The consequence thread (Brexit)

The scottish parliament represents the scottish people and they democratically voted to remain by a far bigger margin than the uk as a whole voted to leave so i'm not sure they consider that they are reneging on anything.

Whether the scottish parliament can block this legislation is a matter for the lawyers, whether they would do is a matter for them.

The scottish people want to remain in the eu, the snp don't want scotland to remain in the uk, it was always the case that a vote to leave the eu would result in demands for a second referendum in scotland.

Maybe Scotland should hold a referendum very quickly, vote to become independent and the we could have another EU referendum without them. That way we could be guaranteed of a much greater % in the Leave vote which would show that the majority of England and Wales want out.

Maybe Scotland should hold a referendum very quickly, vote to become independent and the we could have another EU referendum without them. That way we could be guaranteed of a much greater % in the Leave vote which would show that the majority of England and Wales want out.

Not going to happen. Scotland can't waltz to the front of the EU queue.

I don't think the percentages for leave in England were anything like as strong for remain in Scotland.

As such, more chance Scotland will veto the UK leaving the EU than becoming a fully independent state (last time they only really wanted home rule) and joining the back of the EU queue.

So consequences so far (as in actual events that happened) -

Tories in Leadership crisis - currently Boris Johnson odds on to become the man to take the UK out of the EU.

Labour in complete meltdown - Corbyn's position under threat, but he seems to be rooting out the dissidents (again...), rumours that Corbyn himself has frustrated the Labour campaign to Remain. If true, that could trigger further contest to his position.

SNP only party still standing. Sturgeon playing a blinder in the press and politically so far. No matter what happens, it is clear that the Scots are going to have a huge impact.

Sinn Fein is calling for a border poll. Whether they get it or not, Brexit will definitely have an impact on free movement between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Gibraltar is reeling. After a local Spain/UK referendum they wanted to stay in the UK, new referendum and they wanted to stay in the EU... Nobody really understands what is going on there anymore.

EU is pushing for quick decisions, they don't want their economy to suffer because of this situation.

Conclusion: Establishment has been rocked. Nobody knows what to do next it appears. If, as seems likely, Boris gets the keys to the Aston Martin, he will likely go for the option whereby the UK do not renege on the single market, he has repeatedly said that access to the single market is crucial. How he is going to marry that with: Not sending money to the EU, reducing migration, not being subject to EU law anymore, as well as covering the shortfall in local authority budgets, university budgets and so on is a mystery.

indeed lets celebrate the end of a union that's lasted 40 years by ending another one which has lasted 300

I don't think the percentages for leave in England were anything like as strong for remain in Scotland.

As such, more chance Scotland will veto the UK leaving the EU than becoming a fully independent state (last time they only really wanted home rule) and joining the back of the EU queue.

I don't think Scotland can veto the UK leaving?

i'm quite sure that the eu realised how big a mess unpicking scotland from england and wales would be in 2014 which is why they kept well out of the debate.

i'm quite sure they will do the same if scotland decides on having a second referendum only taking a visible interest when the deed is done.

given scotland has been part of the eu then i imagine that the membership criteria will be pretty much met and they will be in.

---------- Post added 26-06-2016 at 15:13 ----------

I don't think Scotland can veto the UK leaving?

surfing round the net then opinion seems divided

indeed lets celebrate the end of a union that's lasted 40 years by ending another one which has lasted 300

Scotland will do the same as Ireland did and hold a referendum till it gets what it wants. A union is usually a balanced 2 way affair and that definitely is not what the EU has become and I think the vote for leave has shown that.

What strikes me as odd is that every country in the EU wanted independence and yet the were eagerly bribed to join a big club that robbed them of most of it.

So consequences so far (as in actual events that happened) -

Tories in Leadership crisis - currently Boris Johnson odds on to become the man to take the UK out of the EU.

Labour in complete meltdown - Corbyn's position under threat, but he seems to be rooting out the dissidents (again...), rumours that Corbyn himself has frustrated the Labour campaign to Remain. If true, that could trigger further contest to his position.

SNP only party still standing. Sturgeon playing a blinder in the press and politically so far. No matter what happens, it is clear that the Scots are going to have a huge impact.

Sinn Fein is calling for a border poll. Whether they get it or not, Brexit will definitely have an impact on free movement between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Gibraltar is reeling. After a local Spain/UK referendum they wanted to stay in the UK, new referendum and they wanted to stay in the EU... Nobody really understands what is going on there anymore.

EU is pushing for quick decisions, they don't want their economy to suffer because of this situation.

Conclusion: Establishment has been rocked. Nobody knows what to do next it appears. If, as seems likely, Boris gets the keys to the Aston Martin, he will likely go for the option whereby the UK do not renege on the single market, he has repeatedly said that access to the single market is crucial. How he is going to marry that with: Not sending money to the EU, reducing migration, not being subject to EU law anymore, as well as covering the shortfall in local authority budgets, university budgets and so on is a mystery.

Right wing parties in both Holland and France are now calling for their own referendum ,some thing that did not happen in the U.K by the way.

---------- Post added 26-06-2016 at 15:13 ----------

surfing round the net then opinion seems divided

I cant understand how they could as it does not go to parliament for a vote so SMP's dont have any say in the matter.

Right wing parties in both Holland and France are now calling for their own referendum ,some thing that did not happen in the U.K by the way.

As is their democratic right. If they achieve the required majority/political support they can call their own referendum. It will be decided in elections, as it should be.

It did happen here by the way, remember that the Tories won a surprise majority, it doesn't take a genius to realise now that the promise of a referendum was mostly the reason for that.

Another not unrelated consequence of brexit is president Donald trump. I'll put money on it now.