Anyone from Snow&Co The Wicker 1970s

jgbvngfhvcnv

Edited by EdmundH

I believe my cousin worked there for many years but he sadly died a few years ago. Named terry Knightley.

Hi... Anyone here who worked at Snow&Co Machine Tool makers during the 1970s? I know the place closed down but I don't know exactly when...

Was Snow & Company actually in the Wicker, or on one of the streets that ran off it, Stanley Street for example ?

Think it closed down 1981/1982? I remember some kind of despite,? Think it closed down shortly afterwards? I was at the eitb training centre with two lads that worked there, yes it was off Stanley st, and Johnson st, just off the wicker,

I end up working for lodestar engineering, which was very nearby, another great engineering amongest many others we have sadly lost!

Think it closed down 1981/1982? I remember some kind of despite,? Think it closed down shortly afterwards? I was at the eitb training centre with two lads that worked there, yes it was off Stanley st, and Johnson st, just off the wicker,

I end up working for lodestar engineering, which was very nearby, another great engineering amongest many others we have sadly lost!

Yes 'Lodestar' forgot about them, and was E.I.T.B on Petre Street ?

Edited by stpetre
add

There were 2 Snows works,the old one on Stanley street and the new one on Walker street(I think that is the right name).

Worked in Johannesburg in the mid 70s,they had 3 snow grinders,they did all the heavy grinding,the new fangled German machines couldn't cope with it.

Yes eitb was on Petre st the large building sadly gone, when we stopped caring about industry and training young people doing proper apprenticeships,( now we just training. Them "all" in law!), lodestar on Johnson st , the small side building is still there as a power coating firm now, the large side was pulled down to make way for the derick Dooley ring rd, somebody should make up a list of old ,"forgotten" Engineering firms , before they are wiped from memories.

hghghghrghgv

Edited by EdmundH

I think a bloke called chicko worked a planer there, he later worked at lodestar, I remember the new brick work in the old brickwork on one of the outside walls where a planer table shot off its slides and went thro the wall,!! I ended up working planer/millers at lodestar,

hhghdfgghhgh

Edited by EdmundH

That's him ! As a 19 year old I took over from him when he finished work thro ill health I think, yes he was a chracter indeed,!! I am now 52!, it is so sad what has happened to the engineering in Sheffield, though a few firms are still hanging in there, soon these skills will be lost, . Sadly few people seem care .