Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hi Can anyone help help me? My Mum reckons that her grandparents lived in a house on road on the left just before the Upwell Street bridge - where the Gas Depot was/is? This would have been before WW11. Does anyone know if there were houses there for the gas depot? Did the road have a name? Thanks.

Hi Can anyone help help me? My Mum reckons that her grandparents lived in a house on road on the left just before the Upwell Street bridge - where the Gas Depot was/is? This would have been before WW11. Does anyone know if there were houses there for the gas depot? Did the road have a name? Thanks.

There was a house in the entrance of the Gas works that people use to refer to as "The Gas House". I presume it was the Gas Superintendent's House .

The only other road off to the left on Upwell Street between Upwell Street railway bridge and Holywell Road was Rectory Terrace.

I think it was Rectory Terrace, what were grandparents called?

my mum lived on adsett st since she was born in 1952, she lived in the corner house which used to be a pub which joins adsett and draper st, later on they moved onto draper st no 12 then up to no 17. she remembers grimesthorpe roads that were covered in a red dust.

my mum lived on adsett st since she was born in 1952, she lived in the corner house which used to be a pub which joins adsett and draper st, later on they moved onto draper st no 12 then up to no 17. she remembers grimesthorpe roads that were covered in a red dust.

the red dust came from the brickworks at the end of the road the pub was possibly the who can tell.. go on picture sheffield .com and type in (who can tell) there is a very good photograph ....

SusanB has kindly sent me some cracking photos of Owler Lane Infants and Grimesthorpe Junior School. I'll start with this one from Grimesthorpe Juniors J2A in 1958/59.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/Rawson21/img215f.jpg

My memory is quite good from nearly 50 years ago, but dont ask me what I had for my breakfast. Here are the names I recall:-

Back Row, left to right:Mr.Gathercole, Peter Morton, Craig Barson, Mick Gomersall, Mick Barrett, Frank Shaw, Keith Johnson, Laurence Briggs, Phillip Buckley, Robert Turner, ?, Roger Fowler, Stephen Claypole, Peter Yendley, Miss Hanson.

Third row:- Susan Boardman, ?, Beryl Gent, Lynn Nunn, Heather Mortimer, Rosemary Wood, Pamela Needham, Heather Bailey, Susan Kay, Susan Barson, Susan Allott, Stuart Burnham, Stephen Crowther.

Second Row: Mick Rawson, Sandra Dawson, ?, Margaret Dewick, Susan Hinchcliffe, Mary Glaves, ?, Judith Sidwell, Joan Holland, John Holbrook, Dave Kitson

Front Row: Alan Wooten, Ann Cooper, Susan Baines, ?, Pat Hodgson, Michael Levick

Hi Walt,

Back row between Robert & Roger is it someone called Saul?

Hi Walt, I think the teacher was called Miss Butler or Buckley.Next to Lynn nunn is Linda Ward. Next to Susan Barson is Carol Marsh. Second row left is Margaret Elliott then Christina Hartley. To the left of Sandra Somerset is Christa Shelton then to the right of Sandra I think is Kathleen Crabtree.

didnt know princess di taught the kids at grimy,maybe before she met charlie:loopy:

I think that pub was The Prince of Wales, The Who Can Tell was on Botham Street. I went to school with a lad off Draper Street, Eddy Greenwood.

Hi all !!!

Thanks for the photo posts - boy they brought memories flooding back !!

I still see Alan & Linda Norton - they have an interest in Wentworth Saw Mills ( out Rotherham way ), we occasionally meet up for a meal to catch up on things.

The photo of the Boys Brigade lads reminded me that when I played the side drum ( along with Wrighty ) we were chased from behind by Dave Foottit beating the crap out of the Bass drum, and then by Ian blowing his lungs out on the bugle.You couldn't accuse them of lacking commitment. Ralph also was a great bugler if my memory serves me well.

A thousand apologies Alan, I missed the post when you came in and was reading this one when the penny dropped. I hope you are well and thanks for the compliment. I was only talking to Wrighty a few moments ago.

I remember your Mam and Dad and brother George. There was some blood spilt and a few broken bones mended by the time Crossey had finished with us in your front room. Ralph.

Ralph also was a great bugler if my memory serves me well.
What??? My dad a bugler??? How come we were never subjected to this as kids? I'd have preferred to listen to you bugling rather than that sing something simple crap you forced upon us...

Hi to Skippy by the way - sorry been so quiet, dad's had me locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the last few weeks. I've been let out on good behaviour for a few days. Hope you and Dors are well.

What??? My dad a bugler??? How come we were never subjected to this as kids? I'd have preferred to listen to you bugling rather than that sing something simple crap you forced upon us...

Hi to Skippy by the way - sorry been so quiet, dad's had me locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the last few weeks. I've been let out on good behaviour for a few days. Hope you and Dors are well.

Hi Astronaut77,

Your grandfather wasalso a musician or you carrying on the Aspinall tradition?

Hi Astronaut77,

Your grandfather wasalso a musician or you carrying on the Aspinall tradition?

Should have read are you.