian's age but he is a good friend of mine so I will resist. These days Brian is far more likely to have a fishing pole in his hand rather than a sword. By not associating "Legionaire" with The Royal British Legion, I am ruling out the Chapeltown theory. Sorry Nettie, I'm stumped.

By not associating "Legionaire" with The Royal British Legion, I am ruling out the Chapeltown theory. Sorry Nettie, I'm stumped.

Awe shame, I thought you were getting somewhere there Hindy,

looks like its down to the Rawson's but they seem to have given up! :huh:

So far I'm thinking

Male

came from a family with 4/5 kids

for some reason I think he is older than me :hihi:

Come on Alligin give us some of your memories see if they help :help:

I would not dream of asking for your age Nettie but you are right with all of your assumptions, and as I have known Brian Curl for longer than Hindy as I must be pretty old but not as old as some, come on Hindy I'm sure you can see past 1 red herring

One member will know who I am when I say that my name is taken from a Scottish mountain in the Wester Ross region.

I would not dream of asking for your age Nettie. One member will know who I am when I say that my name is taken from a Scottish mountain in the Wester Ross region.

Haha! very kind of you not to ask :hihi:

Well as no one is coming forward Ive done a bit of searching and look what Ive found

"BENN ALLIGIN is the western of the three great mountain masses on the northern side of Upper Loch Torridon ad Glen Torridon.The other two being Liathach and Beinn Eighe.

Some say that Beinn Alligin means Jewelled Mountain

Got it then - Your name is BEN :hihi::hihi:

Haha! very kind of you not to ask :hihi:

Well as no one is coming forward Ive done a bit of searching and look what Ive found

"BENN ALLIGIN is the western of the three great mountain masses on the northern side of Upper Loch Torridon ad Glen Torridon.The other two being Liathach and Beinn Eighe.

Some say that Beinn Alligin means Jewelled Mountain

Got it then - Your name is BEN :hihi::hihi:

Well done NettieJ - but BEN who?

Well done NettieJ - but BEN who?

Well it's not Ben Nevis :hihi::hihi:

You have done your homework Nettie, but the name is not Ben. I use the name of Alligin because it was the first mountain I climbed in Scotland many years ago, and yes it is a jewell. I am sure you will work out my name when I say that I had 3 sisters and a brother and that I know the Rawsons, John Hindemarch, Ralph Aspinall and many more.

Most of these people are about my age group but I'm sure are a lot younger. Someone mentioned Jack Crookes who had the friut shop on Rothay Road, very saddly it is his funeral tomorrow he had reached the grand age of 94. Even with that sad news there is a further clue.

You have done your homework Nettie, but the name is not Ben. I use the name of Alligin because it was the first mountain I climbed in Scotland many years ago, and yes it is a jewell. I am sure you will work out my name when I say that I had 3 sisters and a brother and that I know the Rawsons, John Hindemarch, Ralph Aspinall and many more.

Most of these people are about my age group but I'm sure are a lot younger. Someone mentioned Jack Crookes who had the friut shop on Rothay Road, very saddly it is his funeral tomorrow he had reached the grand age of 94. Even with that sad news there is a further clue.

Hello Roger. It's took you some time to get on this thread. I hope you and Margaret are well. Sorry to hear about Jack Crooks. By the way, you got a mention in 'arry Arkwrights memoirs.