Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hi all, some of you eg Nettiej already know who I am.

While I lived at Hinde House Lane, Page Hall , my grandma and grandad William and Lilian Morris lived at 43 Rothay Rd. My Uncle Ken lived there all his life and my mum Marjorie lived there until she was married.

We all went to Reform Chapel and Sunday school and I also went to Grimesthorpe Junior school from 1951 to 1955. I was in The Life Boys and Boys Brigade at Reform Chapel until I left Sheffield in 1976.

When a lad, I spent most Saturdays at my grandma's so have many fond memories of the area. Jack (John) Crookes veg shop was not far away as was the chip shop and the Co-op - remember the blue sugar bags, whole cheeses etc ?

Jack Crookes also had a lorry which he used to take veg round the whole area on a Saturday going as far as our house on Hinde House Lane - really great veg.

My uncle had an allotment opposite the old gas works ( long since demolished) next to Brightside station which is how I started my love of train spotting.

Well, thats a bit to be going on with. Grimesthorpe was a great place then - all happy memories. Hope yours were too.

John

Hi John

Great to see you posting on the forum.

Of course I remember your Uncle Ken Morris. He used to teach us at the Reform Chapel. He also used to be in charge of the Youth Club and organised many dances for us. Great memories.

I remember too your Mum and Dad. Your Dad used to have great fun appearing in the many shows and Pantomimes we used to perform at the Reform Chapel. Hard work but we all enjoyed it (We must have or we wouldnt have done it year after year). I also remembr your Gran (Ken's mum). I look forward to hearing many more of your memories.

Hi and Welcome Alligin

I wonder how long it will be before we suss you out eh!

Hi Nettiej

I don't think it will take too long to suss me out at all as i spent many years in Grimesthorpe and know a few people on the site, the Rawsons for example. I came from a reasonably large family and all of us except one did the rounds of Owler Lane, Grimesthorpe and back to Owler Lane the exception went to the clever side of Owler Lane School not me. Time to go the Rugby is on TV.

Hello again, I hope you are all well. Remember the old saying. 'If it's not broken then don't try and fix it'. We recently had an offer from AOL to upgrade our broadband to lots of Gigathings and it sounded like a good idea, but since we changed we've had nothing but trouble. Like the old modems knocked us off line when the phone rang so does this fancy upgrade. It's a step backwards. Hold on the phone's rin.....

Note to Walt. Left you a PM last week - please check it out.

I asked Johns permission to share the following pm as several of you knew Cliiff Minnis and Roy Crossey and also others will have been associated with the 53rd BB at Reform Chapel and find it interesting.

"Hi Walt, By the time you joined BB I was an officer in the 53rd - I was born in 1944. I was one of the first to do DEA when Roy Crossey started it in Sheffield )with his sidekick John Davies). That's really how I got to know him and eventually was godfather to his son Lance.

Cliff Minnis and my dad Jim Moore were part of the group which started the 53rd in 1932. Cliff tried to teach my piano when I was young without much success I am afraid!

As a young officer in the 53rd I was involved in teaching DEA and had all those you mention ie Alan Wootton etc involved - they were good times.

I also remember lots of times when we got togther with you lot at St Thomas' for various joint activities. I also remeber there being a coffee bar installed at St Thomas.

I primarily wrote to you because I think it was you who put some really kind words on this forum about Cliff and Roy . Yes, wonderful people who gave up much for lads they looked after. The same applied to Charles and Amy Wise who ran the BB and LIfe boys at 53rd.

Cheers, John"

Hi Nettiej

I don't think it will take too long to suss me out at all as i spent many years in Grimesthorpe and know a few people on the site, the Rawsons for example. I came from a reasonably large family and all of us except one did the rounds of Owler Lane, Grimesthorpe and back to Owler Lane the exception went to the clever side of Owler Lane School not me. Time to go the Rugby is on TV.

You've got me stumped Alligin. I am trying to think of the large families, those that spring to mind are the Dickensons (Rothay Road and Skelwith Rise), Tomlinsons ( Birdwell) , Darwins (Birdwell) Davis's (Hawkshead), Connors (Hawkshead), Browns (Birdwell) , Burtons (Corner of Birdwell and Wansfell).

Am I close ? Go on give us another clue. How about a school or birth year ? Male or Female ?

You've got me stumped Alligin. I am trying to think of the large families, those that spring to mind are the Dickensons (Rothay Road and Skelwith Rise), Tomlinsons ( Birdwell) , Darwins (Birdwell) Davis's (Hawkshead), Connors (Hawkshead), Browns (Birdwell) , Burtons (Corner of Birdwell and Wansfell).

Am I close ? Go on give us another clue. How about a school or birth year ? Male or Female ?

Agree with twinnie,

Holywell Road I am trying to think of who I knew on that road.

Walt has mentioned families I did not know were large come on give us a clue.

I'm guessing Male cos he said he had to go and watch Rugby.

He also said reasonably large so I bet there were less of them than us. Does that help you Rawsons?

Hi all new to all of this but I do have many memories of Grimesthorpe especially the Hollywell Road area.

Holywell Road?

Are you from the graveyard at ST Thomas's?

Hi Nettiej

Its not another one of the Jessops with a tricky pseudonym is it ?

:hihi: No Walt - I think all of us are accounted for. How many Tomlinsons were there?