Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

Hi David, nice to hear from you, yes a lot of water, hope you are well.

Ref, David, I think both he and Frank started as steel erectors, mind you a lot of the lads round there went in the building trade.

anyone remember mrs jackson a teacher in the 60is

Yes i do she was my form teacher in about 1972

i had cousins that lived grimesthorpe but dont remember the street that they lived on,they moved off in the 70s after their house was pulled down, there name is gamble

Hello, I am new to this site, but not so new to Grimesthorpe! I was born in Sharp Street off Carlisle Road in 1958. The Crown pub was at the bottom of our street, Douggie Nadins barbers shop was on the opposite corner. I remember the Gambles family that lived in the yard up from us, Bill, the Dad, Elsie the Mum, Marion, Jeanette and another daughter that was younger than us, I dont recall her name. I remember Bradburys Brick Yard whose enterance ( big green double doors) was at the side of the Who Can Tell pub. Does anyone remember any of my family, including my Grandad, Ted Sellars, who went in every pub in Grimesthorpe, including the Grimesthorpe Club, Idsworth Road Club 1950's to1970's Also anybody remember Downings grocers shop on Carlisle Road, opposite the Alexandra Pub, great sweet shop, he also swapped P.G.Tips cards with us!

Hello, I am new to this site, but not so new to Grimesthorpe! I was born in Sharp Street off Carlisle Road in 1958. The Crown pub was at the bottom of our street, Douggie Nadins barbers shop was on the opposite corner. I remember the Gambles family that lived in the yard up from us, Bill, the Dad, Elsie the Mum, Marion, Jeanette and another daughter that was younger than us, I dont recall her name. I remember Bradburys Brick Yard whose enterance ( big green double doors) was at the side of the Who Can Tell pub. Does anyone remember any of my family, including my Grandad, Ted Sellars, who went in every pub in Grimesthorpe, including the Grimesthorpe Club, Idsworth Road Club 1950's to1970's Also anybody remember Downings grocers shop on Carlisle Road, opposite the Alexandra Pub, great sweet shop, he also swapped P.G.Tips cards with us!

the daughter was called Tina,there is a nice photo of the who can tell on the sheffield pictures website.. reguards pigeon

Hi all,we were talking in the pub ( Railway at Brightside) who were the original members of the 4 Mines, Roger Bacon,who is saddly no longer with us, Rex Bacon, who lives just off Jenkin Road, and the other two not sure, Bob and Pete Crawley?

Hi steve h,Just remembered, your father in law used to run the Boys Brigade at Wesley Hall didn't he ?

Hi all, just been reading some of earlier postings,I left Grimesthorpe school, I think '62 Miss Hanson was still there when I left, she must have been like the music tescher at Owler Lane School, Mr Lowe, part of the fixtures and fittings.

Hi mazda5, did Les Johnson marry Diane Storey? I was in the same year as Les, and I think the year above Diane

Morning Geo,

1960, The FOUR MIMES line was; Bill Harington,Rodger & Rex, Bob.

1965, The FOUR MIMES , Rex,Roger,Bob & Pete Crawley

1967, The ORIGINAL THREE DISCOES; Rex & Roger,& Brian Carroll.

1970, The return of Bob Crawley,

In 1980 they appeared at Sheffield City Hall,

If i think on Geo, i,ll let you have a look at a brochure i have got,you will be able to see the photos,One of the quotes says; Elder statesman Roger tells me that,but for Frank Ellershaw and his silvery tongue,the Discoes bandwagon may never have rolled.:

Hi ya Geo,

Just another thing what sprung to mind,I used to have a video of The Discoes final concert at Firth Park WMC but loaned it out and never got it back can,t remember who i lent it to now, but if it turns up in the area i,ll let you have butchers.

Hello All,

Had an interesting half hour last night looking at Kellys directory 1959

on the names/addresses in the grimesthorpe area (Wigleys butchers,Ibbotsons corner shop) loads more,spent rest of night trying to put faces to addresses, after looking at there names,quite interesting.

Hi all, just been reading some of earlier postings,I left Grimesthorpe school, I think '62 Miss Hanson was still there when I left, she must have been like the music tescher at Owler Lane School, Mr Lowe, part of the fixtures and fittings.

Hi mazda5, did Les Johnson marry Diane Storey? I was in the same year as Les, and I think the year above Diane

hi geo

no les married a girl from gleedless then they married and went to live in cat lane then after about 3 yrs went to live in dronfield where he is today

Hi Geotom

Spot on my father in law did run the boys brigade,Jack Dale along with Aurther Gill I think. My mother in law Gladys ran the youth club on a Wednesday night.I didnt do the brigade wasnt my thing, but went to club. I

remember Brian Gill, and David Baxter he was from up Grimesthorpe Rd way,

were both in the band David played side drum.